22caliber doubleaction revolver with barrel longer than 4

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Canadian Shooter

22caliber doubleaction revolver with barrel longer than 4

Post by Canadian Shooter » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:11 pm

Good Day everyone:

I have been trying to find the perfect gun for my needs. Part of the problem is I am in Canada. (Don't get me started on our gun laws).

I am looking for a 22 caliber revolver (or semi auto if such a thing exists)that shoots all 22 caliber and is double action. Convertible to shoot 22 mag would be a great bonus.

The problems start with the fact that I must have a barrel that is 4.25 inches or longer to be legal here. Anything shorter is prohibited unless you owned it before the laws changed. ( that said anything longer or bigger makes it a pain to carry) This rules out the SP101 from Ruger. (model KP241x, I believe). I thought this was going to be the one.

The New single six from Ruger looked good but it is a single action although being able to put a 22 mag cylinder in it is a great bonus.

I looked at Kimber for example as the 92/96 series may be converted to 22 caliber, but the cost is crazy for my (wife) imposed budget. I thought about the beretta that converts as well but seem to have ruled it out from some of the reviews I have read and your soldiers seem to have nothing but problems with them. The beretta model 84 and 87 types seem to have problems as well and I have used one that has had jamming problems.

May be I am just to picky for my own good, but I am limited to what I can legally use and carry in conditons imposed by the all knowing government types. Oh and yes I considered a 32 and 25 caliber but once again prohibited unless you are a professional type shooter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am leaning towards the ruger single six model NR 4 with 4 and five eights barrel. I though a double action might be easier and faster to use than a single (?) if I can locate one.
Canadian Shooter

KP345PR
22/45 Mark III Hunter

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:02 am

Welcome to the Forum!

If you could find one the S&W K22 has most of the features you asked about in a 22 revolver. Unfortunately the K22 has been out of production for a number of years. They are still available on the used market but in Canada that may be a tall order. I did see a reference to a K22 RCMP trainer model.

In production guns, the S&W Model 617. It has most of the specifications you asked for in a 22 revolver. It even has a model that comes with a 10 shot cylinder. But it doesn't shoot the magnums.

Here's a link: Model 617

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Canadian Shooter

Post by Canadian Shooter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:30 am

Thanks for your help Bullseye. Is this gun a DA?
Canadian Shooter

KP345PR
22/45 Mark III Hunter

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:45 am

Yes, both models are double action.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: 22caliber doubleaction revolver with barrel longer than

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Canadian Shooter wrote:I am looking for a .22 caliber revolver that shoots all 22 caliber
is double action. Convertible to shoot 22 mag would be a great bonus.

barrel must be 4.25" (+) to be legal here.
Taurus 94B5
I may have missed a "detail", but will the Taurus '94' do it ?
They have a "94SS5" that is Stainless Steel.
There is a model "941B5" (& SS5) that is .22wmr

I have the 94B4 (4" barrel) and it's a nice handling revolver
for Aguila-Colibri (375fps) ... thru ... Aguila-SuperMax (1750fps)