MarkII org

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

MarkII org

Post by Yleefox » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Anyone have an idea when/if MarkII org is going to be back up and running?

Yleefox

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Had an e-mail from Rook just a few days ago, saying the upgrading was not going very well. He's using some very slow equipment, so it doesn't look like the Mark II forum will be back very soon. The forum software was compromised allowing a hacker the ability to get into the templates and imbed hidden self extracting programs.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

hackers

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:16 am

Bullseye. you know it is really a waste of intelleigence and effort for that hacker to totally destroy something worthwhile. Too bad his or her talents could not be channeled into somthing useful. Yiou have to have a real working knowledge of programming to get into the software of the site the way it was and leave trojans just to screw up everything. Must be some real anti gun person or just a total jackass.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:26 pm

Or it could be a person with both of those personality traits. :) There's alway someone trying to screw things up for everybody else.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Bullseye wrote:Or it could be a person with both of those personality traits. :) There's alway someone trying to screw things up for everybody else.

R,
Bullseye
What is it, a anti gun nut who is a total jackass or a total jackass who is an anti gun nut? Doesn't really make much difference eh? As they say in the UP. In that part of Michigan, we from down state are known as trolls, because we live down under da bridge eh? Got to get to the western end of th eUP to get taht accent. :P
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:09 pm

bearandoldman wrote:What is it
I'll be willing to bet you a 50-round box of Remington-ThunderBolts :lol:
that is has nothing to do with "guns"...
It is some hacker that found an ISP/Server/Software combination
that he was able to hack-into...

I am thankful for BullsEye providing this "methadone"
for our "heroin" habit... :roll:

EDIT: I believe most Hackers are like a PickUp-burglar that knows
how to use his Slim-Jim on an F-150... and walks the Mall parking lot,
looking for trucks to break-into... He is focused on what he "knows"...
and will ignore a Chevy or RAM, even if they have parcels and toolboxes
in the rear-truck bed... D'oh...
The hackers that are after-something, don't want to shut-down/destroy,
they want to COPY (ID-databases, accounts...) and they just visit and
leave... and you don't know you were "hacked".
If I tell you any more... I'd have to shoot you! If I could just get my
gun un-jammed... know any helpful gun-forums... ?? :P
Last edited by toyfj40 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:34 am

I have to agree with you Toy. The likely culprit was someone looking for an easy target using common password cracking software. The implanted virus was an old one by the standards of today, and almost all virus cleaning software had remedies for that particular worm. But it is still unnerving as an administrator that someone got in and rumaged around inside your program. Kind of like a break-in of your house, you feel violated. Still doesn't change the fact that whoever it was ruined something for everyone for some unknown petty reason.

I'm happy we have this little forum to tide us over. Thanks for the kind words about this forum, but my reasons for starting this bulletin board were not all philanthropic, I get my gun talk fix here too. It's great having a little board like this to talk about the nuances of firearms, without all the aggravations of irritating personalities, like some of the larger forums have. That was one of the things I liked about Mark II.org, everyone was good people. The kind of folks like you might talk with down at the range, or at a barbeque after a match. This board was a birthday gift from my family, and I'm very happy they chose this a present.

R,
Bullseye

Thompson

Post by Thompson » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:38 pm

I just tried the Mark II website and got a real estate company. Looks like someone else has the domain name (markii.org) now. Didn't appear to be a redirect to the real estate site.
Phil

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-online!

That very topic is being discussed in this thread. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211

The domain name was lost due to the original registry host going defunct. With no way to renew the domain someone else scarfed it up as it expired and before the original owner could reclaim it.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

What now?

Post by Yleefox » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:07 am

So now that the domain name has been lost and the site has been hacked, does Rook have any plans for the creation of something new to replace the old site?

I would love to see the person responsible for causing this mess locked up for about 10 years or so. It's just plain senseless.

Yleefox

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: What now?

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:02 am

Yleefox wrote:any plans for the creation of something new to replace the old site?
see a posting under "Community Forums" section...

personally, THIS forum with BullsEye's hard work is all I need.
as Radar & Rook had to change priorities away from MarkII.org,
BullsEye was there to carry the load anyway.
I don't say this to draw the flame-throwers my direction
and certainly no criticism of Radar or Rook,
it's a job that wears anyone out after a while.
I've run enough (old) Mainframes and unix-servers in my day...
I enjoy trying to be a respectful user and not have to be the "admin"...
it's a thankless-job, even on a good-day...
BUT... today... "Thank You, BullsEye" !!!
:P

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:50 am

Yleefox wrote:So now that the domain name has been lost and the site has been hacked, does Rook have any plans for the creation of something new to replace the old site?

I would love to see the person responsible for causing this mess locked up for about 10 years or so. It's just plain senseless.

Yleefox
Yes, as mentioned before this is being discussed on another thread http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211 . Rook has a new domain name and is in working on the new and improved Mark II and III forum format. I won't reveal the new name as yet until the forum software is installed and the URL is active. This should all take place very soon, the domain is registered and once the format is in place, it will go online.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:21 am

toyfj40 wrote: see a posting under "Community Forums" section...

personally, THIS forum with BullsEye's hard work is all I need.
as Radar & Rook had to change priorities away from MarkII.org,
BullsEye was there to carry the load anyway.
I don't say this to draw the flame-throwers my direction
and certainly no criticism of Radar or Rook,
it's a job that wears anyone out after a while.
I've run enough (old) Mainframes and unix-servers in my day...
I enjoy trying to be a respectful user and not have to be the "admin"...
it's a thankless-job, even on a good-day...
BUT... today... "Thank You, BullsEye" !!!
:P
Your very welcome and thanks for those kind words.

I wish to take this opportunity to remind everyone that I do not wish to start a feud between these forums. I have never wanted Guntalk to compete with Mark II.org and have intentionally kept the information in them separate. Only after Mark II.org went offline, did I start adding a lot of Ruger 22 Auto maintenance information into this forum.

I feel compelled to say these next things because I want all to know what has transpired behind the scenes.

I can personally attest that Rook is a man of good character. He has been working very hard to restore the old board data and find the perpetrator(s) of the devious hack attack. We've been in personal contact most of the summer attempting to get Mark II.org back up and running. He has not lost one iota of interest in the Mark II forum. It is very tough to persevere when all efforts result in traveling around in circles with a new software upgrade. He is a fine person who has my utmost personal respect for all he's done trying to recover the old board's data. Rook at one point even tried uploading several different bulletin board software formats in a steadfast attempt to keep all the old thread information and username registration data contained in the new forum. He even enlisted my help in this pursuit but my software programming skills pale in comparison to his; I tried but I fell short. Rook really knows what is going on with programming, so let your hearts not be troubled with his drive and intent. A lot of what he's done was not visible, so it looked like nothing was being done - not true at all.

I hope this helps everyone understand a little better what has transpired in the process of recovering the old forum. Rook's really the one who deserves our thanks and gratitude when the new format is in place.

R,
Bullseye

tglahn17

Post by tglahn17 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi, everyone,

I'll be the next one to give big ups to Bullseye for keeping the Mark II/III on-line forum going. When I got my Mark III Hunter a year ago, markii.org was essential the first time I stripped and reassembled the piece. Thanks,

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:10 pm

:D