Ruger Standard Auto ejector questions

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:30 pm

Joe,

You can send them to me at: [email protected] I'll resize them and place them in your posting.

I can't answer your question on photobucket but they've been around for several years.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Just checked out photobucket. That legal speek on the agreement page lost me about 3 paragraphs in. I run on a rule that if I cannot understand the writen agreements, I don't sign.

So since I'm totally baffled by photobucket, I didn't join up.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:15 pm

Here's your pictures.

The firing pin stop I have in the bin looks exactly like that one.

The new extractor plunger can be cut down to fit. Sure the old one is a little shorter in the barrel end but the new one will fit just fine. The new one having the barrel end a little longer will just mean a little more tension on the plunger spring, but that's such a small amount it shouldn't matter. If the sizes were swapped around the other way then you'd have problems. The thickness of the plunger's spring guide is of not consequence either, the spring will still be captive and not affected by this at all. You should be fine to cut this down if you cannot get the right part. Hey, if ithe old style plunger can't be found new, then modifying it is your only option.

I recognized that cutting mat right off the bat. My bride has one just like it. Does your's know you're using it for holding greasy gun parts? :shock:

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Bullseye,

Thanks for posting my pics.

To keep myself safe and healthy, I clean ALL the gun parts before I put them on that mat.

Joe

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:56 pm

J Miller wrote:Ahhh my favorite 4x4. I wish I had my 78 back ....
Anyway I clicked on the link you posted and this is what I got:
I saw a mid-70 FJ40 the other day in the shop,
they were finishing up a re-build... about $60K thus far...

what can I say about your access to Supload...
it worked for me, here's my test/demo...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:01 pm

Toy, that comic looks like an imitation of the old "Far Side" cartoons. Still funny!

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:32 pm

All I get on my moniter is a white box and a red X.

I had less than two years of really decent payments left when like a simple minded IDIOT I traded my FJ40 off for a new Toyota 4X4 PU.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID thing to do. I kept that POS pu for 8 months and then basically told the bank I had a buyer and either they work with me to get it sold or I'd hand them the keys then and there and take a taxi home. They worked with me. I took a huge loss, but I got rid of it.

Never did replace that FJ40.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:37 pm

Joe, You might have your browser's security set too high to see that one. That download website has pop-ups that come up on your screen, if you click on the thumbnail to enlarge it. Likely your security is blocking the website from displaying on your computer.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:05 pm

Bullseye wrote:Toy, that comic looks like an imitation of the old "Far Side" cartoons.
Yep... that's probably why I enjoy "Rubes".
Gary Larson had a real winner with "Far Side", lots of classics...

Supload is still working from TX... ;)

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Back on topic now:

I called Ruger this morning and actually talked to the guy who pulled my order. I had given the invoice number and my name and phone number to an operator and she said she'd have the parts dept call me back. Great, that makes the long part of the call on their quarter.
So I told the guy that I had ordered a firing pin stop pin but instead I got a firing pin. No problem really, after comparing the new pin to my old pin, I decided to keep it. But I really did need the new FP stop pin. The guy commented, that he'd been in a hurry and remembered pulling the wrong part. He apologized and said he should have slowed down and done it right.
Then I told him that the extractor plunger they'd sent was the wrong one. I described what he had sent, and then described my little short stumpy one. His comment was that the invoice was not marked. I replied that I had told the gal I spoke to that the pistol was a 1955 vintage. At any rate the parts picker didn't have the correct info so he grabbed the most common part. He checked and told me they did still have the short stumpy extractor plungers and would send both parts to me FREE OF CHARGE. He then apologized again and I said, don't wory about it, things happen. No big deal.

So here I sit waiting for parts again. Hopefully they will be correct this time and I can get my old pistola back in action.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:24 pm

They'll take good care of you. Sound like a left hand-right hand scenario. The order taker didn't fully communicate to the parts puller. Sounds like you got them on track and you should get your parts in a day or two.

Hope everything is right.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm

Bullseye,

Well, the second group of parts from Ruger came today. And now I am getting VERY frustrated. Frustration is reduced now.

The original firing pin stop pin measures .1273" in diameter. The new pin measures .1246" in dia. A difference of .0027". The old pin was a slip fit in the bolt, and someone put a couple small dimples with a punch on the left side of the bolt to keep it from comeing out.
But the new one is a loose fit.
I'm concerned that the pin being loose will move side to side and cause wear inside the receiver.
I'm considering using a hammer to slightly egg shape one end of the pin so it is a snug fit in the bolt. That way it won't move.
Any suggestions?

And the second extractor plunger is shorter than the first one, but still longer than the original.
Assembled the new extractor, new shorter extractor plunger, and new extractor spring into bolt. It all fit with no binding and more tension on the extractor. This problem is solved.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:30 am

Joe,

This actually happens quite often. These pins have a tendency to walk in the bolt. I haven't seen one cause drag or wear inside the receiver, it just free floats in the pin channel. The ease of these pins to depart the bolt is one reason why Ruger has a Caution for always checking to ensure the pin is in place after fieldstripping the pistol.

I usually use a ball peen hammer on one end of a firing pin stop when I enconter one that likes to walk too easily. I misshapen it just enough to cause drag; the term egg shaped you used is a good description. Be careful, too much and the pin will not fit properly into the bolt. I never stake the bolt to keep the pin in, that must have been an old solution for a similar problem. If you break another one, there is a temporary fix, a 7/64" drill bit shank works great in this situation.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Bullseye,

I'll check and see if I have a 7/64" drill bit.
I haven't spoken to the pin yet with the ball peen hammer, but I will. I put it back to gether last night to test fit every thing and it all fit and worked.
All I need to do now is snug up the pin and go test fire it.

Joe