CCI SV and Federal 510

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

CCI SV and Federal 510

Post by greener » Sat May 23, 2009 7:19 pm

Picked up some CCI SV and Federal 510 last weekend. Results in three pistols were a bit puzzling. All shooting at 15 yards.

MKII GC: Both were pretty much on target without sight adjustment. The CCI was a bear to feed. the bolt wouldn't fully close on numerous rounds . Several rounds stopped half way into the chamber and a few rounds wouldn't extract. The Federal chambered, fired an ejected every round.

Buck Mark Standard: All rounds on target when I was without sight adjustment. All rounds chambered, fired and ejected.

Walther P22: Both chambed, fired and ejected well. The CCI was consistently 3" low. The Federal was consitently 1.5" low. Fed value pack was on target.

I might need to clean the chamber on the GC. However the CCI feels softer and has a stickier lube. No problems firing the Federal before and after the CCI.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Haven't you previously used the CCI-SV in that GC pistol? I seem to recall a few years back you getting a couple of cases from Green Top. How did it work before?

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Those worked very well, both mechanically and accurately. Both had the 0035 code which doesn't show up on CCI's website. The packaging is different. If I recall correctly, the rounds looked more like the fed 510's. These do not.

Just field stripped the pistol and tried dropping the Federals and CCI's into the chamber. The Feds went in 8/10's length and took very slight push to seat. They came out easily with the barrel vertical and a lightly tapping the rear of the receiver on the workbench. The CCI's dropped all the way in and came out easily. Gave the chamber a good scrubbing with gunscrubber followed by Hoppes using a bore brush. Repeated the test with the same results.

When I was shooting, I had a number of CCI rounds that the bolt wouldn't fully close and I'd push the bolt with my thumb to seat it. Some rounds that went 2/3's into the chamber and a few rounds that didn't fire, didn't extract or extracted with some effort.

I'm not sure what I was seeing with these rounds.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 24, 2009 7:13 am

Hey Rob, maybe you have been cleaning them too much and they are just getting worn out. At my advanced age I shower less often so as not to cause wear and tear on my skin, it also gets me more space at the range for some reason.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 24, 2009 7:55 am

bearandoldman wrote:Hey Rob, maybe you have been cleaning them too much and they are just getting wotn out. At my advanced age I shower less often so as not tocause wear and tar on my skin, it also gets me more space at the range for some reason.
Must work. You've noticed that I've kept my distance, ~800 miles and the wind blows mostly to the east and not southeast. :lol:

I've seen the dirty chamber problem with my Buck Mark, mostly from shooting Win Xpert22. I've never had that problem with the Rugers, but decided to check it out. I don't think that was the problem with the GC, but since I had it apart, I decided to clean the chamber. It didn't look like the pistol needed cleaning.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 24, 2009 8:04 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Hey Rob, maybe you have been cleaning them too much and they are just getting worn out. At my advanced age I shower less often so as not to cause wear and tear on my skin, it also gets me more space at the range for some reason.
Must work. You've noticed that I've kept my distance, ~800 miles and the wind blows mostly to the east and not southeast. :lol:

I've seen the dirty chamber problem with my Buck Mark, mostly from shooting Win Xpert22. I've never had that problem with the Rugers, but decided to check it out. I don't think that was the problem with the GC, but since I had it apart, I decided to clean the chamber. It didn't look like the pistol needed cleaning.
The only problem I have had with my 22/45's is when the crud builds up in the receiver above the chamber and keeps the bolt from closing fully. Usually a little solvent and a pick and you are ready to go, do use a bent .25 cal brush to clean the chamber once in a while. Have not been shooting too much pistol lately, what with playing with Henry and now his girlfriend Remona, a Remington 572. Us old guys need to rest and we shoot the rifles while seated.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun May 24, 2009 10:53 am

I'll be very interested in how this gets resolved greener. Everything I've got(41s,BMs,10/22,Challenger, loves CCI SV, and I use it to trouble shoot when I have problems with other ammo to remove ammo from the equation. I have been next to shooter's who were having semi auto pistol FTFs and gave them a 10 round mag of CCI SV to try. I've never had it disappoint yet in that role. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 24, 2009 10:58 am

KAZ wrote:I'll be very interested in how this gets resolved greener. Everything I've got(41s,BMs,10/22,Challenger, loves CCI SV, and I use it to trouble shoot when I have problems with other ammo to remove ammo from the equation. I have been next to shooter's who were having semi auto pistol FTFs and gave them a 10 round mag of CCI SV to try. I've never had it disappoint yet in that role. Regards
Right KAZ, CCI SV is usually a know good standard to judge other ammo from as a reference point.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 24, 2009 11:16 am

Your problem is especially puzzling with this quote:
Just field stripped the pistol and tried dropping the Federals and CCI's into the chamber. The Feds went in 8/10's length and took very slight push to seat. They came out easily with the barrel vertical and a lightly tapping the rear of the receiver on the workbench. The CCI's dropped all the way in and came out easily. Gave the chamber a good scrubbing with gunscrubber followed by Hoppes using a bore brush. Repeated the test with the same results.
Having the CCI free drop in and out of the chamber easily by hand means they should do the same mechanically.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 24, 2009 11:22 am

Bullseye wrote:Your problem is especially puzzling with this quote:
Having the CCI free drop in and out of the chamber easily by hand means they should do the same mechanically.

R,
Bullseye
At least you would think so. Have not shot any CCI SV in some time now, been shooting the Fiocchi #22CRN, Eley Sport and Centurion in my rifles as it is as consistant in firing and accuracy as the SV and a little less costly.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am

I am beginning to wonder if when the rounds are loading are they getting 'dinged' in the process and deforming slightly. That would cause them to seat poorly and not detonate from failure to pinch the rim when the FP hits the case. It would also cause extraction difficulty as the misshapen lead would create extra friction.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2009 8:52 pm

I misrembered to take the GC out today but I fired about 50 each of the CCI through the MKII 22/45 and MKIII Hunter. Nary a problem. Didn't have any problems with the 15 or so that went through the "new" MKI. Sounds like it is specific to the GC.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 am

What year was your GC made? There was a group of them that had tighter than ordinary chambers.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 31, 2009 7:53 am

The GC was made in 1999.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 7:56 am

That might be in the window, I'll have to do some checking. If it is, that pistol would be on the back side of the group. How does your extractor groove look? Any burrs there that may be migrating into the chamber?

R,
Bullseye