Your collective knowledge please...

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Your collective knowledge please...

Post by Gatmandu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi Gents,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm still shooting and I do look in here weekly to see what's happening.

The .22 ammo shortage seems to be easing somewhat so I'm back trying to hone my skills (although somewhat limited at best) at match shooting.

I have two .22 handguns, a S&W Model 617 and a Ruger, MKIII Competition. Both have Millet Red-Dot sights on them. Lately I've noticed the Millet sight becoming 'intermittent (on the MK.III)'. That meaning occasionally the dot disappears (usually at the worst time). Don't get me wrong, the Millet has worked just fine for 5 years and probably for over 20,000 rounds through the MK III.

Anyway, I would welcome any advice on what I should buy? It seems there is a lot of good choices out there. If I can get something better, I will.

I would also welcome your thoughts on using one of the 'reflex' type sights in this type application.

Thanks in advance,

Don
Last edited by Gatmandu on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know nothing.......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:53 am

When it counts, like competitive match shooting, I only rely on Ultradot. Other brands seem to loosen up their intensity knobs and that is what typically causes intermittent dot presentations.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:18 am

When was the last time you changed the battery? A low battery will cause it too.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:39 am

blue68f100 wrote:When was the last time you changed the battery? A low battery will cause it too.
Hi,

That was my original thought too, but it's not the battery. I changed it about a month ago. Thanks for your reply.

Don
I know nothing.......

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Bullseye wrote:When it counts, like competitive match shooting, I only rely on Ultradot. Other brands seem to loosen up their intensity knobs and that is what typically causes intermittent dot presentations.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks Bullseye,

I'm checking-out the Ultradot sites.

Another question; What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 30mm sites versus the 25mm sites. Thanks again,

Don
I know nothing.......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:56 am

A slightly wider field of view down range. This can assist with recovery of the target during recoil during sustained fire events.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 am

Bullseye wrote:When it counts, like competitive match shooting, I only rely on Ultradot. Other brands seem to loosen up their intensity knobs and that is what typically causes intermittent dot presentations.

R,
Bullseye
+1

I've been using UD's for well over 200,000 rounds, nearly 65,000 of those being 45's. I used Tasco's for the first year before discovering UD's. Now, as Bullseye put it, I only rely on UD. I'm currently using 8 of them on a variety of 22's and slide mounted 1911's. All I use is the 1" with the 4 min dot. I've tried the 30mm and match dot and always find myself back with the 1'' 4 min.

If you haven't tested yours for parallax, I'd highly suggest it. The main reason I got rid of my tasco's was over 5" of dot movement at 50 yards. I was getting shots way off my call. So I was testing ammo in my Ransom Rest and happened to move my head from side to side. I watched the dot move around on the target nearly 6". So a shot that was a called hard 10, but was shot with the dot hugging one side or the other, turns into a 7. Very frustrating. I was doubting my shooting, my ammo, my gun. I test every dot I get and have never seen an UD move more, than around in the x ring(about 1 1/2").

Just an FYI, always turn the rheostat in a clockwise direction. Even if you want to turn the intensity down 1 position. Things will loosen up when going counter clockwise on a regular basis.

Another thought, if your dot is intermittent, remove the battery and rub a regular pencil eraser over the contact points and the battery. It will clean them up and give you more consistent contact.

Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington