eye dominence

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jocro

eye dominence

Post by jocro » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:30 pm

What is the best way to teach a right handed shooter with left-eye dominant?

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:42 pm

For pistol I just use my left eye and my right hand in a classic weaver stance. For rifle however, I have begun teaching myself to only use my right eye by using an eyepatch. I know it's hokey, but it works.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 am

jjfunk wrote:For pistol I just use my left eye and my right hand in a classic weaver stance. For rifle however, I have begun teaching myself to only use my right eye by using an eyepatch. I know it's hokey, but it works.
My buddy the eye DR told me just as JJ does.

SD

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:07 am

Using the dominant eye in pistol is very important. Cross eye dominance is much more prevalent than thought. About 30% of right hand shooters I've encountered, over the years, are left eye dominant.

Rifle is one discipline where opposite eye and hand dominance can conflict. One cannot simply hold the sights over to the dominant eye when shooting rifle like one can with a pistol. Here I teach shooters to apply a strip of cellophane tape to aiming part of their shooting glasses. The tape will blur the vision enough so the shooter does not experience double sight pictures but not block out the ambient light necessary to reduce eye strain in the aiming eye. With the tape being strategically placed on the shooting glasses he can still keep both eyes open and it will still allow for the shooter to look out of the lower portion of the non-aiming lens to view the target clearly through a spotting scope.

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:35 am

Have seen the tape on the len's trick, what really improved my shooting was when my cataract got bad enough that I could see diddley out of it. Best thing I didn't need to remove any tape to drive home! This is a new year and the cataract has just been removed, shortly I will see how well I've learned. Boy is the clearity amazing, gotta get the right eye done now, it's worse than I thought. I was a walking blind man.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:44 pm

I certainly know all about the left eye dominant/right hand shooter thing. I have amblyopia in my right eye so it's useless as far as focusing on a gun sight. I was brought up shooting a pistol right handed and I still do today although I'm somewhat ambidextrous, so I can shoot left handed if necessary. Of course, rifle shooting is a different matter and I even have a left hand model CZ 452 that I like very much. It does take some adjustment to shoot a rifle left handed that was designed to be used right handed, particularly something like an AR. The only time I've really had much trouble was back in the early eighties when I had a Colt CAR with a flat sided upper. That hot brass hitting you in the right cheek under your shooting glasses will cause you to flinch a little!