Thanks for the help!

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Waffen

Thanks for the help!

Post by Waffen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Bullseye,

I wanted to thank you for your help on the MKII.org fourms. I locked up two of my MKIII's while dissasembling them a while back due to the early MKIII instruction manuals leaving out steps apparently. I had to take them to the gun smith to be fully stripped and put back together. (that was humbling).

Anyway, with the help of your site I have finally learned how to stip these pistols, and fully maintain them.

On another note, I was expirencing ejection problems with one of my 22/45's. I tried all of the fixes with mag shaving, and trying different ammo, and grip styles. I finally decided to strip them again (without problem) and found that the ejector (rivited to receiver) was actually bent sideways to where the spent casing would miss it 75% of the time thus causing the stove pipe problem on near every shot. I was able to heat it with a blow torch and bend it back to match the one off of my working 22/45. The one on my working one did not appear to be bent to an angle but the ejector in my "FTE machine 22/45" was bent at a 80 degree angle. I have not shot it yet, however after cycling rounds through it by hand mutiple times it appears it's fixed. It no longer dumps rounds on my supporting hand, insted the rounds go 3-4 feet to the right!

Just thought I would share, and say thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:42 pm

That story is exactly the reason why I spent all that time helping people and setting up the instructional pages. I'm very pleased that you've gained considerable knowledge on your firearms and humbled that I may have had a little part in it. You're troubleshooting skills are demonstrating that you have a good understanding of the mechanics of your pistol and are now applying that knowledge at a much higher level. Very Good on you!

If you continue to have any problems with the OEM extractors let me suggest you upgrade to the VQ Exact Edge Extractor. They are hardend tool steel not just case hardened. I consider the best deals on the Web with this company, who has competitive prices and offers free shipping, here's a link. Rimfire Sports & Custom VQ extractors

Keep up the good work!

R,
Bullseye

Waffen

Post by Waffen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:06 pm

A little bit of an update:

The problem wasn't with the extractor it was with the ejector actually being bent at such an angle that the bolt would still freely recoil, yet it would miss ejecting the case almost 75% of the time. I just heated it and bent it back into place.

I didn't get a chance to shoot it cause I got engaged today (fiance wouldn't like to go shooting on that day) , but a buddy of mine was heading to the range and took it for me, he said it worked 100% with winchester Dynapoints so I'm thrilled now.

I am contemplating doing the Volq. kit to both my 22/45's once I get it back. I am going to try to master how it's done. It scares the hell out of me, as the most complicated thing I have ever attempted was a CZ550 trigger and that was NO fun at all (it was no rem trigger). Hopefully I can manage to get it done without needing the aid of a gunsmith.

I'm sure you will see me posting about it on here. This has quickly turned into one of my most visited websites, as it's one of the only gun websties not blocked yet. I hope it says under the radar.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:53 pm

Waffen wrote:I just heated it and bent it back into place.
I got engaged today (fiance wouldn't like to go shooting on that day).
I am contemplating doing the Volq.
It scares the hell out of me.
Congratulations on the engagement... best wishes....
You better get her trained to the idea that Guns/Shooting are important, too. :roll:
I now what you mean about your First-time (I'm changing subject to guns).
The 'stickies' that BullsEye has provided should be very helpful as to the
disassembly/assembly to install the Sear/Trigger-stuff...
Do them one-at-a-time, so you have a reference to look at...
take a lot of care to align/orient the various pins/springs...
I've found it is best to ask 'How do I best do *******?',
rather than ... "I did this and it doesn't work... what did I do wrong?" :oops:
take care.

Waffen

Post by Waffen » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:42 am

Congratulations on the engagement... best wishes....
You better get her trained to the idea that Guns/Shooting are important, too.
You know you have a winner when you say "Now honey this 300 Ultra Mag might be a bit much for you" and she pushes you out of the way and shoots a .5 group 3shot group.

As for the 22/45 I hope it will be easier than I anticipate. I have a buddy with a MKII 22/45 who wants to do the same thing so we might do one gun at a time and we might be able to learn from our mistakes. I have also been browsing Bullseye's teardowns on this webstite. I must say they are much better than the ones on 1bad69's due to the picture/focus of the image. I can finally, clearly see the peices. It makes things much easier with the diagrams too.

I'll let you know when they get ordered!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Congratulations on your engagement.

Sorry I misread your posting about the ejector. It was clearly written "ejector" and not extractor; I don't know why I saw it that way originally. But you corrected the problem and everything seems to be running smoothly.

I'm not sure if you want to buy the whole VQ trigger upgrade kit. All you really need is a VQ target sear and perhaps an adjustable trigger. There are a lot of redundant parts in the kit that don't really contribute to smoothing up the trigger's pull. Either way be sure to use your original sear spring from your 22/45 and not the one that comes in the kit. The 22/45 sear spring is different and the one supplied in the kit is for the regular framed Mark II/IIIs.

As for triggers you could use a Marvel Adjustable Trigger with the pretravel and overtravel screws preinstalled. Or if your pistol is a Mark III 22/45, get one of the VQ Mark III target triggers from Rimfire Sports and Custom. The new VQ trigger also now has pretravel and overtravel screws installed, but the pretravel is externally adjustable and that makes set-up much easier. If your 22/45 is a Mark II version, VQ will soon have their new Mark III triggers backwards compatible modified to fit in the earlier model pistols. There is more information on the VQ trigger here at this thread - http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:47 am

I've found my digital camera to be very helpful as a memory aid when I "fix" things for the first time. Gives me an idea of what it really looked like before I have a tub of parts and my usual cluelessness. Additional pictures and all the on-line help makes it much easier, but has "She who must be obeyed" muttering about turning the computer desk into a workbench.