Retired Vet Shot At Gun Range

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Retired Vet Shot At Gun Range

Post by KAZ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:39 pm

In a robbery at the Topper Gun Range (Oklahoma) a 73 year old shooter was shot multiple times as he prepared to leave the range. He is expected to recover. Four guns and a tool box were stolen. Can't be to careful!

Mitchell Black Lightning .22 caliber magnum rifle serial # MBL02072

Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol Model SW-9UE serial # RBD7189

Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol Model 5940 serial # TC58060

Ruger mini-30 7.62 caliber serial # 581-58511

Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call the Wagoner County Sheriff's Department at 918-485-3124 or the OSBI at 800-522-8017.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Hopefully they will track down those guns quickly and bring the perpetrators to justice.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

When I joined the local gun club for range access, I was told that it is good form to wear a sidearm on the range, particularly while checking or replacing rifle targets. - Most especially when there are no other shooters present.

It's kind of isolated, out in the brush a little.

I didn't think much about it at the time, but later on when I ended up being the only person there, I did feel better - but not much - about walking 100 yards away from my rifles and ammo, and back.

So now I wear my K-38 at the range, unless my .40 caliber Astra makes the trip.

The iron I haul out there on a typical shooting session is worth more than I ought to say, so I won't. I usually try out several rifles on each trip, and a couple of handguns too.

I hate to hear about incidents like the one described, but at the same time, it's good to get a heads up about that kind of thing. It's definitely something to look out for, in hard times.

Same reason I don't leave heavy steel farm implements etc. out in the open anymore, but lock them up instead. People are out to steal all kinds of things that they didn't used to, so much.

You may not think that something that you own is worth shooting somebody over - but the other fellow might hold an entirely different opinion on the matter. When things get tough, its amazing what folks will shoot each other, over.

So watch your stuff, but remember that job #1 is to watch out for yourself.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I really don't know how someone can justify shooting a 73 year old man and stealing his belongings. It's hard to imagine ever reaching a point in life where doing such a thing would ever even become a thought.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:44 pm

It's real shame when when persons pick on the elderly.

I hope they catch them and throw away the key.

I never had like the idea of leaving my guns on a bench and walk 100yds off to check a target. The outdoor range I used years back had a range officer to control the range. This prevented persons from just walking up and taking something. No one was allowed near the benches during a sease fire.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

blue68f100 wrote:It's real shame when when persons pick on the elderly.

I hope they catch them and throw away the key.
If they pick on the wrong old person it could be hazardous to their health.

Maybe the old towns in the west had the right idea Get a rope and where is there a good stout tree?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:01 pm

piasashooter wrote:I really don't know how someone can justify shooting a 73 year old man and stealing his belongings. It's hard to imagine ever reaching a point in life where doing such a thing would ever even become a thought.

Without knowing details of the story, I'd be willing to bet they are white trash, meth heads. That's exactly who you'd run into at the public, outdoor range 40 minutes from my place. It's located on a Wildlife Management Area and you need a permit to use it, but there is no money to pay a state employee (or game warden) to hang around to check permits or security.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:49 pm

More of the NEWS 6 story

WAGONER, Oklahoma - The Wagoner County Sheriff's Department is investigating a shooting of 73-year-old retired veteran at a gun range near Wagoner. It happened around 7:30 Thursday morning.

The victim, Kenneth Payne, was shot multiple times and taken to a Tulsa hospital. Sheriff Bob Colbert said he is expected to survive his injuries.

The Wagoner County Sheriff says it appears Payne was leaving Toppers Gun range and walking back to his truck when someone shot him multiple times in the head.

Payne was seriously wounded but managed to grab his cell phone and call his family for help. His family called 911 and alerted authorities.

Authorities say four guns were taken as well as a portable tool chest. Colbert said no money was taken during the robbery.

"We got a 73-year-old veteran that was shot, left for dead. He'd served his country and basically, somebody tried to snuff this guy out. It's terrible," Sheriff Colbert said.

Sheriff Colbert says Payne is an avid gun enthusiast and practices at the range every day. Payne retired from the Air Force and lived only a few miles away.

The Sheriff is asking the public for any information regarding vehicles or anything that might have been seen during the timeline. OSBI is also investigating the incident.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 am

I still say Get a rope!!!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 pm

A daily trip to the range means this was no coincidence that man was observed and targeted by someone who intended to rob him of his weapons. Not the first time this has happened around public shooting ranges. There are quite a few instances of robberies at these places by individuals seeking firearms. Mostly when the shooters have expended all their carried ammunition on target practice or in-transit to and from their vehicles.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:06 am

That sounds just like what happened. The shooter must have been armed with a small caliber weapon as this gentleman so far has survived several shots to his head. Now, the robber has some serious fire power. Regards

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 pm

well i dont have to worry about things like that,i live out in the middle of nowhere so i can shoot all day with no prob. a guy that old shud have some1 always with him there just as a freindly gesture i hope the guy who did it gets his knees broke.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 am

M60FMJ wrote:well i dont have to worry about things like that,i live out in the middle of nowhere so i can shoot all day with no prob. a guy that old shud have some1 always with him there just as a freindly gesture i hope the guy who did it gets his knees broke.
That guy was not THAT OLD, how old is old? got a few years on him and the only constant companion I have is my "J" or my <icro or both. Be kinfd to lod people as it could be hazardous to your health.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 am

M60FMJ wrote:well i dont have to worry about things like that,i live out in the middle of nowhere so i can shoot all day with no prob. a guy that old shud have some1 always with him there just as a freindly gesture i hope the guy who did it gets his knees broke.
you're in the middle of nowhere
you're conducting a noisy and visible activity that announces the presence of high-value and easy-to-sell portable items

I don't think you're as safe as you're picturing - in fact, you might be just waiting for the neighbor's "down on his luck" nephew to come visit

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:29 pm

After reading all these posts, I can't help but think, I would be pretty damn scared to rob someone at a shooting range. Even if no one else was there but the person you intend to rob, anyone could show up anytime. It crosses my mind that something like this could happen at my local range. The range I shoot at has no employees, there is a combination lock on the door, and it is open 24/7. Anything can happen, but pretty much all the members at my club are league shooters, or friends of them, we don't advertize at all, so most of the new members are brought in by current members.