HP ammo a new profit gimmick?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

HP ammo a new profit gimmick?

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:13 am

In looking over the ammo racks for my new toy, I've noticed next to no HP in .38 Special, unless you go to the SD ammo section and pay a premium price, some are over a dollar a round. I just feel this is the ammo companies' new "revenue enhancer".

Gander had nothing but JHP and plain lead round nose, unless you went to the "SD" rack. I think I saw one box of Winchester HP at Sportsman's Warehouse priced similar to the RN ammo.

I don't remember that in years past. There was a good bit of HP .38 on the racks, costing little if any extra over plain round nose.

I need to settle on a good cheap "range round", and I don't think $1 a round is necessary for carry, either. I've always been happy with Federal ammo, so they'll get the hardest look when I'm able to buy a supply.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Buy cheap practice ammo and good HD ammo. I don't shoot my HD ammo for practice. I only function test in my auto to confirm I don't have any feeding problems. With a revolver no need to test unless your just testing POA vs POI.

I use HD Critical Defense ammo mainly because TX has a law making your responsible for any thing it hits. So I rather it stop in my target than hit a innocent bystander behind them. The CD has limited penetration when compared to LE ammo.

You can get the HST in 50 round boxes. This is packaging used for LE.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: HP ammo a new profit gimmick?

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm

ruger22 wrote:
I need to settle on a good cheap "range round", and I don't think $1 a round is necessary for carry, either. I've always been happy with Federal ammo, so they'll get the hardest look when I'm able to buy a supply.
For a range round
Winchester white box or CCI Blazer in ..38 Special is good, or handload with lead bullets as I do for my J frame, Blackhawk and 1894C.
I use .38Sp+P for s/d and a buck or so a round will still be less costly than my life, if I have to use them.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 pm

I have commercial +P's for my 442. My .357's are loaded with my handloads as is my .380. I just loaded some 9mm JHP's. Will test them this weekend. If they work, I'll use them. I don't think I'll have any more failures with my handloads than with commercial loads and and I know where the bullets are going.

If I didn't reload, I'd use the lowest cost for range and the best I could buy for SD.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:57 pm

greener wrote:I have commercial +P's for my 442. My .357's are loaded with my handloads as is my .380. I just loaded some 9mm JHP's. Will test them this weekend. If they work, I'll use them. I don't think I'll have any more failures with my handloads than with commercial loads and and I know where the bullets are going.

If I didn't reload, I'd use the lowest cost for range and the best I could buy for SD.
The same here my friend, my butt demands the best. Besides I did not get this old by being totally stupid?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.