Marvel Conversion

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jambie

Post by jambie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:47 pm

Bullseye:
Sorry to change the topic, but I see you are using a marvel conversion.
How well does it work and how does it compare to a target gun like the izh-35.
I guess the trigger will be comparatively heavy since you are using the .45 set up. But besides the trigger, would it be a good bullseye set up?

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:54 pm

I split the topic into a new one because this question strayed far off of the original one.

The Marvel 22 conversion works very well. It is one of the most accurate of the 22 conversion kits. It is designed to fit onto a 1911 frame and act mechanically like a Model 41. That is, the barrel and sights are hard mounted onto the frame and the slide operates independently of them. If installed properly the kit will produce very tight groups. Installation is a snap but apparently some folks feel they don't need to follow the manufacturers instruction sheet.

This unit can be had in two forms, one for action style shooting and the other for formal target shooting. The unit can have either a set of adjustable iron sights or one without sights and a weaver rail milled into the top. The good news is if you decide to change there is the option of just buying the top mounting rib section for about $75.

The kit functions very smoothly. I've had no problems with it since I got it. There's one drawback- there is no last shot hold open feature. I plan on making a hold open device - I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This unit uses a standard Colt ACE magazines. I've heard the Kimber plastic ones work too, but I haven't tried it myself.

I'd put this Marvel .22 pistol kit up against any of the top models, for accuracy and ease of operation. It will fit onto most 1911 frames, including the Para Ordnance ones. If your planning on using it on a Para you need the right magazines, they have panels installed on the sides for the wider magazine well. If you have a dedicated frame, you can have the trigger set to 2 1/2 pounds for rimfire shooting.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

jambie

Post by jambie » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks Bullseye:
I was wondering where this post went :D
I will keep this conversion in mind as a back up in case the izh-35 is unavailable.

jambie

Post by jambie » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:42 am

Bullseye:
Is the marvel conversion as accurate as a markII?
If so, I may just forego the izh.
Any downside to the conversion besides the fact that it wont lock open after the last shot?
Very intriguing!

thanks!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:10 pm

I find the Marvel conversion every bit as accurate as any target quality handgun. The Marvel uses high quality Shilen match grade barrel blanks. The company says their pistol will shoot under 1" @ 50yds. They even send a sample test target with the unit. So far, my testing/experimentation shows the company's claims are accurate. Of course one brand of ammo may perform better or worse than that, but a little experimenting will easily reveal a good ammo choice.

The only other potential down side could be the unit is made mainly out of anodized aluminum. This means the finish could be dinged or damaged fairly easily. Since I use it for target shooting/practice I do not see this as a problem. Someone who is action shooting or wants to use it in holster/carrying situations might feel otherwise.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

jambie

Post by jambie » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:19 pm

Thanks for the input Bullseye. The Marvel conversion looks like a nice way to go.