Walmart Federal 550 and Buck Mark Problems

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Got one box left and after that I seriously doubt if I will ever buy any more. CCI Blazer is just slightly more costly and much more reliable and in most of my guns is quite acccurate.ImageImageImage1st target Ruger 10/22T, 2nd target, Ruger 10/22DSP and last target Savage MarkIIGL
Last edited by bearandoldman on Mon May 17, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ronn

Re: Walmart Federal 550 and Buck Mark Problems

Post by ronn » Mon May 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Had problems with Winchester and Remington bulk packs, but none with Federal - other than a few misfires per box. My preference for bulk practice bullets.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue May 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I have had good luck with Fed bulk. I doubt that I have even had 2 FTF per box. I just don't really remember any. I did have my first FTF from a box of Fed Automatch. Now that was a real surprise and why it amazed me. i have probably shot 10 boxes of Fed AM in the past year. Maybe that isn't very much compared to most people.
Oldman, I finally broke down and bought 2 boxes of Remington Eley Match Target at BP this weekend. Nearly 9.00 a box. I have never spent that much on a box of .22, but i got to see if it really shoots 2x as good at 3X the price./ :? :) TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Tigerbeetle wrote:I have had good luck with Fed bulk. I doubt that I have even had 2 FTF per box. I just don't really remember any. I did have my first FTF from a box of Fed Automatch. Now that was a real surprise and why it amazed me. i have probably shot 10 boxes of Fed AM in the past year. Maybe that isn't very much compared to most people.
Oldman, I finally broke down and bought 2 boxes of Remington Eley Match Target at BP this weekend. Nearly 9.00 a box. I have never spent that much on a box of .22, but i got to see if it really shoots 2x as good at 3X the price./ :? :) TB
It may. The SK Std + or the Wolf NT, same stuff but different box from Champion Shooters is about 50 bucks a brick to you door.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

photoracer18

Post by photoracer18 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 am

I once had some issues with HP rounds on my Buckmark when it had the TS 7.25" alloy barrel on it. I took a small stone on my Dremel tool and massaged the barrel liner at the feed ramp to round it off and keep the HP ammo from sometimes sticking on the chamber end and giving a FTF.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:27 am

The Rem Eley was not all that much better than Auto Match. In fact the Win SS HPs shot better in my weapons than the Eley. And for what and why I shoot, AM is all I need. BTW, Fed 510b Lightnings shoot just as good for me with a shift in the POI of about a 1/4 inch.

In all the rest of my .22s for just having I shoot Fed Bulk or Win Bulk. Both do well in my Henry, and my Browning SA doesn't care either. Fun time had with all. Tigerbeetle :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Tigerbeetle wrote:In all the rest of my .22s for just having I shoot Fed Bulk or Win Bulk. Both do well in my Henry, and my Browning SA doesn't care either. Fun time had with all. Tigerbeetle :D
I've found they work the best too.... my Mkii likes eley sport for accuracy but it is not much ahead of fed or win bulk. my smith 422 does shoot thunderbolts better but those shoot REALLY dirty

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:51 pm

My MKII & 10/22 Love the Federal 550 Wal-Mart Value Pack ammo..

Note 6000 Rounds of Federal 22lr Ammo

greener

Post by greener » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 pm

I've been buying Fed Value Packs when ever I'm in WalMart. They shoot reasonably well. My pistols generally seem to do a bit better with 40gr SV's. When I can pick up 40gr SV's I do. Currently working off a case at a better price than the Val Packs.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 am

HEADKNOCKER wrote:My MKII & 10/22 Love the Federal 550 Wal-Mart Value Pack ammo..

Note 6000 Rounds of Federal 22lr Ammo
That is a good looking pistol!! Headknocker. I like those grips. What is the little gold extension on the end of the barrel? Is that OEM or something you added??
I have an older standard model. Need to update my pics and get one on here with some walnut grips I made for it. Not anything fancy, but I think not bad for an old guy and hand tools. BTW, got enough shells on hand? :shock: TB
Tigerbeetle

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 pm

got enough shells on hand?
That is nowhere near enough shells on hand unless we're looking at the top of a 5 gallon bucket filled to the brim.
That might be enough, or at least a start.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 am

Of my 20K+ rounds of .22, I've got 26 of the 550 round boxes (14300 rounds). I must like it enough. The rest is Champion RN, several types of CCI, and some WMR for the Single Six.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:43 pm

ruger22 wrote:Of my 20K+ rounds of .22, I've got 26 of the 550 round boxes (14300 rounds). I must like it enough. The rest is Champion RN, several types of CCI, and some WMR for the Single Six.
Almost enough :lol:

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:01 pm

I didn't read every post but, depending on which gun I shoot, would
dictate whether I liked the value pack. For my Mark lll it would be great,
without any significant failures. With my Sig mosquito or Beretta Bobcat,
it would cause a lot of cussing. They only shoot CCI ammo reliably, and 100% reliable!
Some 22's are so finicky, it's just a matter of experimenting.
Good luck,
hakaman

Bob & Wife

Re: Walmart Federal 550 and Buck Mark Problems

Post by Bob & Wife » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 am

skypros wrote:I just picked up (2) boxes of walmarts .22LR value Pack 550 Rounds (LOT #1FX503)

I have not had ANY problems with my Browning Buck Mark... Until I tried to fire these Federals..... The very 1st round Failed to Load... FTF, FTE and so on.... out of 40 rounds... only 10 fired correctly...

I have fired (all Federals copper plated HP) America Eagle, Champion Value Pack and the CCI mini-mags.... All worked fine in my pistol.

I have read through many posts in various gun forums and read that with few exception the walmart's value packs work great in the Buck Marks.

One thing I noticed is all the other rounds all are more "round" at the tips..... The walmart's are more cone shaped.... and I can see that maybe the problem with the loading.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FEDERAL 550 VALUE PACK ROUNDS???

Thanks,
Steve
ARE YOU USING A PLASTIC QUICK LOADER? i WAS WHEN THAT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. Clean them with solvent and DO NOT USE OIL IN THEM. most allgun oils are PENATRATING OILS keep them away from AMMO. Wipe the chamber out VERY GOOD and I even blow it out with an air hose. My FTF's just about went away. Good Luck!