A matter of drop.... bullett drop.

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

A matter of drop.... bullett drop.

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 pm

yesterday I took advantage of some free time and a break in the week long rainy weather. I loaded up the 30 carbine, my savage 308, my savage mkii g (22lr) and a small pile of ammo and went to the 200m range.

first I sighted in the M1 carbine at 50 yards, then took a poke at the 200m 2'x2' steel plate.... bong! then hit with most of my next shots. :thumbs up: looked at the box of hornady Steel match ammo "200fps 12.7" drop at 200 yards" good to go

broke out the 308, checked zero at 50, 1.5" high. next at 100 1" high, 200m gong ...... BONG! :thumbs up:

next the 22lr using mini mags dead on at 50, 6" low at 100, stretched it out to the 200m gong.... nothin'. hold over a couple feet ... see the splash in the dirt a couple feet low.... few more shots I had the Kentucky windage (Kentucky Elevation?) down . aimed 6 feet high.... BONG an every shot after bong, bong, bong. :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

I haven't shot much past 100 with a 22 before, not sure why but I just haven't. I was suprised at the 6 feet of drop a 200m, I shouldn;t have been suprised but I was. and it was very satisfying to hear that bong a couple seconds after breaking the shot.

all in all a good afternoon on a beautiful fall day. It wasnt 75 and sunny like Haka's detroit but I'll take 45 and partly sunny.... :D
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:28 pm

haka lives in a weather world all his own. If I remember high school physic, the acceleration of the speed of gravity is 32 feet per seconE/per second. so every second your bullet is in the air it will drop 16 feet. Watched SOME GUY SHOOTING BLACK POWDER CARTRIGE SILHOUETTE, THE RAAMS AT 500 YARDS OR METERS, THEY SAID MID RANGE TRAJECTORY WAS AROUND 18 FEEET
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Sounds like you need a rest with a good elevation mechanism to get the .22 consistent. Change the mv of the bullet and your hold-over will change.

Haka is about right with temperature. It was close to that during my afternoon drive from Pine Grove, PA, to Richmond.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:00 pm

greener wrote:Sounds like you need a rest with a good elevation mechanism to get the .22 consistent. Change the mv of the bullet and your hold-over will change.

Haka is about right with temperature. It was close to that during my afternoon drive from Pine Grove, PA, to Richmond.
I didn't get around to trying it with the subsonics I had, seeng as they shot 4-6" lower at 50 than the minimags I'm betting the hold over would be 8'+.....

BAOM, 18 feet og midrange trajectory? thats getting close to artillery instead of riflery! any more it would be nearly a mortar shot !

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote:Sounds like you need a rest with a good elevation mechanism to get the .22 consistent. Change the mv of the bullet and your hold-over will change.

BAOM, 18 feet og midrange trajectory? thats getting close to artillery instead of riflery! any more it would be nearly a mortar shot !
They use a lot of 45-70. but their favorite is the 40-65, lower recoil andstill will take and knock over them 60 pound rams at 500
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:58 am

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:

They use a lot of 45-70. but their favorite is the 40-65, lower recoil andstill will take and knock over them 60 pound rams at 500

And what's wrong with artillery? Once you get above 45° the greater the angle, the less lineal distance the bullet travels (higher angle, closer target).

There is a video with a guy punching holes in plywood at 500 yards with a .22, but I think he was doing minute of 4'x4' sheet and hoping for good wind.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 am

You should have tried a 22 pistol and see what your windage would be. :wink: My 22 rifle is sighted in for 55 yrds which cover most all the tree rats. Ever now and again one will give me a 80 yrds open shot. Being that far way most cases they just jump and look up trying to figure where it's come from. Took me 2 shots to get the windage right the first time.

Now if there is cross wind it becomes a lot more challenging. Because the 22 is so light the wind will move it all over the place.

Sound like you had a fun day at the range. :wink:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

I was reading that 22lr at 200, behaves like 308 at 440 yards, similar wind drift, and drop. I'm not sure I buy that, but I can see the similarities looking at drop and windage charts.... ( I found that on the 6mm bench rest board, so they could be right).

I am no where steady enough with a pistol to get hits consistently at that distance, it would be fun to try though.... :? :?

As for artillery....... Image

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 pm

:thumbs up:

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:12 pm

I once did some shooting at 300 yards with a TC Contender. It was chambered in .357 magnum and had a 10" barrel.

The load was very hot, pushing a Sierra 180 grain semi-spitzer.

The target was a half-folded newspaper on a hillside. I think it was my third or fourth shot before I got the hold-over right. After that, it wasn't hard to hit at all. - I had a rock on the hillside picked out that I would put the cross-hairs on, in order to hit the newspaper below.

That was in fact the longest range that I have ever deliberately shot at anything.

It's hard to judge ( or remember ) how much hold-over I was using... I would guess at least a dozen feet or so, probably more.