Ruger old Standard model .22 magazine question

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mako72

Ruger old Standard model .22 magazine question

Post by Mako72 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I just joined the forum, this is one great place for rimfire questions, lots of knowledge here. Recently, I purchased a used Ruger .22 pistol. I was told by the seller that it was an older Standard model. I looked the serial number up on Ruger's website and they say it was most likely produced back in 1955-56. It is in beautiful shape, one 9-shot magazine and no wear on the blueing anywhere but it came with no box or manual etc. I would like to purchase a couple of more magazine for it. MidwayUSA lists a Ruger 9-shot blue magazine P/N 197678 which it states fits "old style" Mark I, pre A100 w/ unstamped grip frame models. Before I order, I thought the experts here could shed some light as to whether this is the correct magazine for my old Ruger in fit and function. What bothers me is Midway does not mention that it fits the Standard model (which I believe predated the Mark I model?) and I have no idea what "pre-A100 w/ unstamped grip frame means". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 pm

welcome to the forum.
others will follow-up on details for your extra-Mags.

until then... I believe the "un stamped" refers to
removing your plastic-grips (I forget which side)
and the 'A100' is impressed in the metal under the grip.
My gut-feel is that a '56 era Ruger "RST" is as you
were told.

My other Ruger-pistols are MK2, so I'm also ignernt of the MK3 --grin
take care, --toy

this may be a Fun-Read: (see 'A 100' frame mid-way down)
http://Hunting.About.com/od/guns/l/aast50rugersa.htm

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.

The frame you have is known as an A-54. This is the pre-1972 frame with the follower button channel on the right side of the frame. The A-100 is the number that is stamped on the metal frame underneath the left grip on the 1972 and later model Ruger 22 Auto pistols. Unstamped is the designation for a frame that has no markings under the grip panels. Later on Ruger would stamp the frames on a Mark II as A-10,000, because it is modified for the bolt stop assembly and the trigger locking "piano style" spring.

Midway's "old style" M-9 magazines will fit in your gun, as your's is an unstamped frame. You can also use M-10 magazines in your standard, by swapping the follower button over to the right hand side. The external dimensions between the M-9 and M-10 mags are identical.

The frames are the same for the Standard and the Mark I models. The main difference between these two models is the addition of adjustable target sights. There are a few other minor differences between the Target and Standard models but they are things like an adjustable trigger and different barrel profiles.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mako72

Post by Mako72 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 pm

toyfj40- That was an informative article, thanks. I'm new to Ruger .22 pistols having bought a new MarkIII 512 and the before mentioned Standard model both within the last month. The article brought me up to speed.

Bullseye- Yes, you are correct, upon pulling the grip, I found it to be unstamped. That is great news that the "older" Midway Ruger magazine will fit my model, I'll be ordering a couple. Thanks for the information!

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Please post a pic of you pistol if possible...
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson