Ruger LCR parts confusion

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ruger LCR parts confusion

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:05 pm

In Ruger's online manual, and the one that came with my LCR, the polymer "fire control housing" (grip frame!) is NOT marked with an asterisk for "Must be fitted at the factory". Both manuals are the latest update, including the LCR-22 now.

Just talked to Ruger Newport to get a price on it, and was told they do NOT sell the housing as it is a factory fitted part. I told her the manual does not show it as such, but no go.

I am a bit angry here. That was the ONLY reason I was willing to purchase an even partly plastic gun. The housing had no serial number on it, and the manual listed it as able to be bought. For cryin' out loud, it's an injection molded piece of plastic. Should need very little if any fitting.

I "Wrote the CEO" on Ruger's website and detailed the situation. I don't know if it will help, but I'm glad they have that feature. At this point I'm debating ditching it for a J-frame S&W, and I told him so. I am THAT negative toward plastic, especially with no spare.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Why would you ever need one or have any use for an extra?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Spare parts are all good, but this is bordering on irrational

Do you have any evidence for that part failing without warning?

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

If you could buy one, I'd bet it would be a third of the cost of the LCR. Is that where the serial number is?

Damage to that part of the LCR would be major damage to the revolver.

I'd think if that needed to be repaired, Ruger would Fix it for free.

I keep screws, springs, etc as spare parts. Major parts I'll order or send the gun back to the manufacturer.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm with the majority on this one. ruger has several parts that are factory fit only, GP100 cylindars for example. they tend to be major parts and I do not find this to be a big deal. I'm not that worried about the spare parts status of my guns, I figure if one breaks I have a few others to use until I fix it.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:26 pm

This is an injection molded part without the serial number. That's on the metal frame in Ruger's usual spot. This housing is a single piece of plastic, except I found out that it comes with the the safety lock installed on it.

Ruger can probably make hundreds of these in an hour, for a very few dollars worth of polymer. It likely takes very little if any fitting.

I have seen or know of two broken LCP trigger guards. I've heard of a cracked LCR housing. Not sure how the damages occured, but this polymer stuff is not all that sturdy. I can't count the damage I'm aware of in Glocks.

I stock up on parts that I consider essential, like springs, screws that can drop out or get buggered up, and small pins that are easily lost. That way I can keep my gun, in this case my one and only carry gun, up and running without a two week turnaround at Ruger.

During which I'd be unarmed. I'm not like some other folks who have a safe with a rack full of handguns suited for carry. When I ditched the Bobcats and bought this LCR, that was it.

My main beef is that the LCR came out in 2009. There are three years worth of manuals out there that show the housing not being a factory only part. I don't see why it should be, anyway. And Ruger has sold me lots of factory only parts in the past.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 pm

I have not seen a cracked Glock frame, other than from a Glock Kaboom. now I am not a Glock fan, but have carried one for about 10 years and have never seen a cracked frame on gen 2-3-or 4 glocks.

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:44 am

I'm with the other on this one. I don't consider that part as a one needed or that will likely ever fail. Unless your planning on doing drop test on the grip for durability. Glock has been make polymer frame guns for decades without any problems. If this was the case they would not be in service. Even though I don't like polymer frame guns (old school, guns should be made of metal), Glock's have never felt right in my hand. Even though I shoot them OK.

There are very little if any parts on a revolver that is required to have for normal maintenance. If you find your self there in a couple of decades you will more than likely have another carry gun by then.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:55 am

blue68f100 wrote:I'm with the other on this one. I don't consider that part as a one needed or that will likely ever fail. Unless your planning on doing drop test on the grip for durability. Glock has been make polymer frame guns for decades without any problems. If this was the case they would not be in service. Even though I don't like polymer frame guns (old school, guns should be made of metal), Glock's have never felt right in my hand. Even though I shoot them OK.

There are very little if any parts on a revolver that is required to have for normal maintenance. If you find your self there in a couple of decades you will more than likely have another carry gun by then.
Youspeak a lot of tuthr there blue. Besides, you should always have a spare gun someplace or do as most LRO's do and carry a backup gun.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:01 am

In further looking, I think Ruger fouled up in the LCR manual. As being factory fit, they only mark the Pawl, Firing Pin Bushing, and Ejector. Nothing else, not even the barrel or cylinder. That makes no sense, especially since they've had three years to catch it?

I should have elaborated on Glock. I've heard of one crack, something about a bad malfunction twisting the frame. Just know some LEOs and security guys with them, the polymer finish gets ragged in time.

No polymer is good against abrasion. Age and heat gradually make them less flexible, too. A car tire is a good example. You wouldn't want a set of tires the dealer had on the shelf for twenty years.

At some point in the future, old polymer guns are going to fail and hurt people. I don't think even the engineers or chemists know when, it's too new.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm

We just retired our gen 3 glocks (22c and 23c) last year last fall and went to the gen 4 non ported ones, my old 22c had about 14 years of service in 100 degree to -20 degree weather wet and dry, other than the grip surface smoothing out with wear and the finish of the slide showing holster wear its still good to go. I don't argue that its no all steel gun that'll last forever but I have yet to see one wore out.

conversely my 20 year old former duty pistol sig p226 9mm shows about the same wear as the glock and that steel with aluminum frame i believe.

for the most part I would prefer the Sig just on feel for me over the glock. but the glock has grown on me over the years.

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:06 pm

ruger22 wrote:
No polymer is good against abrasion. Age and heat gradually make them less flexible, too. A car tire is a good example. You wouldn't want a set of tires the dealer had on the shelf for twenty years.

At some point in the future, old polymer guns are going to fail and hurt people. I don't think even the engineers or chemists know when, it's too new.
Never heard of polymer tires, unless ,modern rubber is considered a polymer compound. Also have a Nylon 66 that has very little metal in it other than the barrel and the receiver cover and it still functions welll and accurately and still looks good.
Got a P3AT KelTec, that I carry as a backup, it is no beauty but it gets the job done and is faster than a reload. Old Motor City LEO, told me the fastest reload is a second gun, just drop the first and get on with the job.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:42 am

Both my metal and tupperware guns are going to be around long after I'm a distant memory if they are not severely abused. My 442 (aluminum) travels in a pocket holster protected from the other junk in my pocket. It has a couple dings and scratches.

Everyone has his own comfort level with replacement parts and supplies. Not sure I'd buy anything. I thought about a hammer spring. I have a "spare" hammer spring for my 442 only because I replaced the original with a wolf spring. I have two complete recoil springs and guide rods for my 22A because I launched the originals into the depths of my work bench. Spares depend on how much you are going to shoot it and what you think will wear out.

I can see Ruger not selling frame parts to retail customers because of liability and customer complaints in forums about ill-fitting parts. Some of the things the manufacturers are reluctant to sell surprise me. A shooting acquaintance couldn't get a trigger return spring for an 850 from Taurus. What he could get was free shipping and free repairs including completely refurbishing the revolver. He carried this revolver in his pocket with no holster and did home construction/repair. He fired 200-300 rounds per week from the gun. It looked like it had been through a couple wars and came back like new. He had to go to his 9mm while the 850 was being refurbished. He hated it, but was pleased with the results.

Ruger has been pretty good about fixing their guns.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:53 am

greener wrote:Both my metal and tupperware guns are going to be around long after I'm a distant memory if they are not severely abused. My 442 (aluminum) travels in a pocket holster protected from the other junk in my pocket. It has a couple dings and scratches.

Everyone has his own comfort level with replacement parts and supplies. Not sure I'd buy anything.
Sounds pretty much like mine, never leave the house without it or one of it's friends. You should see the OD finish on my SA Micro, that was my carry for many years, until old age told me to get a lighter gun. As far as parts I have an LGS handy and trustful.