hunter mark lll

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

kc

hunter mark lll

Post by kc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:35 am

first I would like to say thanks for all the help I have recieved by reading this forum.I am still not completely clear on one thing,I ordered the mark ll target hammer and target sear for my mark lll hunter is this the only parts I need and assume will fit the mark lll pistol.I read something about the hammer bushing is this needed or can I just use the factory one.I'm sorry if this is redundent but just wanted to make sure.I will be using the pistol for hunting and some target shooting. by the way this is the vQ hammer and sear from rimfire sports & custom, and from what I understand this will do away with the mag safety.please verify. :roll:

Keystone

Post by Keystone » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:14 am

Welcome kc
I, like you have done a lot of reading on this forum and not much posting. As to your question, yes you will need a Mark II bushing to go with the Mark II hammer and you can get it from Clarks Custom Guns http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22pts.htm#ruger part # CLK-515 either in SS or Blue depending on your gun. It comes in a kit with a oversized pin to take most of the slop out of the hammer.

5focus

Post by 5focus » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:13 pm

I installed the MarkII hammer and sear on my MarkIII Hunter. The trigger pull is about 2# and crisp. Far as adding the Clark brushing, I don't think its needed.

The hammer and sear made a great difference for my shooting scores.

kc

Post by kc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:33 pm

thanks for the replies.I was also considering machining a mag deactivation bushing like the one bullseye posted but was not sure if this is all one piece or just the spacer washer to keep the hammer centered.it seems that you could just machine the washers.bullseye would you please clarify this for me.THANKS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:55 pm

kc wrote:thanks for the replies.I was also considering machining a mag deactivation bushing like the one bullseye posted but was not sure if this is all one piece or just the spacer washer to keep the hammer centered.it seems that you could just machine the washers.bullseye would you please clarify this for me.THANKS
Hello KC and welcome to Guntalk-Online! You're in good company on this forum, there's a great group of members.

The answer to your question is either. Both an extended bushing or a spacer washer can be used to remove the magazine safety disconnector hook and the safety disconnector spring. I actually made both to test the feasibility. You do want the hammer to stay in place and not have any free play.

Remove the parts and install the bushing or install the washer on the OEM bushing spacer. If you choose you can order the Clark bushing and use it with your Mark II hammer. For $15 it's a bargain in my book. Plus, you also get some hammer and sear pivot pins too.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

kc

hunter mark lll

Post by kc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:10 pm

thanks for the reply. I can see that your right, these are a bunch of good guys and seem very sharp,so with all of your experience what would you say is the most feasible way to go on this mark lll , which way would you go.I'm sorry but I just don't like the ideal of flat warshers.I guess that is one of my faults I'm just to dog gone paticular.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:34 pm

If you have easy access to precision machine tools and the knowledge to use them, then I'd make my own bushing spacer. If either of these are limited for you, then buying the kit from Clark is the more prudent thing to do. You almost have to ask yourself, "How much is my time worth to me?"

Here's another view of the plans in case you need it.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

kc

Post by kc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:51 pm

thanks again everyone .I guess I'll go with the bushing, I have a good friend of mine here at work that works in our machine shop.I work in a large chemical plant.For some reason I thought the mark ll hammer was wider and would replace the need for any type of spacer.I guess I could have saved the money and used my existig hammer.I better get out of here ,being that we got off a half hour ago. Ya'll have a great weekend and thanks for all of your help.

kc

Post by kc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:55 pm

well, I installed the vq mark ll hammer and sear and is unbelievable the difference it made.I knew I shouldn't had said nothing about the washers bacause I had to use them,I just could not wait to see the results.could someone tell me if it is normal not to be able to pull the bolt back if the gun is in safety.I took the pistol apart several times to make sure everything was in order,but still the same results.The gun shoots fine. :roll:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:08 pm

It is normal. The thumb safety captures the sear and won't allow it to move. When you attempt to move the hammer by retracting the bolt, the sear face will not allow the hammer's hook to pass by. This is exactly how the internal lock works in the Mark III pistol. The mainspring locking screw head cannot be unscrewed unless the thumb safety is set to "on." When it is on, the bolt cannot be moved because the sear is locked, thus locking the pistol closed.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

kc

Post by kc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:15 pm

Thanks again bullseye, I guess I should have realized this.I have only taken the gun apart about a hundred times.what is the lightest trigger pull you can use for competition.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:22 pm

If you're talking NRA Conventional Pistol (Bullseye) shooting then a 22 trigger cannot be less than 2 lbs. This is measured with a dead weight. If the weight can be lifted off the table (high or long) enough to pull a dollar bill out from under it - the weapon passes the weight limit.

R,
Bullseye

kc

Post by kc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:29 pm

This pistol has what I would call a hair trigger,But is sure has helped my shooting . I have never seen nothing like it. will have to try the weight test, I did have to file some off the pin that goes through the hammer and holds the strut arm because it was dragging on the safety lever causing it to be hard to operate.any comments would be appreciated :lol: !!!!

maximaman77

Post by maximaman77 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:34 pm

kc wrote:well, I installed the vq mark ll hammer and sear and is unbelievable the difference it made.I knew I shouldn't had said nothing about the washers bacause I had to use them, I just could not wait to see the results.could someone tell me if it is normal not to be able to pull the bolt back if the gun is in safety.I took the pistol apart several times to make sure everything was in order,but still the same results.The gun shoots fine. :roll:
Bullseye, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the VQ MK2 hammer supposed to take up the space left behind when the mag safety lever is removed?

I currently have washers in my 22/45 and have been thinking about getting the VQ hammer to go with the sear I have, that and also buying a set of Clark bushings.
I won't get the hammer if it's not wider, I'll just get the bushings.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:27 pm

Welcome Maximaman.

You're not wrong. The Mark II hammer does not have the step cut into the side like a Mark III hammer does for the magazine safety components. But a Mark II hammer does need a Mark II hammer bushing. KC installed one without a bushing and tried to use the Mark III bushing sleeve. There's too much space that way and a spacer is needed to fill the gap, albeit a smaller gap than one of a Mark III hammer, it is still a gap. This is where the Mark II hammer bushing comes in, it takes up the rest of the space between the Mark II hammer and the regular trigger disconnector lever.

If you want to totally remove the Mark III magazine disconnector, then install a Mark II hammer and a Mark II hammer bushing. This is especially necessary for a 22/45, because any extra gap on the hammer can allow the hammer pivot pin to slide to the right and break out the inside of the grip frame. Something similar has happened to several people with Mark III 22/45 frames recently, only with the regular Mark III hammer and safety parts. You want zero wiggle room or big problems can develop with that frame.

R,
Bullseye