Self Defense today?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Self Defense today?

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 pm

As a CPL holder, and the owner of several hg's, I was wondering what the feelings are among other hg owners about the need of a SD hg today as opposed to recent years past? I, personally, feel a greater need to own a SD hg these days with the ongoing turmoil throughout our societies. I live in a comparatively decent subdivision, but there have been a couple incidents over the last year. One incident was a break-in in broad daylight where some valuables were stolen, the thief went right through the front door! Another incident happened just, where I couldn't get the details as it was a 'private matter'. I am always wary about what's going on, and even a little more wary nowadays, how about you?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Self Defense today?

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Hakaman wrote:As a CPL holder, and the owner of several hg's, I was wondering what the feelings are among other hg owners about the need of a SD hg today as opposed to recent years past? I, personally, feel a greater need to own a SD hg these days with the ongoing turmoil throughout our societies. I live in a comparatively decent subdivision, but there have been a couple incidents over the last year. One incident was a break-in in broad daylight where some valuables were stolen, the thief went right through the front door! Another incident happened just, where I couldn't get the details as it was a 'private matter'. I am always wary about what's going on, and even a little more wary nowadays, how about you?
always be wary and be smart, how do you think I got this old?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:55 pm

I think the need for SD firearm is much greater today than at anytime before.
It's been said before but "I can't run, can't fight, and I'm too darned old to take a whuppin'"

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:I think the need for SD firearm is much greater today than at anytime before.
It's been said before but "I can't run, can't fight, and I'm too darned old to take a whuppin'"
<y sentiments exactly, that is why I always carry at least one gun
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I got my permit and carry gun out of a sense of future need. I've had a permit going on six years. I've only carried a few times when it seemed like the smarter thing to do. I do get the impression from more recent news reports that my carrying could become more frequent.

There's a lot of mis-placed anger out there, and some people have no problem in expressing that anger in a violent way, on the nearest, most convenient, target.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 pm

I carry everyday and I live on the nice side of the mitten... of course that might also be a function of my profession. ..

As for the daytime break in, Haka, that's the best time to break in. When everyone should be gone to work/school and the bad guy won't encounter a sleeping good guy.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:01 pm

I carry every time I leave the house. Just watch the local news is all the reason to do so. There are nuts every where. Things have gotten worst over the years.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911