New Scope for my Ruger...

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

New Scope for my Ruger...

Post by Baldy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:26 pm

I just jumped in and bought me a new Mueller Red Dot to shoot steel matches with. I am going to try it out this weekend maybe. It has a couple of other settings besides just the dot. That might help me and it maynot. My other scope was taking way to much time to get on target. :lol:

Last edited by Baldy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:28 am

The reflex style sight can aid in target acquisition for shooting steel matches. Hopefully this one will make shooting them easier for you.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 pm

The mueller seems to get good reviews. I have a reflex that died an early death. I liked the fast acquisition you got from the sight. At least while it lasted.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 pm

The Mueller QS carries a 3yr warranty. But so far I have not heard of any that have failed. I'm more impressed with the battery life. I have left mine on for several days at a time and it's still ticking.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

wagon

Post by wagon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Congrat for the new sight, baldy! It looks VERY good with your MkIII. Mueller sights are under rated, I trust that yours will out-perform many others.

Enjoy!

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:13 pm

So far the service from Joe Bobs has been spot on. He has done everything he said he would, and also sent a extra battery with the scope. Just playing around with it so far, but I think it may do the job I want. :D

wagon

Post by wagon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Yes, Joe is a great guy.. I bought a Mueller AVP for my CZ451 from him... order placed at 3pm, received UPS ship notice at 4pm.. within an hour. FASTEST I've ever experienced.

I consider getting the Mueller reflex sight from him ... just decided to go with an used UltraDot. I do believe that reflex sight has their place... I may buy one down the road.

Enjoy!

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Nice looking sight. Please let us know about things like battery life, etc.
Last spring, I got a TruGlo for around $70. So far I like it. It's on a 10/22 that I use for steel challenge matches. Target acquisiton is great. Choice of reticles, etc. Anyway, for me, it's a much cleaner sight picture than open sights, and my battery life is OK (if I remember to turn it off)
I may upgrade later on, or get another one for another gun.
If my experience with this one is any indicator, I think you will like yours.
My eyes ain't getting any younger.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:33 am

Medicine Hat wrote:Nice looking sight. Please let us know about things like battery life, etc.
Last spring, I got a TruGlo for around $70. So far I like it. It's on a 10/22 that I use for steel challenge matches. Target acquisiton is great. Choice of reticles, etc. Anyway, for me, it's a much cleaner sight picture than open sights, and my battery life is OK (if I remember to turn it off)
I may upgrade later on, or get another one for another gun.
If my experience with this one is any indicator, I think you will like yours.
My eyes ain't getting any younger.
I did the same as you and bought the TurGlo for my 22/45 and I am well satisfied with it also. For plinking or bullseye shooting it does a fine job. I have been practicing with it for steel matches. As Mr Blue would say " the dot was gaining legs" on me sometimes. I would have to let the gun settle before I could pick up the dot. I'll know more after I shoot the Mueller reflex. :lol:

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:43 am

This TruGlo has 20moa peep, crosshair, 6moa center dot, and 5moa dot in red or green color. I've settled on the green crosshairs which for me seems more sharp and clear, and leaves the target mostly un-obscured.
I looked up the Mueller on Joe Bob's and it isn't really that much more expensive, but I didn't look at the specifics (re:above). If you find yours is good, etc., I might give one a go for one of my pistols. I've become a fan of the .22 steel challenge stuff. Locally, they shoot a slight variation of the Ruger Rimfire series. I'ts close enough that you feel strange at a sanctioned Ruger Rimfire match. Just good fun, with good folks. Does it get any better? :)

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Nice looking set up, Baldy, that should be a lot of fun.
I have a "Matchdot" sight for my Mark lll Hunter,
but lately I have been enjoying the challenge of the iron sights.
I always feel it's a special skill set to be able to shoot
irons with accuracy, but my eyes are the main limiting factor.
It is amazing how accurate one can be when some decent optics are installed, though.
Good luck with them,
Haka

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Well I made it to the range today. I took 100rds each for my two pistols. It was Aguila Super Extra. Took about two mags for me to get the sites tuned in to where I wanted them. My MK-III above is one fine pistol and the Mueller Reflex is the cats Meow. If you are like me with failing eye sight this is the one. Most shots within 3"circle at 30'.

Now my 22/45 with the TruGlo on it is a great outfit too and would work well for shooting bullseye. I had three failures to eject with this ammo and all with different mags. I was keeping most all shots within a 3" circle with a few flyer's.

I felt I should be doing a little better so I got out a 100rds of Federals. Ran 50rds through each pistol without any problems and got my groups down to almost all 2" at 30'.

:lol: OK now you guys can quit laughing at me. All I can say it sure was fun and I learn a lesson about ammo today. :D
Last edited by Baldy on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 pm

" All I can say it sure was fun and I learn a lesson about ammo today."

:thumbs up:
That is what it's all about. It doesn't get any better than a good day shooting. Good to hear the new sight is working well for you too.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 pm

I just got my gun with the TruGlo out, because something in your picture of the Meuller rang a bell.
Basically, it, and my TruGlo are identical in profile, all controls, and even the screw placement on the mount. Could they possiblly originate with the same manufacturer??? I don't know. :?:

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Here's what my TruGlo is. It's mounted on my 22/45 and off the bench with Black Box Eley ammo it's a tack driver. It has a 40mm tube. :D