Ruger MKIII pencil/fixed sight: mount option(s)?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

wagon

Ruger MKIII pencil/fixed sight: mount option(s)?

Post by wagon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the site, and newbie to rimfire pistol. I recently purchased a Ruger SS 6" standard with fixed sight (which is in-transit), it will be my first rimfire handgun and probably will not be the last. :D

My aging eyesight relies on optic to shoot and I plan to add a red dot to it.. however, after searching around, it appears to me that all those non-D-T mounts are limited for models with adjustable rear sight only?

So for Standard model with fixed sight, what mount option(s) do I have? Am I limited to only Drill & Tap?

Thanks for the help.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 am

Welcome to Guntalk-online!

The dovetail slot on the Ruger receiver is the same size for either the fixed or adjustable rear sights. You can drift out the rear sight and add in any of the non-gunsmith style sight rails. The Weigand Combat no gunsmithing sight mount rail would be perfect for your standard model. RS&C Weigand mount

R,
Bullseye

wagon

Post by wagon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 am

Bullseye, thanks for your fast reply to help this noob.. you've just made my day :D

I never knew that they shared the same dove tail, from the photos I could find from the web, the slot just LOOKS wider on those with adjustable rear.

Guess I'm all good to go :D

Thanks again!!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Wagon,

Welcome to GunTalk-Online

I can relate to the aging eyes. I have switched over to a Mueller Quick Shot reflex dot sight on my MKIII. I also have a 2x Bushnell scope for it too. The QS is very fast for target aquisition. Has plenty of brightness for use in bright sun light.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

wagon

Post by wagon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for the welcomes!

I went to Sportsman warehouse today, they don't have much but I did get to try out the Vortex SPARC .. my very 1st time to look through a red dot.. I like it at 1x, but very difficult with the 2x, not much eye relief. SPARC comes with the Vortex's lifetime warranty but the profile is just too wide for pistol making it VERY awkward to mount on a MK. Don't think I'd buy it.

They also have a Millett SP1 very light -- construction & quality reflects the $70 price tag. They don't have any reflex in store but the guy took out a Sig556 mounted with an oem reflex - no battery -- but it surely provides a better sight picture than tube scopes; but on other hand, it has a taller profile than tube scope. I think Burris or JPoint has smaller profile?

I think I'll hit Cabela's tomorrow to try a few more... :D

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Wagon. We must be a bunch of old timers as I got my first red dot with a 40mm tube. It's a TurGlo and I like it real well. No squinting with this one. :lol: Here's a picture of it on the .22/45.

wagon

Post by wagon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks, Baldy... never knew there are 40mm scope.. gotta take a look at it.

BTW, is that a MGW mount that you have? How you like it? Some has expressed that the single screw may be an issue... but I think that it MIGHT not be an issue for a low recoil .22 AND on a stationary receiver. Would you buy again?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 am

I have had an MGW mount on my personal Mark I for many years and had no issues with the single screw loosening. A little bit of torque and a dab of Locktite keeps it secure.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm

wagon wrote:Thanks, Baldy... never knew there are 40mm scope.. gotta take a look at it.

BTW, is that a MGW mount that you have? How you like it? Some has expressed that the single screw may be an issue... but I think that it MIGHT not be an issue for a low recoil .22 AND on a stationary receiver. Would you buy again?
Yes I would buy this setup again. That's a Vorquartsen rail, with a TruGlo red dot site. A drop of locktite keeps everything in place. It's very easy to aquire your target with this site. :lol:

giuseppe

Post by giuseppe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Way back in the day, Weaver made a no hole mount for Ruger Auto Pistols. The part # is/was 08606. I still have one new in box I never used, that I purchased back in 1981/1982 or so for my (then new) Mark I Target.
giuseppe

wagon

Post by wagon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Does yours look like this? http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accesso ... 863XX.html
giuseppe wrote:Way back in the day, Weaver made a no hole mount for Ruger Auto Pistols. The part # is/was 08606. I still have one new in box I never used, that I purchased back in 1981/1982 or so for my (then new) Mark I Target.

giuseppe

Post by giuseppe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:19 pm

wagon wrote:Does yours look like this? http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accesso ... 863XX.html
giuseppe wrote:Way back in the day, Weaver made a no hole mount for Ruger Auto Pistols. The part # is/was 08606. I still have one new in box I never used, that I purchased back in 1981/1982 or so for my (then new) Mark I Target.
Yes it does:

First time out of the box since I bought it.
giuseppe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:37 pm

I've installed a few Weaver mounts similar to this one but it went with the Ruger adjustable target rear sight instead of the fixed Standard model. I see the part that replaces the fixed rear sight in guiseppe's picture. There's only one screw holding this mount down so using Locktite thread locking sealant is a must.

R,
Bullseye

giuseppe

Post by giuseppe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 pm

The instructions with it indicate to remove the fixed( on standard) or adjustable rear (from the Mark I), and replace it with the included sight; which the mount slips over.

Not a perfect method but it was the best they had in the early 1980s.
giuseppe

wagon

Post by wagon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Between MGW and Weigand, which will let the scope sits closer to the barrel? Or is the difference insignificant that it doesn't matter?

I'm going buy one without seeing in person (not available locally).. just try to "get it right the first time" .. :D

Thanks!