Milk, Gas or "Bullets"???

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Milk, Gas or "Bullets"???

Post by MicroGuy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Probably old news for most of ya, price of ammo going up.....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... f6a54.html

I'd love to hear comments about this. In general I've heard how cheap it is to shoot a .22 gun, anywhere from about 2 cents or more per....

But I'm seeing more than that. Is it the higher prices?? Or I need to buy in lots of 5000 rounds? (and the cheap stuff).

Either way, I've always planed on stocking up, I'd like to keep several thousand rounds down in the basement, and a good supply of higher power rounds that I hardly ever shoot. not as many of course.

(but that's just the way I am)

Oh, notice the nomenclature, even the police chief calls 'em "bullets". I've noticed several people irked at the press calling ammo "bullets".

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Milk, Gas or "Bullets"???

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:59 am

MicroGuy wrote:Either way, I've always planed on stocking up,
I'd like to keep several thousand rounds down in the basement
me, too!
I plan to get a few extra 'bricks' so the "hoarders" can't get it.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:12 am

toyfj40 wrote:
MicroGuy wrote:Either way, I've always planed on stocking up,
I'd like to keep several thousand rounds down in the basement
me, too!
I plan to get a few extra 'bricks' so the "hoarders" can't get it.
Me too, got to get them before the hoarders get there.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 pm

My problem is I always get there AFTER the hoarders!

Last time I went out to get ammo, there wasn't much of a choice. I mean, I could buy a whole bunch of boxes of 50.

So I figure I'll purchase an extra box or two of 500's when I buy anything.

More like buying when it's there, instead of waiting till I want it, when it may not be there.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:04 pm

MicroGuy wrote:Probably old news for most of ya, price of ammo going up.....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... f6a54.html
----------------------------------clip------------------------------------------
I have been seeing this claim since July or maybe even before... So far, I have experienced very little increase in where I by my ammo. (Wally World) For example, I got a box of 550 rounds of Federal 22 today for $9.88 and 50 rounds of Blazer for 7.67 and as near as I recall that is about what it was in July.
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:48 am

Some brands haven't increased all that much but others have gone up. When the ammo conglomerates like ATK raise their rates then several brands get more expensive. It's these companies that produce both commercial and military ammunition in just a few centralized locations that have trouble meeting demands and start the rumors of a price increase.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 pm

It seems like I keep hearing that Lake City Arsenal produces virtually all the ammo for the military and that the other manufacturers are raising prices to compensate for increased material costs but also that they see it as an opportunity to increase their profit margins. Any truth to that, you think?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:27 pm

ATK manages many of the government ammunition plants, including Lake City Arsenal, along with many commercial manufacturers and munitions component suppliers.

http://www.atk.com/Customer_Solutions_A ... efault.asp

The rise in costs may be tied more into lack of competition in munitions production rather than a conspiracy among major ammo producers to raise prices. ATK is the sole source in some ammunition production. But then all we have to do is examine the current petroleum industry to see how this cartel justifies instantaneous price increases on every minor glitch in supplying product to consumer markets.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:11 am

Bullseye wrote:ATK manages many of the government ammunition plants, including Lake City Arsenal, along with many commercial manufacturers and munitions component suppliers.

http://www.atk.com/Customer_Solutions_A ... efault.asp

The rise in costs may be tied more into lack of competition in munitions production rather than a conspiracy among major ammo producers to raise prices. ATK is the sole source in some ammunition production. But then all we have to do is examine the current petroleum industry to see how this cartel justifies instantaneous price increases on every minor glitch in supplying product to consumer markets.

R,
Bullseye
+1 on the petro-bandits! They're even so blatant about it around here in Tulsa that they raise prices at the pump exactly the same amount on the same day!

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:43 am

Yeah, Bullseye! I think you're on to the real culprit.
Consolidation just stiffles competition. That and the new global participants demanding natural resources and goods we've been popped.
Demand's up, supply's the same or less and that means prices go up!
I installed a new switch (simple electrically run) for my compressor recently as an "amenity" for my gun work table. Holy schnikeys! Copper, brass and most other metals are off the charts.
When is the global economy supposed to enhance our lives...I'd like to mark it on my calendar. :(

SD

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:13 pm

Song Dawg wrote:When is the global economy supposed to enhance our lives...I'd like to mark it on my calendar. :(

SD
Song Dawg, let's not hold our breath for that one.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:20 pm

When that day comes, let's hope the calendar's still written in English and not Arabic, Cyrillic, or Han Chinese.

R,
Bullseye

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:01 pm

Darn them Hoarders!!! Went to three seperate stores in my area, the only ones that carry match ammo, and they were all out. Every store that I went to said that earlier in the day a guy came in and bought it all up. GRRRRR!!!! was going to shoot some groups this weekend, and only have a couple CASES of bulk, no Match. :(
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ammo Hoarders

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:59 pm

Saw a guy buy 10 cases of 22 ammo from a local gunshop the other day. Nearly wiped them out. Glad I was buying .45s ;-)

I almost always have a few cases of ammo on hand for such emergencies and try to keep it cycled out so fresh stock can replace it.

Just got done burning the last of my 1940s era .45 ball ammo a few weeks ago. Seems like it had lasted me for decades...oh wait... it did. My Ruger P90 just loves that stuff. Hope I can get a good deal on more of it.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

bearandoldman

Re: Ammo Hoarders

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:40 pm

arizona-hermit wrote:Saw a guy buy 10 cases of 22 ammo from a local gunshop the other day. Nearly wiped them out. Glad I was buying .45s ;-)

I almost always have a few cases of ammo on hand for such emergencies and try to keep it cycled out so fresh stock can replace it.

Just got done burning the last of my 1940s era .45 ball ammo a few weeks ago. Seems like it had lasted me for decades...oh wait... it did. My Ruger P90 just loves that stuff. Hope I can get a good deal on more of it.
I try to buy ahead iod the hoardestrs so I do not have to deal with them. Have been loading my own .45's though and got to get with it as I am down to less than a box.
Good to hear from you again Hermit as it has been a long time.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.