home defense slugs?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

M60FMJ

home defense slugs?

Post by M60FMJ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 pm

i was watching a clip the other day on home defense slugs it has the gunpowder of ur average squirrel shell but a 1 1/2 ounce pellet shaped slug. this makes no sense to me i know i understand the recoil but...... i would rather have 00 buckshot for home defense cause 9 times outta 10 its gonna be dark and u cant see ur target well might as well have 00. its likes shooting 15 45. bullets at ur target. plz if u know any other affordable home defense rounds comment

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:49 am

I run buckshot in my HD shotgun--4 in the magazine and 3 more in the elastic loops on the stock. I do have 2 standard slugs easily identifiable in the stock loops for the possibility of barrier penetration, etc. In my application on the shotgun, I believe the slug goes completely against everything that makes the shotgun so effective as an HD weapon.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 am

I've seen door breaching ammo advertised that's designed to take off door hinges. It's intended for military and LE use. IIRC, it's a slug made of compressed powdered metal, disintegrates when it hits, transferring all the energy to the target. Sounds like it would be a very vicious round for SD.

These look pretty wild, too. High-tech expanding slugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... xEPUnZHr5M
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:51 pm

As far as affordable goes, the Remington OO buck (12 gauge) at Wally World can't be beat. Experts such as Mas Ayoob often recommend that load and brand (2 3/4") for home defense. Mine is loaded with it now and have several more boxes in reserve.

Don't get caught up in specialized home defense/self defense loads. They are often much more expensive and much less proven "on the streets". Hundreds of thousands of deer, etc. have lost their lives to the standard stuff. I would have to guess that human lives numbering somewhere in the thousands have as well. Ditto for slugs, but again, they are not nearly as effective as the "buck" (unless you aim very carefully).

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: home defense slugs?

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:35 am

M60FMJ wrote:i was watching a clip the other day on home defense slugs it has the gunpowder of ur average squrril shell but a 1 1/2 ounce pellet shaped slug. this makes no sense to me i know i understand the recoil but...... i wud rather have 00 buckshot for home defense cause 9 times outta 10 its gonna be dark and u cant see ur target well might as well have 00. its likes shooting 15 45. bullets at ur target. plz if u know any other affordable home defense rounds comment
More like 9 .32 cal round balls......

The aquilla mini-shells are a nice idea... 1 3/4" 12 gauge slugs or buck, reduced recoil and more rounds.......
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:58 pm

I like alternating #4 buck and slugs.

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:19 pm

actually greena,no offense i used 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot it has 15 rounds, and has knockdown power often compared to a 45.
i agree on the slugs tho they defeat the purpose of a hd gun cuase if u want a good hd gun u got to think "outside the box" what wudnt happen during a breakin might actually happen and u want something that spreads has excellent knockdown power*for the crackheads out there* and reliable. i dont know how many times i see people using a rifle like a 30-06 as a hd go to weapon and i think to myself that wudnt do any good in the dark u wudnt be able to see the sights.thats why on my maverick 88 i put a flourescent sulg sight on my rib of my shotgun and removed the front and rear sights.u dont technichally have to be a marksman with a shotgun just got to see were ur aiming at is all
dropped on request 1/7/12

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 pm

you know, I can barely read that

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:44 pm

I will stick with my Mico, V10 or J frame, depending what part of the house I am in at the time.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 am

Umm.... Unless your house is has rooms more than 15 yards (45 feet) long you won't get any kind of spread, and with the 3" shells you lose capacity in the magazine tube with very little gain other than recoil. If that's what you like go for it but you may be a bit misguided.

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Ideal shotgun for home defense is the old model 12 Winchester, before the trigger block. 6 in thee tube and one in the chamber, pull the trigger, hold it and keep on shucking. Damn near as fast as a full auto.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 pm

You could do that with the older ithaca 37's too, right?

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:You could do that with the older ithaca 37's too, right?
I believe so, but not sure if the magazine capacity was as great as the old 12.Had a model 90 Winchester in .22 short many years ago and they would do the same with like 20 or so rounds a real fun shooter.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 pm

that would be fun.....

-John Wayne

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:41 pm

my maverick 88 holds 6 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot, recoil is not bad and spread is alright.its not like im going to war but i am prepared. i shuck out rounds as fast as any other shotgun can and i like 3 inch just for the 15 pellets
but ye i get all this info from hunting and target practice so its reliable =]
dropped on request 1/7/12