First Night Out

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

First Night Out

Post by bebloomster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:39 am

Well I did it... retired my Ruger Mark lll "Target" and adopted a S&W Model 41. Actually the Ruger has gone to a new home as I didn't figure that I would be shooting it much any more and the extra money would come in handy.

Picked it up this morning, mounted my beloved UltraDot MatchDot sight and changed from the factory grips to a set of Morini's.

I'm a little unsure of the grips though. Found them on eBay, I believe them to be a size "Large" and I would probably be better off with a set of "X-Large". The slide just barely misses my hand so will take the factory grips with me for the first outing just in case I get "slide cut".

Tonite is the weekly Indoor Rimfire Pistol Bullseye League. I've always used the Ruger Mark lll with Federal 510's and currently average 789/900 (263/300). Really looking forward to trying the 41 tonite... will be using CCI SV ammo.

To be continued.......

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:41 am

Well, atleast I didn't embarrass myself tonight. I had planned on going out to the range an hour or so early to get the red dot sighted in... just too cold and windy to do anything halfway serious outside though. Fortunately they always have a 20 to 30 minute "practice" session before the match. Gave me enough time to get it pretty much centered on the paper.

My fear of being "slide cut" was unfounded... didn't get a single scratch so guess I will be leaving those grips in place.

Fired an 822/900 (274/300) tonight... I think that I am REALLY going to like this Model 41. As usual my downfall was the Slow Fire stages. 81, 85 and 86. All of the Rapid and Timed stages were in the 90's.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

nice

Post by Pete D. » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:38 am

Embarrassed? Well....maybe if you are a Master Class shooter. That 822 is an Expert score and very nice with a new gun.
No malfunctions?
Those SF scores will come to you with the 41. It has a better trigger than the Ruger, don't you think, and that will help in the precision stage.
Pete

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 am

Great job! Your scores will continue to improve as you get more accustomed to the feel of the new grips and trigger. The Model 41 is a great gun to shoot for bullseye competition.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:19 am

Embarrassed, I would think not. That is a very good score for being the first time out. And it will only get better. Nice gun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes, it is quite an improvement over the Ruger. I doubt that I will ever regret the trade off. Now just have to work on the Slow Fire stages. It is also a really good thing that the indoor match is every week rather than just once a month. Usually no more than 10 of us shooting and nobody getting really serious about it.

woody57

Post by woody57 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Nice pistol. I have been thinking of making the same switch. I will be interested to see how it goes with you.
Woody

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Last night was the second outing. Decided that I wanted to try Federal 510's since I had 8 unopened bricks plus 3 or 4 50rd boxes. I'd installed one of the Buffer Technologies buffers so wasn't particularly worried about the higher velocity ammo causing any appreciable damage.

Fired the normal 900 match and was at best totally underwhelmed !!! Last week using the 100rd plastic box CCI SV I fired a 822/900 (NMC 274/300). Last night with the Federal 510's it was 789/900 (NMC 263/300).

As soon as I got home I listed those 8 unopened bricks on one of the local gun boards.... had sold it by this morning for what I had into it.

Next time out I will probably try the 50rd paper boxes of CCI SV and see how they fare compared to the 100rd plastic boxes.