Sig P220 SAO .22LR

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

NGIB

Sig P220 SAO .22LR

Post by NGIB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:56 am

Just ordered what I think will be a very spiffy gun from Bud's. It's a Sig P220R, SAO with the Sig .22LR kit installed. At $399 delivered, this seems like an exceptional value for a quality .22 pistol and Sig includes a coupon to buy the .45 conversion for $399 as well.

Basically, for $800 you get a NIB P220R with the .22 conversion kit...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... /411535990
We sleep safe abed at night only because rough men stand ready in the dark to do violence on our behalf - George Orwell

USAF-Retired

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:17 am

Let us know how it shoots after you get it.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:58 pm

I've fired a Sig with the .22 conversion kit. Shot pretty well. I think you will like yours.

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 am

It comes in today and I'm looking forward to giving it a run. From what I've read on the Sig forum, folks that have them are very happy with them...
We sleep safe abed at night only because rough men stand ready in the dark to do violence on our behalf - George Orwell

USAF-Retired

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 am

Brought the new toy to the range after work yesterday to give it a smoke test. Sig recommends using CCI Mini-Mags so this is the ammo I started out with. Put 100 rounds of CCI thru it and it was flawless and quite accurate. I then switched to Winchester 333 and put another 100 rounds downrange - with 1 FTF. With 200 rounds fired, I switched to Federal bulk figuring with the gun dirty by now this would be a good test. Fired 100 of the Fed's with no problems at all.

All in all, fired 300 rounds in one session with 1 FTF. The SAO trigger felt good with a quick reset as I fired at least 1 mag of each ammo as fast as I could squeeze it off.

I am very, very pleased!

USAF-Retired

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:26 pm

That is good to know. Sounds like you've found a winner.

R,
Bullseye

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 pm

One thing to watch out for with the Sig P220 .22 conversion. Since the slide does not lock back on the last round it is easy to essentially dry fire at the end of each magazine full of ammo. This causes peaning of the breech face and will result in failures to feed and failures to eject eventually. There have been a number of reports of this problem occuring over on the Sig Forum web site. The problem is readily repairable but is best avoided. I have read of the problem showing up with less than a thousand rounds through the gun. One tip I read was to load a dummy round in the magazine first then top off with live ammo. Then when you pull the trigger at the end of the magazine you are dropping the hammer on the dummy round. Of course this gives you only a 9 live round magazine capacity.

DWS

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 am

I've always been a round counter myself so it's not a problem. I've also read the same thing and the dummy round is a reasonable solution...

USAF-Retired