Trigger pull weight/ Bullseye shooting

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Trigger pull weight/ Bullseye shooting

Post by piasashooter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:39 pm

I have been wondering about the trigger pull weight between the .22, and .45 for Bullseye shooting. The minimum for the .22 is 2lbs, and 3.5lbs for the .45. I was wondering if anyone uses a 3.5lb trigger pull in both guns. Or just what weight trigger your .22 has.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:54 am

Generally this is not a good idea even though it seems logical to have pistols synchronized for trigger pull weight. However, .22 and Centerfire pistols are not equal in overall weight and recoil control which is one reason for the pull weight differences. To be clear a .45 caliber pistol can compete in two bullseye categories and the minimum trigger pull weights are different under Conventional Pistol Rules. A Centerfire pistol has a 3.5 lb pull weight but a .45 Service pistol has a 4 lb limit. Within these two categories and competing in a three gun (2700) match having equalivent pull weights can be a desireable outcome for a 1911 style pistol.

The .22 is a differnent animal because a heavier trigger pull can cause greater angular errors due to the characteristically lighter weight of these pistols. Being too aggressive on a heavier trigger, combined with the lighter overall weight, can cause shots to vary widely on a target face. Not to mention overtravel on a heavier trigger with a light weight can impart greater movement a the trigger stops at the frame. Once one gets used to the different pull weights average scores will be very close between the larger and smaller caliber pistols. It just takes practice.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:16 pm

It seems most people have more trouble with the .45 than the .22. I guess it is more an issue of the greater recoil, than the trigger weight. I haven't started shooting any 1800 or 2700 matches yet, but would like to at some point.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 am

That's because folks tend to think "bigger boom" and they start recoil control, which should really be recoil recovery, too soon before the bullet departs the barrel. Plus, the larger recoil of the .45 is great at hiding errors before the pistol fires like snapping the trigger in sustained fire stages.

R,
Bullseye