Mark III locked up

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

perazzi

Mark III locked up

Post by perazzi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Sigh.. I did it too... too big a hurry to clean it. can't release the mainspring. popped the frame pin which allowed the bolt to release, but, please....

HELP!!!

:oops:

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:08 am

Welcome to the forum.

Take a look at the troubleshooting page http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

For an intact pistol, insert an empty mag, point the muzzle down and pull the trigger. If the hammer is cocked, this will decock it. Remove mag, then remove mainspring. I suspect you have the hammer strut behind the frame pin. You man need to insert a mag, pull the trigger, point the muzzle down and strike a hard, padded object (carpeted floor) with the muzzle to move the hammer forward. This may take several very sharp raps.

popped the frame pin which allowed the bolt to release,
I'm not sure what pin you popped. A better description would be helpful.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:41 am

Wow what a coincdence, I just helped someone else with a stuck mainspring housing yesterday too. He had a 22/45 framed MKIII Hunter. What kind of frame does your Mark III have?

Greener posted the procedure that will move the hammer forward. Two points: one you have to bang the muzzle pretty hard on the block of wood while continuing to hold the trigger rearward; two you should open up the latch on the mainspring housing so it isn't pinching the hammer strut and preventing the hammer from traveling forward.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:33 pm

I just fixed a friends mkII 22/45 that had locked up....unfortunately her brother tried to muscle the slide off and broke the hammer pin and hammer bushing, took about 10 min to put back together after she got a new bushing and pin, sounds like you got something similar going on there, take it easy and don't do the "get a bigger hammer" technique....usually it is something simple like greener posted that is your solution.

If you can get the mainspring off look up into the frame and try to see what you got going on in there a small punch (screw driver, allen wrench, cleaning rod, etc) might be able to move your hammer and parts around enough to free up the action and get your pistol apart. just use the service page to put things back together

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:47 pm

*whew* got it out.. the hammer strut had popped out, and a large screw in the mainspring housing had backed out, binding up the housing. some judicious 'prying' it popped out. I filed the offending metal away and it assembles fine.

I took the opportunity to strip/assemble the seer/hammer assy 8 or 9 times till I figured it out. Once you figure where the doodads and thingamajigs go, it's right easy!!...

meantime, I broke the rear sight blade, sooooo... waiting for lh grips, a sear, and now a new sight blade (maybe that fancy TL2000??..

Speaking of sears, we have a great seer right here...

Thanks Bullseye!!

:P

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Glad to hear you got it working. I didn't think to mention about ensuring the mainspring lock screw is turned all the way into the housing; I'll remember to remind folks about that next time.

How did you break a rear sight blade? That's got to be a good story if you care to share it.

Enjoy your pistol!

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Bullseye wrote:Glad to hear you got it working. I didn't think to mention about ensuring the mainspring lock screw is turned all the way into the housing; I'll remember to remind folks about that next time.

How did you break a rear sight blade? That's got to be a good story if you care to share it.

Enjoy your pistol!

R,
Bullseye
well, uh, sometimes you just don't hit what your swingin' at.... :oops:

Also, that mainspring lock screw is one of those :twisted: ones that requires the allen wrench with the hole drilled in the end......

update:!! http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detai ... sightblade

I never noticed it uses the funky key!!! Man, you have to read EVERYTHING on here... lol :wink:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Those Allen wrenches, with the holes, are the keys they provide with the pistols for the internal lock.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Bullseye wrote: How did you break a rear sight blade? That's got to be a good story if you care to share it.

Enjoy your pistol!

R,
Bullseye
I'd like to hear that too the one i fixed had a broken rear sight blade too
\

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:04 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Bullseye wrote: How did you break a rear sight blade? That's got to be a good story if you care to share it.

Enjoy your pistol!

R,
Bullseye
I'd like to hear that too the one i fixed had a broken rear sight blade too
\
It's always about the proper tool for the job!! :wink:

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I do like a man who knows the right tools. :lol:

mrfcobf

Post by mrfcobf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:19 pm

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 pm

At least he used a non maring hammer....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:54 am

:shock: That would do it