I put my VQ sear and updated hammer pin in today.

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I've found that an ounce of kindness to a stranger can usually lead to a lifetime of good friendship.

I also heard an old saying, "Lend someone twenty dollars and if you never hear from them again it was a money well spent."

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Bullseye wrote:I've found that an ounce of kindness to a stranger can usually lead to a lifetime of good friendship.

I also heard an old saying, "Lend someone twenty dollars and if you never hear from them again it was a money well spent."

R,
Bullseye
Yes, been there and done that but the money did get returned a lot of yearts later.
Young fellow worked with us ans knew he had medication and alcohol problems. He was no longer employed by us but came in one day begging to borrow a $20, just to get rid of him so I would not be arrested for anything I gave it to him and kept that saying in mind. Well he eventually ended up in front of a Judge who gave him the choice of Army or prison, and he figured the Army did have a little more freedom that prison. Must have been 10 or more years later he was living in the Chicago area where he had been stationed and was discharged, he was in town and stopped him and he had really cleaned up his act. Talked to him for a while and out of the blue he hands me a $20 and says, bet you never expected to see this again, eh? Shortly after the helped me up from the floor. I agreed with him. They say the Army will make a man out of you, well they did in this case
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

woody57

Post by woody57 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:14 am

This week I revamped my Mk3 with the VQ sear, Trigger, extractor and extended bolt release. I also installed a Hogue grip. Wow what a difference. The gun relay shoots nice. The instructions here were invaluable; I would not have even done any of this without them. Now I have a much nicer gun. I also took off the rear adjustable sight and flipped the rail around so I could move the red dot more to the rear, which balances it out more, not so front heavy.

Can I dry fire my Mk3? I would like to improve my trigger control and would like to do it at home. Will it damage the gun?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:14 pm

Ruger's in general are best not dry fired excessively. The firing pin stop pin can get damaged from repeated striking of the firing pin. Once that happens the firing pin can strike the chamber mouth distorting it and causing feeding problems. A little dry firing is all right but inspect the stop pin periodically for damage. Regular maintenance poses no problem for the stop if dry fired to disassemble the pistol.

R,
Bullseye

woody57

Post by woody57 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Bullseye, could I use dummy rounds to for dry fire practice?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:35 am

You can use a dummy round. You could also use a spent casing. In either case, if you plan to do a lot of dry firing remember to spin the case around in the chamber mouth after every few dry fires. As I recall another member here uses drywall plugs (or some type of plastic hardware plug) as a dummy round (I think it was Greener or Toyfi), that is way more economical than dummy rounds.

A third option that I use is to take the firing pin out if I am planning to do a dry-fire session. If you do this you need to be extra careful about ensure that you install the firing pin stop when you put it back together.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm

This week I revamped my Mk3 with the VQ sear, Trigger, extractor and extended bolt release. I also installed a Hogue grip. Wow what a difference. The gun relay shoots nice. The instructions here were invaluable; I would not have even done any of this without them. Now I have a much nicer gun. I also took off the rear adjustable sight and flipped the rail around so I could move the red dot more to the rear, which balances it out more, not so front heavy.
Woody, I pretty much did the same thing as you did. With the new trigger and sear, she really shoots nice. I took the rear sight off too to move the scope back, and I also removed the front sight as well (it just kept coming loose anyway). Check out the pics on my Ruger Marklll Target model, w/ matchdot scope.
Watch out Prairie Dog!
Haka

harper_07

Post by harper_07 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:49 pm

HAKA looks sweet. Shot my III competition target for the first time this weekend. Fun times. Can't wat to make these mods. What made you decide on the match dot over the other less expensive ultradots?

woody57

Post by woody57 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Very nice Haka. I am really glad that I moved the red dot back, so much better balance. How do you like the match dot?

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 pm

Bullseye wrote:Ruger's in general are best not dry fired excessively. The firing pin stop pin can get damaged from repeated striking of the firing pin. Once that happens the firing pin can strike the chamber mouth distorting it and causing feeding problems. A little dry firing is all right but inspect the stop pin periodically for damage. Regular maintenance poses no problem for the stop if dry fired to disassemble the pistol.
Thanks, Bullseye.

Duh-hh... Where do i find the thang?...
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm

How do you like the match dot?
What made you decide on the match dot over the other less expensive ultradots?
The reason I chose the MatchDot is because of the good write-ups, and because I figured it would give me all I need. I can keep the target hits at about 3" @ 50' when it's all tuned up. Good enough for me, cause I'll never a living off it (I'll keep the day job). It is alot of fun keeping both eyes open while shooting. It also has a lifetime guaranty. IMO, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a decent red dot, who's not real serious about competition, and even if you are!
haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:47 am

The firing pin stop pin is in the bolt. It is the cross pin just behind the extractor. Some of the newer pistols have a roll pin installed in this position and it looks like the pin is missing to the casual observer. Most other models have a solid pin installed. Here is what a bolt looks like with the hollow pin installed in the firing pin stop hole.

And how to remove a FP stop pin.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Good info b.e. I have never taken the bolt/extractor apart because I felt "why take something apart if it works ok". Maybe I should just to take a look?
Just a quick question: I shoot a rifle left handed ever since the Marine Corps in the '60s and a pistol right handed. I am left eye dominant. Is this bass ackwards?
I am right handed, and I am left eye dominant. People at the range have a hard time believing it, but it's true. I used to play baseball and pitched. While pitching, if you notice from the "stretch position", you peek to home plate from your left eye. Also, batting, you peek to the pitcher with the left eye. After 30 years of "peeking", I gues the left eye became boss.
H