Is .22 a new trend?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Many years ago, maybe 20 or so had a .44 Magnum but it was not Short barrel carry gun but more of a Dirty Harry gun but single action. Ruger Super Blackhawk, maybe 7 in or so barrel, was a good shooter. Very controllable with .44 Special ammo but a handful with the real mag stuff. Did not own it too long, but had to have it any way, just did not enjoy it so it went to another home, where it could be happier than in a safe.
SA Micro Compact or the V-10 both make good carry guns, the Micro is 2 pounds loaded and the other is 2-1/2. Both fir well in the hip pocket holster but the lighter one is more comfortable to carry and the heavier one is more comfortable to shoo, although both shoot well at S/D distances and are accurate within 2 minutes of felon or less with 230 grain JHP's.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

raw6464

Post by raw6464 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:38 pm

greener wrote: The which caliber threads never have a resolution. They usually have a few good ideas.
I don't think the issue is which caliber... it's whether a 22 is capable of doing the job as a SD weapon. What is missed and more important in the equation is what caliber does the opposition have? If I have a 22 and my opposition has a 44 mag I'm in deep poop!

I also don't think there is a "resolution", there are lots of calibers capable of fitting the bill... so "resolution" comes down to a personal preference. And in the personal preference, caliber is only one of the requirements for any specific situation... there is no one gun fits all. Many states by law demand you conceal the weapon and that in itself makes the weapon selection situation dependent.

If ALL I had was a 22 of course that's what I'd have to use... but in no way would be my first, second or third choice. My objective in pulling out and firing a weapon at an assailant is to kill him with one shot and call 911... for that bigger is always better. A 22 is for defending attacks from squirrels.

rammed

Greener

Post by rammed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:09 pm

If I were really, really concerned my SD gun would be a short barreled .44 mag loaded, literally, for bear.
Wouldn't Old Man get mad if you shot Bear[/quote] :roll:

bearandoldman

Re: Greener

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:48 pm

rammed wrote:
If I were really, really concerned my SD gun would be a short barreled .44 mag loaded, literally, for bear.
Wouldn't Old Man get mad if you shot Bear
:roll:[/quote]
Before he could pull the trigger he would have 6 JHP's in the boiler room.
The old man will protect Ma and Bear and he can take care of himself also.

greener

Re: Greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:10 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
rammed wrote:
Wouldn't Old Man get mad if you shot Bear
:roll:
Before he could pull the trigger he would have 6 JHP's in the boiler room.
The old man will protect Ma and Bear and he can take care of himself also.[/quote]

Notice the lower case. bear not Bear.
A 22 is for defending attacks from squirrels.
Prefer .45 colt, 200gr hp @ ~1100 fps for the attack squirrels in my back yard. They've been giving me the evil eye lately. You dare not turn your back on them. I've seen lookout squirrels 60' up the pine trees. I stand ready and prepared for attack squirrels. :lol:

I definitely wouldn't consider my P22 as an SD weapon. It has too many feed problems. The Bobcat might be a better, small choice.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:41 pm

They got some damn tough squirrels in Virginia, might want to get a full auo with at least a 25 round magazine, or my preferred weapon, just about any size shotgun.My attack dog just watches tehm run across his porch and back yard, he is squirrel tolerant.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Little rougher here than in Michigan

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:59 am

greener wrote:Image

Little rougher here than in Michigan
Looks like they are well organized down there, even have uniforms. Looks to be a .022SAW (squirrel automatic weapon) Bear told me that if the ones up here start getting organized he wants body armor and a Hummer.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:26 am

Ruger22 may be right and .22's may not be the "new" SD choice. Over 55,000 mini-revolvers, derringers, small semi-auto's were made in the US in 2007.

I don't think folks buy the Jiminez, Cobra, Jennings or North American Arms rimfires for target shooting.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:00 pm

greener wrote:Ruger22 may be right and .22's may not be the "new" SD choice. Over 55,000 mini-revolvers, derringers, small semi-auto's were made in the US in 2007.

I don't think folks buy the Jiminez, Cobra, Jennings or North American Arms rimfires for target shooting.
A lot of people must be saving their money for their old age, me I am already there so I am using mine. A lot of people buy these toy guns so they can tell people they have a gun and are an expert shot and a well placed shot will stop any BG. Hope they remember that when they empty the gun into him as he charges them and pounds them into the ground like an old tent peg, Well placed shots under a stressful fast moving conditions would be difficult and even well place shot into an adrenalin filled bad guy will most likely not stop him in his tracks, but a few 230 grain JHP's most likely will. He may bleed to death shortly after he does you great bodily harm. This is my opinion and I believe in it, others opinions most likely will vary. This is a free country carry what ever makes you feel good and hope it will get the job done. You can't just pop the BG from 25 yards for so as at that distance he is not a threat to you life.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm

well placed 22 might do the job. but in a stressful encounter a not so well placed centerfire is better. a lot of folks who carry and are good to very good shots a lot of times are good TARGET shooters.
TARGET shooters load up their pistol take time getting the perfect grip get the perfect sight picture make a perfect straight press to the rear of the trigger. and repeat taking several seconds per shot. which is great marksmanship practice.
If you start adding complications to a target shooter and get them out of their comfort zone, like drawing from a holster, moving to cover, or under time constraints they can get flustered and blow the shot. because they have not practiced it.
For example my pappy (Greener, sorry dad) was up and we were out shooting he is a VERY good shot. He was on target that day having a VERY good day. I gave him a holster for his pt1911b and had him draw, off safety, fire 2 at 7-10yards. he got out of his comfort zone and fumbled through. he agreed that from the draw added comlications and frustrated him adn he ended up throwing shots wide. I do believe he has since dry-fire practiced and has gotten way better.

If you are goingto carry you must practice from your carry rig or you will not make that perfect shot with your 45 or 22lr. imho

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Well said little Greener, I normally practice point and shhoot with my short barrel 1911's from a low ready and 2 quick shots.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:22 pm

I think I made up for my lack of accuracy by being slow. :lol:

Good lesson. That afternoon.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:45 am

I agree with Greener, the younger, on his point but I'd like to add onto it by stating most target shooters tend to adapt easier to the rigors of combat shooting if they practice the techniques. It is true that folks tend to repeat what they practice under stressful situations, this explains why target shooters tend to over aim in situations like these. However, I have found that when presented with the proper techniques these same shooters tend to rapidly gain the skills necessary for tactical situations due to their internal confidence that they can perform successfully with their weapons. Confidence, situational awareness, and mental attitude can make all the difference for a successful outcome in a life threatening situation. But these shooters do have to practice the combat techniques on a semi-regular basis in order to keep these skills sharp.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:57 am

I'm too old to run or to fight hand to hand combat, so I practice my point and shoot double taps now and then both with the 1911 and the 22/45, as the grip angles are the same. Muscle memory amazingly puts them pretty much i the center of the body parts that sustain life. Hope like Hell, that I never have to use those skills but if it happens it happens. Been sooting a lot more rifle than pistol lately, us old guys do enjoy shooting from a more restful position.