WWI Mauser .25

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

WWI Mauser .25

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 am

I got a chance to fire the old WWI Mauser yesterday. I had completely detail stripped it and inspected the gun, but there was some apprehension in the act anyway.

I'm not sure where that came from, maybe just shooting a gun that was not fired in the 50 years that my Father owned it and the 30 since he passed.

It's very sweet to operate. Nice to hold, smooth action, ergonomic placed thumb safety and a very nice choice for a carry. :D
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 am

it came from nostalgia C :D I get that same giddy apprehension when I go through the process of stringing up my Dad's 1939 Ben Pearson to launch it's annual dozen feathered shafts down range. I totally understand where you are at.

Happy Nostalgia! :wink:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:28 pm

I hear you. I have a Arisaka Type 99 that I have not shot for basically the same reason.

R,
Bullseye

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am

Bullseye wrote:I hear you. I have a Arisaka Type 99 that I have not shot for basically the same reason.

R,
Bullseye
Me too! (but I shoot mine :wink: ) "Sporterized" it a dozen or two years ago(read that as hacked it to death) and it's easy to shoot as well as accurate - you're missing out BE!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 am

Perhaps, I may get around to shooting it someday. It's just not high on my priority list at this time. This particular model rifle is known for its extremely strong receiver. I know the complete history of this weapon, and it has not been shot since the war's end. The previous owner, a relative of mine, brought it back as a trophy when he was briefly in Japan as part of the original occupational force at the end of the war. It is a nice original style military rifle, with the fold-out aircraft sights, but the mum was ground off the receiver. He lost the firing pin and bolt cap many years ago when he disabled the rifle to satisfy his non gun-friendly wife. She had deep concerns about keeping a firearm in the house with small children, even one with no ammunition. I was able to acquire the missing parts many years ago from an Arisaka rifle collector who was grateful for some work I did for him.

R,
Bullseye

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 am

That is fairly close to the story I have - without the missing parts. When I decided to tear into it and make it 'better' T99's were going for about $40($100 top dollar w/mum and matching everything). It's on the long side especially with the bayo attached but a fine military shooter. There is quite a following with them I guess. PO Ackley did a lot of destruction testing on a lot of actions back in the day... The Arisaka was one he didn't break.
...hey I'm involved in my first thread highjack here :oops:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm

MtStream wrote: ...hey I'm involved in my first thread highjack here :oops:
Ehh... make that co-involved.

R,
Bullseye

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:27 pm

MtStream wrote:That is fairly close to the story I have - without the missing parts. When I decided to tear into it and make it 'better' T99's were going for about $40($100 top dollar w/mum and matching everything). It's on the long side especially with the bayo attached but a fine military shooter. There is quite a following with them I guess. PO Ackley did a lot of destruction testing on a lot of actions back in the day... The Arisaka was one he didn't break.
...hey I'm involved in my first thread highjack here :oops:
Highjack away, I was done typing and still reading.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.