Recomendations for Handgun for hiking-backpacking

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mrobert

Recomendations for Handgun for hiking-backpacking

Post by mrobert » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Looking for Recommendations.
I am a hiker and a backpacker and a carry a pistol with me most of the time. I have carried a North American Arms 22 magnum with a 1” barrel for several years. It is a fine firearm for what it was designed to do but it is difficult to hit anything beyond a few feet.
I would like the ability to take some small game if it became necessary in an emergency situation. My gun dealer recommended that I look at a Ruger 22/45 with 4-5” barrel. I am also looking at a Taurus 941 in 22 mag
in the altra-light with 2" barrel.
My needs are:
Safety.
Light weight under two pounds with ammo.
Easy to carry.
Reliability in what can be difficult situations i.e. rain, mud, etc..
Accuracy out to about 50 ft.
Sights that can be seen in low light conditions.
The ability to use shot rounds as I often have the first round as snake shot
What would you recommend?
thanks
mrobert

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:03 am

The answer depends on if you're seeking an auto or a revolver. I see by your consideration of the Taurus 941 that you are open to either type of pistol. For packpacking having a revolver can be a good idea based on reliability. There's not much that can jam up a revolver.

Is a magnum round desireable, or will 22 LR be acceptable? The 941's good choice for a magnum, but if 22 LR is OK, then how about the Taurus 94SUL. Definitely a light weight pistol and the finish is good for extreme climates.

Trying to get low light sights on a backpacking pistol can be difficult. There are night sights available for the Ruger, if you're inclined to go with an autoloading pistol. The short barreled Rugers, P4 or similar models are a great choice for autoloaders.

Try some shopping at your nearest gun store and see which model best fits your needs and hands.

Hope this helps, and Welcome to Gun-Talk.

R,
Bullseye

mrobert

Post by mrobert » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:30 pm

I have been told that the 22 would be on the light side for use with shot for snakes thus the 22 mag. has been recommended plus the revolver will work if wet or dirty. I have a 38 in a Taurus but it is too heavy to carry with ammo when you are counting every ounce. I have used revolvers for several years. Would there be much difference in the accuracy between the 2 inch and 4 or 5 inch in the taurus 941. I am leaning towards a taurus 941 because of weight about 18 ozs in the altra-lite and 24ozs in the 4" and I have a Taurus in a 38 which has been a good gun.
thanks for the reply.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Recomendations for Handgun for hiking-backpacking

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:37 am

mrobert wrote:What would you recommend?
I'm not a [H/B]iker, but I do truck/tent camp a fair amount,
usually BigBend area. I tried a few .22LR ShotShells in my
Taurus 94B4 and they did not have the impact at 10feet
that I'd want for a Rattler, much less a Javalina.
I decided on the Rossi 2" .38+P, I keep two .38-ShotShells
followed by three .38+P for the undocumented visitor.
The UncleMike holster makes for a pretty small, but useful
Revolver. I did consider the Charter "PathFinder" in .22wmr,
but decided the 22Mag is too much of a rifle-cartridge for a 2".
Good luck on your choice.
Image toyfj40

mrobert

Post by mrobert » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:19 am

I am still seeking a light backpacking gun. I have looked at several. Most are too heavy for my needs where every ounce counts. Has any of you had an experience with the North American Arm Mini -Master in the 22 mag with the four inch barrel. I have use an NAA mini in a 22 mag for several years but the short barrel at a little over one inch is difficult to shoot pass about 10 feet. The Mini Master with a bigger grips and better sights might serve my needs for backpacking.
thanks

lespaul85

Post by lespaul85 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:48 pm

2 suggestions (takem or leavem...)...

1) If you can bear the 2.5 pounds and slightly larger size, how about a Henry US Survival rifle? Those things break down to just a butt stock (where all the other parts go). It's 22lr, but shot accurately, that shouldn't matter for a number of things. Scope it out and have a long range varminter there.

2) Walther P-22 with a red-dot scope AND your NAA 22 mag. Both together give redundancy in case one fails, and you get both types of ammo. My walther is very small and very light (FAR lighter than my 5.5 inch Ruger 22/45)... And though it's accurate "enough", it's dead on accurate with a red-dot, which is also light. Personally, Id' say if you could carry it, the 22/45 is great, but for weight savings a P22 will do great along side your existing 22 mag.

Charon

Post by Charon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:29 pm

Based on my somewhat limited experience, I'd guess the .22 shotshells simply won't work in any autoloader. Sure, it'll fire, but it won't eject, and you'll probably have to get it out with a rod. I've never had one work correctly in an autoloader, rifle or pistol. I haven't tried the CCI ones with the plastic shot capsule, so can't say anything about them.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:18 am

lespaul85 wrote:1) If you can bear the 2.5 pounds and slightly larger size, how about a Henry US Survival rifle?
I have the Henry-Survival... and it's kinda "fun"... **BUT**
I later discovered the Marlin-'Papoose'-70pSS,
it uses the Model-60 receiver and has a removable barrel.
the Survival/AR-7 has too many feed/Mag troubles...
the Papoose has all the design-experience of the "60"...

wer1038

Post by wer1038 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 am

mrobert wrote:Looking for Recommendations.
I am a hiker and a backpacker and a carry a pistol with me most of the time. I have carried a North American Arms 22 magnum with a 1” barrel for several years. It is a fine firearm for what it was designed to do but it is difficult to hit anything beyond a few feet.
I would like the ability to take some small game if it became necessary in an emergency situation. My gun dealer recommended that I look at a Ruger 22/45 with 4-5” barrel. I am also looking at a Taurus 941 in 22 mag
in the altra-light with 2" barrel.
My needs are:
Safety.
Light weight under two pounds with ammo.
Easy to carry.
Reliability in what can be difficult situations i.e. rain, mud, etc..
Accuracy out to about 50 ft.
Sights that can be seen in low light conditions.
The ability to use shot rounds as I often have the first round as snake shot
What would you recommend?
thanks
mrobert
Hello Robert, What about the ruger 22/45 and a paclite barrell .. They are made of aluminum and have a steel sleeve .. They come in 2.5 " to 8.5" .. They are good and they are accurate too . I don't think you can get much liter than that .. You can get them thru a dealer from Tactical Solutions in Idaho .. Phone 866-333-9901 or www.tacticalsol.com .. Keep your regular barrel and reciever .. There's come complete with reciever and sites .. wer1038

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by John fox » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:47 am

Please note that if you use shot loads with a semi the gun won't cycle for the next shot. You will need a revolver to do that.

JimK

Post by JimK » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:19 am

The short brl. Trailside is what I would recommend.

Jim101

Post by Jim101 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:54 pm

Hello all,

New guy here, I found out about your board from FFF, I am also a long time member of MARKIII.org and love shooting .22's..

I have an NAA mini-mag that I think would is a great gun for hiking or backpacking......Light and you can drop it in your pocket, unless you run into a bear......

Jim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:55 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online Jim!

I don't carry a .22 for hiking, I just use my regular carry gun - G27. Its compact and the 40 cal packs a good punch if necessary.

If you're dead set on a .22 then one of the short barreled 22/45's would be a good choice.

R,
Bullseye

Jim101

Post by Jim101 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:30 pm

Bullseye,

I like the Mini-Mag for extended walks in areas that I know, good for snakes. For shorter walks where wieght doen't matter I either go with the 22/45 or KelTec .32..... If I REALLY don't know the area and the amount of hikers is sparse, it's either my Bersa .380 or S&W 9mm with the 15 round mag.....Choices,Choices......

Jim