MK III Over-travel Screw?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jperodeau

MK III Over-travel Screw?

Post by jperodeau » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:09 am

Do all Ruger MK III’s have an over-travel screw? I have a stainless steel Hunter, and the manual does not show a screw in the parts diagram. I don’t mind pre-travel, but I’d like to get rid of the over-travel.

Eventually, I’ll probably install a VQ trigger and sear, but not until I’ve broken-in the pistol.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: MK III Over-travel Screw?

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:33 am

jperodeau wrote:Do all Ruger MK III’s have an over-travel screw? I have a stainless steel Hunter, and the manual does not show a screw in the parts diagram. I don’t mind pre-travel, but I’d like to get rid of the over-travel.

Eventually, I’ll probably install a VQ trigger and sear, but not until I’ve broken-in the pistol.
Welcome to our forum, and yes there is most likely a screw in the trigger for overtravel. I believe there have always had the screw ther although it is not adjusted. You will have to remove the trigger t see it and adjust it.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jperodeau

Post by jperodeau » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:41 pm

The overtravel set screw is in the front side of the trigger block, just above the trigger's pivot pin through hole. You have to look in from the top of the trigger with the receiver off to see it. To adjust it, you have to remove the trigger pivot pin and slide the trigger up and out of the frame a little.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:47 am

Here is a picture to help with the factory trigger's overtravel screw location.

This picture also shows how the factory trigger must be partially removed to gain access to the Allen screw for adjustment. This can be a multi-step process to adjust properly. The overtravel screw must be adjusted so the sear face clears the hammer body without rubbing or light hammer strikes may occur.

R,
Bullseye