MK III Hunter sight swap ????

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MK III Hunter sight swap ????

Post by J Miller » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:29 am

I saw a picture of the MK III Hunter yesterday. I really liked the looks of that lone fluted barrel. However I don't care for the sights it had on it. They were the colored light gathering things.

Anyway, I was wondering if they could be swapped for the target type sights?

Joe

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: MK III Hunter sight swap ????

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 am

J Miller wrote:I saw a picture of the MK III Hunter yesterday. I really liked the looks of that lone fluted barrel. However I don't care for the sights it had on it. They were the colored light gathering things.

Anyway, I was wondering if they could be swapped for the target type sights?

Joe
Yes they can, have put the HiViz sight on a couple of my 22/45's and have a couple of front sights in the toolbox. If you need one, PM or e mail me and maybe we can do a swap or something.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:20 pm

bearandoldman,

I don't have the MK III yet, but when I get one I'll get with you on the sights.
I'm trying to get my lil old Standard Auto back up and running right now.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:46 am

Joe,

The regular iron sights for a Mark II/III will fit directly onto your Mark III when you get it. All the sight mounting holes/slots are identical between these models.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:59 am

Thanks for the information. Am now going to start looking for a new pistola.

Joe

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:16 pm

Bullseye wrote:Joe,

The regular iron sights for a Mark II/III will fit directly onto your Mark III when you get it. All the sight mounting holes/slots are identical between these models.

R,
Bullseye
I'm thinking of changing the sights on the new 22/45 hunter. I'm not sure I like the Hi Vis Sight.
I know I have to change the front sight, but, can I just replace the leaf in the rear or do I have to change the whole sight?
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:05 pm

Bud33 wrote: I'm thinking of changing the sights on the new 22/45 hunter. I'm not sure I like the Hi Vis Sight.
I know I have to change the front sight, but, can I just replace the leaf in the rear or do I have to change the whole sight?
You can just replace the rear sight blade leaf. If you like, you can even purchase a replacement from Ruger. The part number of the regular blade is MR05901.

R,
Bullseye

tglahn17

Post by tglahn17 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:04 pm

Hi, Joe,

I got my Mark III Hunter about a year ago. The Hi-Viz front sight blade wasn't molded correctly. It didn't sit straight up on the muzzle. I called Ruger about this, and they sent me a regular target front blade and rear leaf at no charge. Installing the rear leaf isn't difficult. Uncrew the windage adjustment all the way out. Be careful that the spring doesn't pop out. Remove the old leaf, and insert the new leaf. I think the pointier side of leaf base should be on the right, from the shooter's view. It'll be obvious when you remove the old leaf. I really prefer the deep square rear notch over the shallow V Hi-Viz rear notch. Good luck,

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:00 pm

Welcome to Guntalk tglahn17!

How is your trigger pin in your Mark III? You should be receiving your parts from Rimfire Sports pretty soon. You're going to like that trigger when your all done installing those parts.

Happy to see you here on the forum. I look forward to sharing info with you in the future.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:48 pm

I hope he has better luck getting a trigger than I have.
I went ahead and installed the sear and that made a great difference, but I cannot get the trigger. There has been some confusion over what I want, and now that I have that cleared up (I want a MK III Trigger with the pre and post travel screws) I'm told that they don't have them yet and they will back order the.. I thought a saw where Boomer got one back in July.
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:50 pm

Did Alan say he was out of stock on the VC3TT VQ triggers? Boomer did get one but he got it for his Mark II. You can read about that one here; http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158 . Rich G got one too and he and boomer discuss it on this thread; http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126 .

Boomer also noticed a problem with the design on the new trigger and brought it to Nic Volquartsen's attention. That may be why there's a back order, the first ones did not have all the proper cuts on the back side of the trigger.

R,
Bullseye

tglahn17

Post by tglahn17 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi, Bullseye,

That's so awesome that you recognized me from the Ruger forum! I placed my order for the Mark III accurizing kit before I read your recommendations to get just the sear and trigger. I sent Rimfire an e-mail to change my order to just the sear and trigger, but they'd already shipped me the whole kit. Alan said that I could send back the kit and get just the sear and trigger. But if there's an inventory issue with the trigger, maybe I should keep the kit? It seems like the material difference between the kit and the sear/trigger combo is the Volquartsen hammer. Is the hammer worth a couple thousand rounds of ammo? (My usual Federal Champion 36-gr JHP bulk pack, $9.99 for 525 rounds at our local Sportman's Warehouse.) Thanks,

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 pm

tglahn17,

I should put this in the for sale section but being new here you might miss it.
I have one of the new VC3TT black triggers(new, still in the bag) I'm not going to use. It is one of the later ones with a hard powder coat finish.
If you can't find one anywhere else e-mail me and we'll try to work something out.
About the hammer. Follow Bullseye's instructions on shimming the MK111 hammer with a washer and you won't need the VQ hammer.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Boomer I think Bud33 might be interested in that trigger you've got extra. Maybe the trading post is a good idea.

Tglahn17 bought the Mark III kit, so he has a VQ Mark III hammer in it. I don't recall him mentioning he was interested in removing the mag disconnect. but that's good advice you gave if he is interested in removing it.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 pm

tglahn17 wrote:Hi, Bullseye,

That's so awesome that you recognized me from the Ruger forum! I placed my order for the Mark III accurizing kit before I read your recommendations to get just the sear and trigger. I sent Rimfire an e-mail to change my order to just the sear and trigger, but they'd already shipped me the whole kit. Alan said that I could send back the kit and get just the sear and trigger. But if there's an inventory issue with the trigger, maybe I should keep the kit? It seems like the material difference between the kit and the sear/trigger combo is the Volquartsen hammer. Is the hammer worth a couple thousand rounds of ammo? (My usual Federal Champion 36-gr JHP bulk pack, $9.99 for 525 rounds at our local Sportman's Warehouse.) Thanks,
I remember folks who I've helped get through problems, and I'm pleased to see you here with us on Guntalk.

That's Allan, somtimes he's too efficient in shipping off his orders. But as you said, he's got a back-up plan to keep you happy.

I don't know if there's a shortage of triggers, today was the first I've heard that he's short of them. Unfortunately, this had to happen on Friday and I can't get with him to confirm any supply shortages. The hammer and the extended bolt release are the main added parts in the kit. This is your call, but I'd check with Alan before opening up that kit, maybe he's still got some triggers. You don't need to install that hammer to improve the feel of that trigger. In fact, the only reason I recommended replacing the trigger was to get the externally adjustable pretravel screw. That new trigger will greatly reduce the trigger's travel and that will enhance the feel of the trigger pull a lot. The sear is the one main component for a better, crisper trigger pull.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye