New 22A-1 Report

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

JimK

New 22A-1 Report

Post by JimK » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Hey-There! Went to the range yesterday (indoor) with my new 22A-1. I can't say I was too impressed. The accuracy was there, but I swear...I couldn't get through a simgle mag without a FFF :x . I was shooting Wall Mart specials (Federal 550 bulk pack) which have never given me any trouble with any of my 22's.
Wanting to be fair, I had only run a bore snake with CLP through the muzzle and Q-Tip's around the chamaber,ramp,etc before shooting (probably a bad idea, but I was anxious).
I also took my little 22 sweetie (MKIII SS 67/8" fluted brl Hunter) along for it eats anything I feed it like Popeye eats spinach. So....as a test I took the FFF shells (15-20) from the S&W and loaded them into a MKIII mag and DAMN if that MKIII didn't fire all but two of those things. :? .
I noticaed when I released the slide after putting in a fresh mag it would catch or drag before fully releasing and chambering a shell and closing. I checked the mag's and they looked ok so I'm stumped.
I field stripped and thoroughly cleaned the gun this morning (What is that thing On page 23, Fig 29 in the manual they say to lub?) I also bought a few hundred rounds of CCI mini mag's to see if it likes them better. Cross your fingers and maybe just being real clean will make the difference.
Any ideas or advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Jim

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:58 pm

See how the other ammo and lube works.

Can't offer any fixes, but will make the following observations:
It could be lubrication, firing pin or a change in the quality of the Federal Bulk ammo.

I bought an S&W22A-1 about 6 months ago. I settled in on the Wallyworld Federal bulk and CCI standard velocity. I would get about 2/100 Federals not to fire in the 22A and almost no FTF's with the CCI. The pistol was very dependable. About 3 months ago I bought a MKIII678H (just like yours). I've been shooting both at about equal rounds since, mostly Federal with some CCI thrown in. I shoot about 500 rounds/week. I usually buy the Federals 2 bricks at a time.

About a month ago, I decided to lighten up on the lubrication and switched to two new boxes of Federal. My FTF rate in the 22A increased. All cases were dented. About 80% of the FTF's would fire in the Ruger. No problems with CCI. I passed it off as a problem lot of Federal Ammo. Last weekend I did a more thorough cleaning of the bolt face around the firing pin. (My 22A gets cleaned after each firing). Yesterday, I had an increased FTF (50%) rate with Federal (new box) and an increased FTF rate with CCI. (So much for cleaning). About half the FTF's fired in the Ruger.

I noticed last night that the firing pin seems to be flopping around a bit. I'm tossing a coin on whether to attempt removal of the slide cover and examine/replace the firing pin, spring and firing pin stop pin or send it back to S&W. Plan to Lube the slide a bit heavier and try it tomorrow.

Long, winded and no help for you, but maybe it will help a 22A expert.

JimK

Post by JimK » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:50 pm

HILLO! Well I ran 100 rounds of CCI mini mags and over 100 Fed's through the S&W 22A-1 this morning and had only 4 FTF's. and they were 2 of each brand.
The FTF's came towards the end of the two hour session when I could tell the slide was getting harder to pull back. Hopefully as the gun gets broken in and I know it likes being real clean things will get better.
I can't really report fairly about the guns accuracy because I was anticipating FTF's all the time. :? However, as the gun gets more dependable and my confidence in it improves I can then focus on accuracy. If it doesn't improve then it's gone and I'll be looking at the BM.
Thanks,
Jim
PS: I still don't know what that lube point is in Fig. 29. lol

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:35 pm

Keep plugging with the 22A. I think you are going to enjoy it. In some situations and times I prefer the 22A to my MKIII678H. (One of those happens to be that my wife prefers it.). Up to a point, I think the 22A is as accurate as the Ruger.

JimK

22a report

Post by JimK » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks greener, If things go well today with the gun I probably will try using it Thursday night when we shoot pins.
Haven't any practice with it yet, but what the heck.....it'll either sink or swim (performance wise).
Jim

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:08 pm

Jimk: if you didn't find the lube point in Figure 29, the lube points are the inside edges of the bottom of the slide. That tiny picture is not all that clear. I've just lubed the slide before I reinstall it.