Walmart Federal 550 and Buck Mark Problems

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

skypros

Walmart Federal 550 and Buck Mark Problems

Post by skypros » Fri May 07, 2010 8:28 pm

I just picked up (2) boxes of walmarts .22LR value Pack 550 Rounds (LOT #1FX503)

I have not had ANY problems with my Browning Buck Mark... Until I tried to fire these Federals..... The very 1st round Failed to Load... FTF, FTE and so on.... out of 40 rounds... only 10 fired correctly...

I have fired (all Federals copper plated HP) America Eagle, Champion Value Pack and the CCI mini-mags.... All worked fine in my pistol.

I have read through many posts in various gun forums and read that with few exception the walmart's value packs work great in the Buck Marks.

One thing I noticed is all the other rounds all are more "round" at the tips..... The walmart's are more cone shaped.... and I can see that maybe the problem with the loading.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FEDERAL 550 VALUE PACK ROUNDS???

Thanks,
Steve
is the sky the limit?
Browning Buck Mark Standard URX handgun
Ruger 10/22 Carbine Hardwood Stock rifle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 07, 2010 8:54 pm

I've had good luck with the Fed bulk 550's when I shoot them for practice.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:56 pm

No problem here with my MKIII.

I do know lots to lots vary with all mfg.

Contact Federal they may be able to help you. If you have another gun see if they work in it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 pm

The 550 Wally World pack and the Champion value packs both work great in all my guns. The Rugers eat most anything, but the Bobcats are real finicky, especially with no extractor.

For info, I emailed Federal last year, and they confirmed that the 550 Federal pack at Wal-Mart is the same load as the 525 packs sold everywhere else.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sat May 08, 2010 8:46 am

In my Ruger MKII the Federal 550 Bulk works great..
It could be that the Buck Mark doesn't like the hollow point profile..

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 08, 2010 6:11 pm

No problem with the Fed 36gr hp's in my Buck Mark or Challenger. This may be the "best" .22 ammo for all round feed/fire in all of my .22's. I may get better consistency on target with other ammo, but the Fed Value pack can generally be counted on to load and fire.

skypros

UPDATE response from Federal

Post by skypros » Sun May 09, 2010 9:47 pm

5.11.10 UPDATE #2
I emailed Federal about my problem..... the very next day Federal responded saying that they would take care of the problem 100%.... I thanked them and told them that my gun is functioning as it should with the "550 value pack"..... THANK YOU FEDERAL PREMIUM for taking care of your customer.

UPDATE:
Took the Buck Mark out again today...
I Have 3 Magazines... 1st & 2nd Magazines... I loaded with the "federal champion value pack" as usual... No Problem.... The 3rd magazine I loaded with the "550 value pack" It went through my pistol with NO PROBLEMS.... I then loaded all the Mags with 550 value pack ammo... and shot about 120 rounds... NO PROBLEMS

The same day I purchased the walmart 550 value packs... I also purchase 2 new OEM buck mark magazines..... MAYBE the mags were the cause... I did not oil them when they were out of the box new.... BUT the other ammo went through the un-oiled Mags just fine.... anyways the mags were cleaned and oiled before todays rounds.
Last edited by skypros on Tue May 11, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is the sky the limit?
Browning Buck Mark Standard URX handgun
Ruger 10/22 Carbine Hardwood Stock rifle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 09, 2010 11:59 pm

That ammo should work fine for you, sounds like you just needed some break in on the new mags.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon May 10, 2010 8:32 am

sounds like a magazine issue or a bad box of ammo.

Good to hear you're back up and running.

This thread (and some others) have reminded me that an accounting of duds is in order again … I just stick a marker in the box and mark the lid for ammo-caused malfunctions … last time it was under 10 (6?) for fed550 and ~12 for win555 … all in all not bad for discount rimfire.

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Mon May 17, 2010 5:23 am

The Wal-Mart Federal 550 pack is my mainstay with my MKIII. I shoot a box per week. I had a few hangups originally, but after going to the Volquartsen extractor I haven't had one since.

The Remington 333 shoots as well, cost exactly the same price, and it the preferred 'cheap' round in a Beretta 21A in the family. (Blow back gun w/o extractor) try that.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

greener

Post by greener » Mon May 17, 2010 7:14 am

bigfatdave wrote:sounds like a magazine issue or a bad box of ammo.

This thread (and some others) have reminded me that an accounting of duds is in order again … I just stick a marker in the box and mark the lid for ammo-caused malfunctions … last time it was under 10 (6?) for fed550 and ~12 for win555 … all in all not bad for discount rimfire.
Are you going to be in for a shock. The current price at Walmart for the Fed Value Packs are just short of $20.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 17, 2010 8:47 am

greener wrote:
Are you going to be in for a shock. The current price at WalMart for the Fed Value Packs are just short of $20.
Yes, I believe that but am not surprised. Probably met the end of their contract with Federal and had to make a new one. At that price I can buy CCI Blazer from my local dealer/gunsmith/friend, not have to walk over 50 feet instead of across ab big parking lot and a large store. Also, allows me to to buy a more accurate ammo from people who really appreciate my business and know me, not just another strange face. Got a few guns that shoot the CCI Blazer very well and rarely get a bad one.
I am a firm believer of supporting my local business and not a bunch of strangers.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 am

The Walmart near me is still 15.47 for the Fed 550 Bulk. The Winchester bulk was even cheaper $13.97 for the 525.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm

greener wrote:

Are you going to be in for a shock. The current price at Walmart for the Fed Value Packs are just short of $20.
$18 and change at mine, I was talking about the number of dud rounds in the numbers above.

greener

Post by greener » Mon May 17, 2010 8:42 pm

bigfatdave wrote:
greener wrote:

$18 and change at mine, I was talking about the number of dud rounds in the numbers above.
Sorry, misread it.

6 rounds per box for the fed is about right.