Bullseye shooting

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bullseye shooting

Post by keithj » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:21 pm

Imagewell Ive gottin very interested in bullseye shooting. so Ive "built" a MKIII and did all the VQ stuff as well as polished up the internals for smooth operation.And after readind the Army pistol marksmenship guide and learning the fundimentals of stance , grip and trigger control . I went to the range to try them out and It all just kinda came together .As long as I touch off the shot within 5 sec.'s I can hold fairly well. granted this target was only shot at 21 ft I say Ive got some potential . I fire 6 -10 shot groupings and 2 of them looked like this and the other 4 very very similar but had 1-2 flyers the I new where bad as soon as I touched it off and with useing the shot placement chart most of my problems come from to little trigger finger and/or tightening my grip while squeezing the trigger. Althought I'm not actively competeing yet I belive Ive found a hobby that I can sink my teeth into.....Its very hard to shoot well one handed but I like it..........................Keith

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:23 am

Not bad, Most are going in about the same place. Try gripping without the pinkie on the grip. Also, with that consistency part of the low may be sight picture/sigh adjustment.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 am

Another, cause can be peeking over the sights to look downrange at the target before ignition. Your mind and hand will move the sights (subconsciously) out of the way so you can see the target better.

Also, do I detect some larger caliber holes in that 6 o'clock position?

R,
Bullseye

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:06 am

well first greener , the grouping is low because the gun isn't sighted at the distance at which I shot the target. and bullseye nope its all .22rds 10 of them ,those spots that aapear in the black that are whitest are some hiccups from the printer , but greener buy looking at the other 4 targets that I shot that day your probaly correct on the comment about my grip . I think I tend to tighten my grip as Im sqeezin the trigger but Im new to this bullseye game so for a beginner I think that target looks pretty good
Keith

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm

That's interesting because there's no size perspective so the printer spots look like .22 holes and the actual holes look more like .45's. It must be a really reduced size target to have those rimfire holes look so big. I know you shot it at 7 yards.

R,
Bullseye

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Yes bullseye your correct. the target is reduced I believe it is a B-2 target reduce for 21ft. I get them off of the internet . I was just curiuos as to what you guys would think of the grouping being a beginner and all . I know 21 ft is awful close but the range that I sometimes go to has no lanes per say and everyone has to shoot from the same distance and the people where there before me so I had no choice but to shoot close ... but I thought it would be good to work on the fundimental of bullseye shooting so I went ahead and stayed and shot.

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 am

Imagehere ya go bullseye now hows that for a size gauge

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:53 am

Much better, that penny adds scale it the image. I believe the grouping is very acceptable for a relatively new one handed shooter. Keep practicing and you'll find that one handed shooting will become much more familiar to you. You will eventually get to a point where it will feel very comfortable, to the point where two handed shooting will seem unusual. Keep practicing at 7 yards for a while. Then move back to fifty feet and work at that distance. You don't have to adjust your sights, just keep using the black ball as an aiming point. You can use what we call a floating bullseye to interpret your scores. The when you get back to a distance where your pistol is sighted you can evaluate more critically on the regular target face.

Keep on practicing. I see some promise in your bullseye shooting potential.

R,
Bullseye