That "precision mechanism" smell

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

That "precision mechanism" smell

Post by charlesb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:51 pm

I knew that there was something missing from my childhood memories and associations about firearms for years and years, but I didn't know what it was.

When I cleaned a gun and put it away, there was always something missing, something that was not quite right.

I was never quite satisfied.

Then my wife asked me to fix a door latch that needed a drop of oil. In the tool shed, there was an old can of 3-In-One oil, and when I smelled it, I suddenly knew what I had been missing so badly.

This was the smell from my childhood that I associate with fine mechanisms such as fishing reels, firearms, etc.. - That distinctive, metallic odor of 3-In-One oil.

As an experiment, I wiped down a Mauser that didn't really need it, just to experience the smell. It brought back some really great memories of watching my uncle clean his treasured Remington 1100, back when I wasn't old enough for school yet.

Of all things! 3-In One oil.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 pm

It does have that distinctive smell!

R,
Bullseye

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:28 pm

charlesb, "odors" also are big players when it comes to childhood memories for me as well. I often used 3 in 1 oil on various projects growing up and remember simpler times whenever I get whiff. Along those
same lines, one of my most favorite was the smell in the air when firing my grandfather's Marlin model 80. I still have the gun, but haven't shot it in 15 years or more.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:23 pm

We used nothing but kerosene, Hoppes, and 3in1 oil for many years. Used old cotton or flannel shirts cut up for patches. :)