SIG Trailside

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jambie

SIG Trailside

Post by jambie » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:04 pm

Hi:
Went ahead and bought a Sig Trailside :)
So far 500 rounds and no problems. I am very happy with it.
However, I would like to lighten the trigger pull. Right now it is about 4 lbs and would like to bring it to 2 lbs.
Any body have any experience with this trigger?
I also see that Larrysguns.com sells a trigger kit for the Trailside. Has anybody gone ahead and installed the kit?

Thanks

jambie

Post by jambie » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Found this on the Bullseye list. Posted by E. Masaki

HI MEMBERS. ANY PERSON THAT BOUGHT THE TRAILSIDE RECENTLY AND
FOUND THE TRIGGER PULL LITTLE
HEAVY CAN ADJUST IT LIGHTER. REMOVE THE GRIPS, GET OR MAKE A THIN
SCREW DRIVER THAT WOULD FIT
BETWEEN THE HAMMER STRUT. MAKE SURE THE HAMMER IS FORWARD AND NOT
COCKED. FIT THE SCREWDRIVER
INTO THE HAMMER STRUT AND INTO THE SMALL HOLE THAT IS RIGHT IN THE REAR
OF THE TRIGGER. YOU WILL
NOTICE THERE IS A SCREW LIKE THING STICKING OUT OF THE FRAME. YOU WILL
ALSO NOTICE WHEN YOU PRESS
THE TRIGGER IT PRESSES ONTO THE BALL LIKE THING THAT IS STICKING OUT OF
THE SCREW. NOW TURN THE SCREW
VERY LITTLE COUNTER CLOCKWISE (THAT IS TO THE LEFT). COCK THE HAMMER
AND TRY THE TRIGGER. IF YOU TURN
THE SCREW TOO MUCH THE HAMMER WILL DROP WHILE YOU ARE TAKING UP THE
SLACK. THAT'S DANGEROUS. THE
TRIGGER SHOULD REST ON THAT BALL AND WHEN YOU PRESS IT FURTHER THE
HAMMER SHOULD DROP. THAT BALL
HAS A SPRING INSIDE THAT GIVES THE TENSION. DO IT VERY SLOW AND
CAREFULL. I GOT MINE TO DROP AT
2.25 LBS. ED M.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-
Bullseye-L Email Discussion Forum

JimK

Post by JimK » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:12 am

:) Hi, I've been reading some reviews on the new Sig Trailside and they look impressive. Got a couple questions if you don't mind>
1. Which model did you get?
2. How much
3. Can you mount a weaver style rail/mount on the pistol and is there a rail or mount available for the pistol?
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi Jim:
I got the 6 inch target model. It has adjustable sights and I paid $360 for it.
The gun has a built in rail (more like a grove) which the scope rings can grip. Larrysguns.com sells a set of rings for 10 dollars. I got mine from a friend and have mounted an ultradot with them. Nice set up. I am not sure if the rings that come with the ultradot will fit this gun.
THe gun has been very reliable so far. My only complaint is the grip which is made of plastic and does not fit my hand very well. They are also slippery if your palm is sweaty. I will probably put a couple of strips of skateboarder tape.
Larrysguns sells an anatomical grip for it but they are out of them and dont know when they will get more.
The gun is much lighter than my Rugger MarkIII and is not built as sturdy. It is however very accurate and, so far, reliable.
I have not taken the gun apart for cleaning yet, but I understand that in order to do so the ultradot will have to be removed.
By the way, the magazines are all plastic and expensive.
Although my gun came with a 4lb trigger, it can be adjusted down simply with a screwdriver. The trigger pull is, however, very nice with a little roll just before it breaks

JimK

Post by JimK » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi, I thought maybe you had cleaned and replaced the Ultradot on your new Trailside. I was curious how difficult it was to strip and reassemble and if you lost zero on the scope.
The gun looks like a nice one and I'm thinking seriously aout getting one if I can find it for what you paid around here.
Anyway, look to hear about the above.
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Here is a source for the Trailside

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

I have not yet gone through a cleaning so I dont know whether the red dot will have to be re-zeroed. However, because of the way it is mounted, I imagine that I will have to re-zero it each time the gun is taken down.

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:53 pm

JimK wrote::) Can you mount a weaver style rail/mount on the pistol and is there a rail or mount available for the pistol?
Jim
Hi Jim,
Yes, there are Weaver style scope mounts for the trailside. I'm using a mount made by Weigand which is very well built, mounts solidly, and I don't lose zero with un/remounting. http://www.jackweigand.com/Sig_Arms_Ham ... lside.html
I have an Ultra Dot 'Match Dot' mounted & it's plenty rigid.
Steve ..

JimK

Trailside

Post by JimK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:55 pm

HELLO,
I bit the bullet this afternoon and bought a Sig Trailside Target w/4.5" barrel. :D I feel the gun shop gave me a fair deal $350+taxes, but I think they might have made some $'s up on the extra mag I bought. Those darn mags are expensive $40.00 (I'll get along with two for a while, lol)
ha.
The Weigand mount's are very good (I've had one on my S&W 686 357 and never had any problems). Guess I'll have to order one of those for this Trailside and an Ultradot 4d from Larry's tomorrow.
The gun isn't pretty like the Ruger, but it feels good in my hand and if it's as good and accurate as my MKIII Hunter, then I've got my backup target and Pins gun.
I'll let you know what I think of it after this weekend at the range.
Jim

JimK

Post by JimK » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:43 am

:( Darn.......things have come up and I'll not get to go range this weekend to try out my new Trailside.
I have been checking out the gun, reading the manual, etcl and wondered if any of you had had any problems with stripping and reassembling the gun.
Since it's got the 4.5" barrel the Weigland mount wont work because I guess it will only fit on the 6.0" barrel. So....I'm trying to come up with a solution for a red dot mount that will let me remove it without losing zero everytime I want to clean the gun.
Any ideas????
Thanks,
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:10 pm

Jim:
I finally decided to clean the trailside after 2000 rounds. I decided not to strip the gun down for for fear of loosing my zero with the red dot. Instead, I used a tootbrush and a can of brake cleaner. Worked fine. Scrubbed the rails and chamber. I dont think you need to take the gun down for a good clean. The barrel can be cleaned with a patchworm.
By the way, the hammer, sear mechanisms did not get dirty at all :). You can access these simply by removing the grips.
Overall, this is just a great gun. It has a fabulous trigger and I am very happy with it.

JimK

Post by JimK » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:10 pm

:) Jambie, glad to hear that about the cleaning deal. I ran a bore snake through it ahd scurbbed what I could reach with a toothbrush and Q-tips with the aid of Break Free CLP to get it ready to go. Almost smells like a gun should now.
I forget, but I think you have the 6"barrel don't you? I have the 4.5" and a Weigand isn't available for the short barrel so I'm going to have to find a rail to put on it for my red dot scope.
What do you have on yours? I've been thinking about giving a holo a shot. Those little BSA's are only about $70 bucks so if it doesn't work out I wont be out too much. Probably will end up with another Ultradot which I think are fantastic scopes
Cheers,
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi Jim:
Yup, got the 6" model with adjustable sights and am very happy with it.
I mounted the ultradot directly on the built-in dovetail using a set of rings which I got from a friend. The rings which come with the ultradot will not fit. However, you can buy a set of rings for about $10 which are designed for the Trailside from larrysguns.com
I am not sure how the holosights mount. They may just clamp in, in which case they may fit. You'll have to inquire about this.

JimK

Post by JimK » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:40 pm

Yeah, I thought so. I have the target as well, but with the red dot or holo it doesn't really matter. Mullet sells a nice set of dovetail rings for about 15 or 20 bucks that will work for the Ultradot and I'm not sure about the holo.
Would it be too much trouble to ask you to send oa pic of the gun with the scope mounted on it?
Thanks,
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:02 pm

I'll try to borrow a camera this week and post pictures.

JimK

Post by JimK » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:50 pm

Went to the range today and gave the new Trailside a test run.
It went pretty well with very few FTF's shooting Federal's bulk pack ammo. The gun was pretty accurate with the target sights that came on the gun so really no complaints there. I'm sure once I get an Ultradot on it that will improve.
Right now I don't care for the way it feels in my hand, but that may be due to being used to the MKIII and S&W 22A1 pistols that are fantastic shooters and comfort guns.
I didn't care for the way it threw spent cases every which way and I'm glad I wore my hat. I should have thought about that when I saw that open breech. ha
The way it looks now I'm going to have to be careful about where I mount the scope because if it's too far back the empties being ejected will beat the hell out of it. I have the 4.5" barrel on this gun. Any you guys had any experience dealing with this issue?
Thanks,
Jim