Bolt not locking back on empty

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mike W1

Bolt not locking back on empty

Post by Mike W1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Mark III 22/45 and the bolt doesn't lock back on empty any more. 4 OEM magazines and they all do it. Have replaced the bolt stop and even a new bolt assembly. Didn't change out the spring and detent with new and don't really see how that would make a difference but I've been wrong many times before. Inserting an empty magazine manually does operate the bolt stop but seldom does it lock back the bolt when firing.

Think I did a pretty decent job cleaning things and I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Mike

Mike W1

Re: Bolt not locking back on empty

Post by Mike W1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Well by pure accident the riddle is solved! Went out to shoot a bit ago and the little "handle" of the JBN bolt release came off. After that the bolt locked back every time like it should. I couldn't see anything wrong with the piece but suspect that the pin it pivots on became worn over time. I don't think it was a metal pin but will have to strip the gun down to verify that. It's not going back on anyhow. I do have a new Ruger bolt stop that I'll probably put in as the new part extends out about 1/8" further than the original part did.

Mike
Mike