Baikal izh-35

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jambie

Baikal izh-35

Post by jambie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:57 pm

I am thinking of getting the russian built izh-35 .22 lr as a bullseye gun.
If anybody has any experience (reliability, accuracy, servicing) with this gun could you share it?
Also, any suggestions as to where to order it?

Thanks

Zed

Post by Zed » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi jambie,
Not sure where you're located, but in the US I don't believe the IZH 35M has been imported for a couple of years. THe last importer I know of is EAA. If you want an 'Ivan', your best bet is to keep an eye out for them on the auction lists, they do show up pretty regularly.
I do have an IZH & absolutely love its reliability and accuracy. It's my primary .22 for bullseye. I'm amazed at it's ability to digest any ammo I may stuff into it and it's tolerance for dirt & crud build-up. Kind of funny, actually, when it starts getting really dirty it has a tendency to drop a grungy black mouse turd on your trigger finger & keeps on shooting! I'm pretty certain it was designed that way..
If you intend to use a dot sight you will learn really fast that you must locktite the top shroud screws as the sight rail mounts to the top shroud & when those screws do work loose - alarmingly fast- your groups go right out the window. :o

Steve ..

jambie

Post by jambie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:17 am

Thanks Zed. Sounds like a good gun. The bit about the mouse pellet in the trigger makes it even a more fascinating piece :D
I am going to keep my eyes open for one.

jambie

Post by jambie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:26 pm

After much searching, the chances of finding a new izh-35 look slim.

Has anybody had any experience with the Sig Trailsidel. It looks like a great gun with Hammerli innards. It is priced at about $350

I would be interested in hearing from somebody that has one. In particular, what do you think of its trigger?

Thanks

Zed

Post by Zed » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 am

jambie wrote: Has anybody had any experience with the Sig Trailside
Jambie, I have to think you are looking for recently discontinued guns... :lol:

The Sig Trailside was the Hammerli X-esse marketed in the US as a Sig. Hammerli was purchased by Walther & Sigarms no longer imports this pistol. :(
I do have a Trailside reworked by Larry Carter, called his signature series bullseye gun http://www.larrysguns.com/, & his trigger work is great. I can only speak of this trigger, but it has the typical Hammerli long pretravel with the crisp, extremely repeatable break. This gun is my son's primary .22 bullseye gun & he loves it. Accuracy is very good, approx 5/8" group @ 50M factory test target. 11 months and 4 cases of ammo (20K) - no issues. The gun is dead reliable.

For the price range it seems you are looking into, maybe consider a Ruger? :P

jambie

Post by jambie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 am

Thanks Zed
You may be right. I may have a soft spot for discontinued guns :D
In any case, I do have a rugger markiii, gov model which I use for bullseye shooting.
I do have some issues with the rugger: failure to fire mainly but I think the gun is also too heavy. I am a big fellow and do go to the gym. Holding it steady is not a big problem but I think I could hold steadier with a lighter gun.
Maybe the Trailside is something I may get in a few months.

Thanks again.

jambie

Post by jambie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:48 am

Oops. Just noticed that this thread in in the center fire forum.
Bullseye, maybe you could move it to the rimfired forum.

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:23 am

Moved per request.

R,
Bullseye