How's your weather?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

How's your weather?

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Believe it or not, this years winter in Michigan (Detroit area) has been one the
best that I can remember. Mild temps, sunshine, and hardly any snow. I would
take this every year is I had the choice. How's your shooting weather?

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Only 70 here. SWMBO wants a bug/weed killing freeze. I'm thinking about fishing.

bgreene went swimming in Jan.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 am

In Texas, we just decided to skip winter. I've turned the AC on a few times in the past couple weeks.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 am

there are green growing things everywhere

my job is partially an outdoor job, I've been skipping the jacket for the outdoor tour this week ... so long as I'm moving I'm fine

===

seriously strange

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:36 am

Been getting a few range sessions in just after noon with my regular shooting bud,Even had to buy a new gun, another rimfire but it shoots tiny bullets.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 am

It's been in the low 70's the last couple of days. But the weather persons tell us it about to cool off to normal. Highs in the 50's.....

Last weeks rain (5" here) did raise the lakes up some in this area. Need another soaking like we got last weeks to finish filling the lakes. When you have a lake that is 14' low, no ramps in the water, used for our water supply, not good. It did come up 6' last week, which is good but still need more. We are in Stage 3 watering restrictions, which means we can only water outside 2 times a month. But east of us they are still in extreme drought conditions. They got very little rain last week.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Was 62 yesterday, and again today. Back to 50 the next few days though. Can't get its timing right. The nicer dry weather is hitting on work days, Weekends are all cooler and/or wet, so no can go shooting..... :cry:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Yup went through the ice a couple weeks ago , got thrown from a hovercraft,there was only 2" there is usually a foot of ice this time of year.. not really good for ice fishing or ice diving...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:58 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Been getting a few range sessions in just after noon with my regular shooting bud,Even had to buy a new gun, another rimfire but it shoots tiny bullets.
17HMR or HM2 ?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:49 pm

17HMR or HM2?
17HMR, I think the Mach II is going the way of the dodo bird. The only company that even builds one anymore is Savage, I believe 2 models.
Got me a Savage 93#17GL-V, I think? Accutrigger, wood stock left hand bolt action and a heave 21 inch barrel, The gun seems to shoot fine but may need a little tweaking as the action screw loosened and it started to wander after 3 roulds, tightened them and shot it today. Not as good as the other day but today it was only mid 30's and that may have had an effect on the operator, or the gun may like to shoot with the screws barely tightened, Here are 2, 5 shot groups from the 31st, left is 21 to 25 and right 26 to 30.
Was shooting the Hornady 20 grain XTP, may try the 17 graain VMa.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Nice shootin'

Bolt guns don't do anything for me, but it appears that one is doing something good for you.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Looking good with the mini-bullets, Oldman

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:42 am

I have had a Savage 93/17hmr for a year or so, and it has ended up being my "can't miss" varminter. A great firearm that handles and shoots like a dream.

One thing about mine irritated me though, I do not know if it is the same on yours.

Tightening the front action screw would dimple the floorplate, distorting it a little.

I took the floorplate off and found that the front edge was held up flush with the stock by a little tit of wood near the front edge. When you tighten the front action screw, there was uneven pressure upon the floorplate, so it dimpled.

My fix was to use a small wood chisel to remove the little tit of wood, and I dug up a washer of the proper thickness and hole size to fit the front action screw closely.

The thickness of the washer should allow you to tighten down the action screw while floorplate ends up flush with the stock. Some of the washer I found had to be ground away to clear the magazine box, as can be seen in the following image. ( Click to see it full-size. )

A drop or two of super glue keeps the washer from getting lost when I disassemble the firearm, it ends up being a permanent part of the stock. - No more dimples!

Congratulations on your new tack-driver. - The Savage 93/17's are phenomenal shooters.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:40 am

Charles, don't see any dimpling but will take a closer look some other day. Had the action out as the screws had loosened and wanted to see how the trigger was adjusted, set as light as possible. Got some 17 grain loads to try in it later this afternoon.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:20 pm

weather:

Took a spin over to the CMP today, tossed my light jacket into the backseat of the car (bike is in storage, otherwise I would have put the new saddlebags on and rode to the CMP)

Looked up at the sky and decided that there really wasn't an excuse to not change the intake filters on the wife's car, stood outside and did that in my short sleeved shirt and was starting to get chilly by the end

never did put that jacket on