S&W Mod. 422

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

S&W Mod. 422

Post by teejay » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Been looking at the mod. 422. The mod 41 is out of my price range, but I kind of like the looks of the 422. I've read where they are hard to field strip. Any other concerns? Suggestions? I'm looking at the 4 1/2 inch barrel. Opinions, please. TJ

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:18 am

Like most S&W .22 Autos the 422 can be finicky about ammo. Lots of folks complain about the stripping process but its not that bad. I didn't think much of these pistols when they first came out in the mid-1980's, kind of a low budget shooter, but a lot of folks like them. Here's a link to a .pdf version of the owners manual http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_rimfire_pistols.pdf

R,
Bullseye

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks Bullseye, it'll come in handy if I get my mitts on one. I want the 4 1/2" with the wood grips. Thanks. P.S. also like your Ruger MK comparison chart. Does the Ruger Mk II allow you to load the chamber with the safety on? I have a MKIII 5 1/2 target full bull barrel and it does, but not the old "53. Thanks Tom

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 pm

My son recently got a 422 and he likes feel and was pleased with the accuracy. I recently had the opportunity to put a few rounds through one. I wonder why S&W stopped making these. Nice pistol. Will buy one if I come across one at the right price.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm

The Mark II and Mark III work the same as far as loading with the thumb safety on. Only the Mark I's don't because the thumb safety doubles as a manual bolt hold open latch.

R,
Bullseye

sheepman

Post by sheepman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:27 am

The wife has one with 6" barrel and likes it because it is light weight and she can work the side (has weak hand strength). The gun is too light for me and I prefer my MK II but the S&W shoots OK and feeds about any ammo. Have fun and shoot safe : Bill

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am

welcome to the forum, sheepman.

In my house, the better firearms are the ones that SWMBO likes and I say, yes ma'am. :D

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 am

I got to spend some range time with my son's 422 yesterday. He bought it used and it looks like a new gun. Nice, accurate little shooter. If I came across one at the right price I'd be very tempted to buy one.

We fired Federal Bulk, Fed automatch, Fed 510 and CCI SV. You could tell a difference with the Automatch and CCI, but not much at the 12-15 yards we were shooting. I agree with Bullseye on weight. Hardly feels like you are holding anything. Nice for carrying all day on long walks in the woods or long shooting periods, but I think I'd like a bit more weight if I were going to use it as a serious target gun. Trigger is excellent. Seems to be pretty well made. The disassembly is strange, but fairly easy.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:30 am

Actually these are great pistols, and a favorite of shooters who like the light weight. I believe that Smith had the high end of the market covered with the 41 and one look at these 422(422,622,2006,2213,2214) series tells you that they were expensive to produce. Smith needed a "plastic" pistol to compete at that price point and they replaced this pistol with one. They are a breeze to field strip after the first time, you need only a fired 22RF case to release the tension. They are harder to find partly because they can be made into a suppressor host for $30 by replacing the stock barrel nut. They also use 41 mags which are in the $22 price range. This is my 2214 which is the compact version. It is a keeper!
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:38 pm

greener wrote:My son recently got a 422 and he likes feel and was pleased with the accuracy. I recently had the opportunity to put a few rounds through one. I wonder why S&W stopped making these. Nice pistol. Will buy one if I come across one at the right price.
You will probably buy one even if the price is not really right , but partially right ain't bad either.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:My son recently got a 422 and he likes feel and was pleased with the accuracy. I recently had the opportunity to put a few rounds through one. I wonder why S&W stopped making these. Nice pistol. Will buy one if I come across one at the right price.
You will probably buy one even if the price is not really right , but partially right ain't bad either.
Combination of mood and price, so the price is always right when the mood strikes me. :lol:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:07 pm

My 422 shoots rather well (<2" ot 10yards with anything i've tried so far) although i've only taken it to the range a couple of times, and ammo selection has been a little scarce lately. but the trigger is excellecnt and the gun fits my hand very well. I am trying to figure out if I like it's light weight. I think I do it feels like you are pointing your finger at the target and not a heavy piece of Iron (which is fun too) :D

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Since I've read such nice things about the 422, I really want one! What price range for a decent sample? TJ

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:25 am

teejay wrote:Since I've read such nice things about the 422, I really want one! What price range for a decent sample? TJ
I picked up mine for $300 and it was LN NO BOX. I thought that was a good price for a gun you don't see everyday at the gunshop....

31 Ford

Post by 31 Ford » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:19 pm

My first pistol was a 422-6"barrel. Still got it. Still love it! S&W no longer supports this product line. You could run into quite a problem if you require a firing pin etc. I was fortunate enough to get everything but the frame from a guy who could not register a 422. He was forced to have it destroyed. (Long story/Canadian law, blah blah). Now I've got a lifetime of spare parts. :P