CCI SV and Federal 510

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 31, 2009 8:22 am

All that looks clean. I don't see anything around the chamber or the extractor that would indicate a restriction. I bought this one used and it didn't look like it had been fired or handled much.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 8:52 am

Next time you go to the range try hand cycling some rounds through the pistol and see if there's any dents or bullet nose malformations that could restrict seating. It could be that the noses are being damaged upon insertion and that is causing the seating issues. How does the ejected brass look? Any scratch lines showing on the brass indicating burrs?

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 31, 2009 7:27 pm

First round from the mag didn't go in. Didn't see anything on the brass, but the rounds that didn't seat looked like this.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm a new comer when it comes to the Ruger's. But from all I have read on this site and others, have you made the Magazine mode. This rounds off some sharp edges and allows the bullet to come out of the magazine sooner.

Just a long shoot, a different pair of eyes never hurt.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Those don't look too bad. There is going to be a little rubbing as the rounds seat into the chamber. I don't see anything drastic that would indicate a feeding problem.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 31, 2009 10:42 pm

The rounds went between halfway to 7/8 in and the bolt stopped moving. I managed to get the other 6 rounds in the mag to chamber and fire. After that I fired over 100 rounds of Fed 510 with nary a problem.

I scrubbed the chamber with a bronze brush after the last trip. No other pistol or rifle I've fired has had any problems with the CCI's. Guess I'll shoot something other than the CCI's in the GC.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:15 am

The scrapes and dings, would they be on the top, or the bottom side of the rounds when they were chambered?

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 am

I'm not sure. They were in tightly enough that I couldn't ease them out with the extractor. I'll field strip it and try forcing rounds in the chamber and punching them out with a dowel.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 pm

When they get stuck mark the case, where the firing pin would hit, with a sharpie marker. Then when you extract it you can tell how the cartridge was oriented in the chamber.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Field stripped the pistol and dropped Fed 510's and CCI's into the chamber. The 510's all went in easily and fell out when I pointed the muzzle up. The CCI's were tighter. 5-6 of 20 had to be gently pushed into the chamber. Two had to be removed with a dowel, the remainder came out when I tapped the end of the receiver on the workbench. The CCI's seem to have a smidge larger diameter.

I reassembled the pistol and cycled three rounds from the mag. The first two went in 7/8' and the bolt stopped. Slowly retracting the bolt indicated that the mark on the rounds were not on the half you could see. I suspect it is coming from the bottom of the chamber. All are in about the same place on the bullets.

I tried cycling three rounds through the 22/45. The first round had a bit of lead shaved off, but I had no problems with the bullets feeding.

Slightly larger bullets and a weak recoil spring?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 am

Possibly, the other thing that could be happening is the case rim is getting caught under the extractor hook during insertion and that is robbing the bolt of the energy needed to fully seat the bolt. You mentioned that the same CCI rounds are functioning normally in your other Ruger 22's right?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:28 am

greener wrote:

Slightly larger bullets and a weak recoil spring?
Try the spring assembly from another gun and seee what happens, that will tel you if the spring is the problem or it is elswhere.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:30 am

All indications to me is that his GC has a tighter chamber than the other pistols. There were some back in the nineties that had this condition.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:32 am

Bullseye wrote:All indications to me is that his GC has a tighter chamber than the other pistols. There were some back in the nineties that had this condition.

R,
Bullseye

that makes sense plus some bullet shapes seem to seat easier than others.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Magazines?

Post by greener » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:35 pm

I went out armed with a sharpie to check the bullets. I also brought two new MKII mags. I had no problems with the two new mags or an older mag I hadn't used much. I had a couple problems with the mag I've been using. No problems with the Federals.