What is your carry holster?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What is your carry holster?

Post by Tbag » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:19 pm

I live in one of the fairly gun free states that allow carrying of your favorite weapon. I don't typically carry everyday but my 1911 is usually not far from hand, as I travel through out some of the lesser areas of Florida. I was using a Milt Sparks Summer Special II which is a very nice holster for the money, but not always the most comfortable.

Well I kinda got a little lucky, I have read and heard for years how nice a Milt Sparks VM II holster was, endless write up's on them and all good. The only down side was a typical wait time of 4 months and sometimes more as most may know that these are handmade. My luck would have it that I found a company that actually had exactly what I wanted in stock. I almost fell out of my truck when I spotted a package at the front no less than four days after I ordered it. Well after wearing it for a couple days I now know what all the hoopla was about, no other holster I've ever owned comes even remotely close to this VM II. Granted they are not cheap, they aren't you forty or fifty dollar holster, more like two and half time that, but you know it's worth it. If I had known better I would have saved my schekels years ago and bought one of these both dropping another dime on any other brand.

Enough of me, what do you all utilize for your carry rig?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Nothing fancy for me, I just use an Uncle Mike's Inside-the-Pants holster for my G27.

R,
Bullseye

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

I'd Also Like to Know

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:51 am

Being from the People's Republic of New Jersey getting a carry permit is almost impossible. But I do enjoy shooting in IDPA matches so I'm currently looking for ideas. I'm hoping I don't have to build up a collection of holsters while I'm looking for the one I really want. I'm currently using an inexpensive Uncle Mike's pancake holster which is not working out too well. It is way too much of a pain to re-holster the gun once it is drawn.

I'm not a real fan of the kydex holsters but that seems to be the way most IDPA shooters go. Would love to find something in leather that I like. Can't stand IWB holsters. One feature I really want is to be able to get the holster on and off without taking off my belt. I know that paddle type holsters do that but I like the security of the holster being attached to the belt.

I hope you get some good responses.

DWS

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:57 am

D.W.S., so what kind of pistol are you shooting with at the match?

What is it that the non-free states don't get about concealed carry. Oh I know it's the "blood shall runnth in the streets".

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:57 am

Just plain leather and not much to look at, a hip pocket leather holster originally intended for a J frame Smith but fits n SA Micro well. Other than that a Kel TEc .380 in whatever left hand pocket is available.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 pm

My usual CCW is my 1911 Kimber Pro Carry II .45 and I use a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB holster. It's not the most expensive on the market by a long shot but it fits my Kimber like a glove. It has the smoothest draw of any holster I've ever used and it's easy to get the pistol back in place. I've also got a Galco pancake for 1911s but I don't like it as well. When I carry one of my XDs, I use a Kydex from Uncle Mike's but that's usually when I'm out in the boonies some place.
DSW, I don't know what pistol you shoot in the IDP matches and I know you don't particularly care for Kydex, but Uncle Mike's makes a decent paddle-style Kydex that's fairly easy to remove without taking off your belt and seems to be pretty stable also. I've used them for my XDs in the past. I don't think there's any holster that's all that easy to remove or put on without at least taking your belt partially off.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My Gun

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 pm

Tbag and Blindpig,

I'm shooting a Sig P220R in IDPA. One problem seems to be that R on the end. Not all of the holster makers have one for the P220 with a rail. From what I've read a P220R will not fit in a holster molded for the P220.

DWS