Clark O/S Hammer Bushing Kit for Mk.II ?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mg66

Clark O/S Hammer Bushing Kit for Mk.II ?

Post by mg66 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:16 pm

First of all being a new member ... hello all.

A quick question for the informed on here.

Is the Clark Custom Oversized Hammer Pin & Hammer Bushing Kit for the Ruger Mk.II a drop in kit or is gunsmithing required ?

btw, I have a VQ accurizing kit installed also if that makes any difference.

Thanx.
mg66

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:24 pm

mg66,

Nothing major. You may have to sand the pin down a bit and the bushing may be a little tight in the hammer but neither will be off by much.
It depends on your pistol. Some have larger/smaller pin holes but, again, not enough to matter much. I've put 4 or 5 of the kits in and only had one of them not just drop in.
Post again if you have trouble installing the kit.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 pm

As Boomer said they mostly drop-in. They're tight, but they're supposed to be to realize the full benefit on the trigger pull. I press fit the bushing. It's just like tapping in a bearing race. I also may have to use a little silicon carbide lapping compound to hone the pins, but I use very little. For me, the tighter the better.

R,
Bullseye

mg66

Post by mg66 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:47 am

Put the kit in and as mentioned, the bushing was able to be tapped in using my 2 oz brass mallet. The pin fit well also and I just added a drop of CLP for good measure. It appears to have lessened some pretravel from trigger but I think I will have to think about a pre-travel screw mod on the trigger at some future time as there is about 1/16" I still want to get rid of.

Thanx for the info people.
mg66

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:39 pm

The Clark Pin and Bushing kit has taken up all the slack in the components that make up the trigger group. If each part as one or two thousandths play then that play is compounded for each part. It can be several thousandths by the time the whole trigger component group is assembled. Tapping in the bushing is the way to go. You still need a pretravel screw. There's too much travel in that set up for the Ruger trigger. The good news is most of it is within the scope of the pretravel screw to eliminate. You will still need about 1/16" of pretravel for the disconnector lever to reset the sear, but that is considerably better than the factory set up on the trigger.

R,
Bullseye