Camper, Survival kit...Putting it all together

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Camper, Survival kit...Putting it all together

Post by Jack D » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't consider myself a "survivalist", but I do believe in being prepared for... whatever. We have a small motorhome that we use for a camper, but is to double as a survival shelter when the need arises. I keep it full of gas, propane and water for immediate evacuation. I needed a relatively small gun kit setup for my camper. I've been working toward that end and just got it all together. This is what it looks like.

A UTG Covert 34" soft case including a shortened H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Mag. with three sighting systems (laser, red dot and scout scope). A Ruger SP101, 357 Mag. with laser grip. Two boxes of .357 ammo, small tool box that holds allen wrenches and spare batteries. A screwdriver set. A good compass. A Garmin GPS. A knife. A rifle/psitol cleaning kit. And a speed loader for the Ruger. I still have room to spare and will add useful items as they come to mind. Of course, time permitting, I will also grab my Two Ruger .22's (a 10/22 and .22/45) with lots of ammo.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Looks good. Though if I were you, id consider putting a sling on the rifle and including a holster for the revolver (you may have a holster near the top right of the middle pic, but I couldn't tell for sure).

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Georgezilla wrote:Looks good. Though if I were you, id consider putting a sling on the rifle and including a holster for the revolver (you may have a holster near the top right of the middle pic, but I couldn't tell for sure).
Yes, there is a holster. And I do have a sling for the rifle. Just forgot to put it in. Thanks for jarring my memory.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 am

I 'll recommend any likely needed, or easy to lose in cleaning, spare parts for the guns; and of course any tools needed to install them.

We hope any sort of survival situation will never happen, or at least if it did, would be short term. A longer time might see a need for a recoil spring, extractor, or other part.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:04 pm

It's difficult to imagiine what kind(s) of scenario would require survival skills. Here, in the PNW, natural disasters are something I have never seen. Mt. St. Helens kicked up a fuss back in the 80's, but still didn't affect that many people. Wild weather is rare here. All out war might be a possibility. A total breakdown of society is possible, but not likely. Wild fire is a real possibility. We live in the forest. But that might require evacuation....not particularly a survival situation. The most likely situation would be an earthquake. We are long past due for one and it is expected to be a 9+ when it happens. The PNW is not prepared for earthquakes. When it happens (and it will), it will rival the recent one in Japan. If we survive it......then survival skills and tools will be called upon. It will likely be in the form of subsistance hunting and perhaps protecting what you have.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm kind of leaning toward the thought that the PNW will more likely experience another volcanic eruption from one of the other Cascade subduction zone volcanos. Earthquakes are also part of that tectonic process but Lahars are a great threat too. A bug out kit in those circumstances seems like a pretty heads-up idea to me.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Bullseye wrote:I'm kind of leaning toward the thought that the PNW will more likely experience another volcanic eruption from one of the other Cascade subduction zone volcanos. Earthquakes are also part of that tectonic process but Lahars are a great threat too. A bug out kit in those circumstances seems like a pretty heads-up idea to me.

R,
Bullseye
Some areas are vulnerable to volcanic action. Seattle/Tacoma area, even Portland/Vancouver, come to mind. I'm in the coast range...pretty far from any volcanoes, but about half way between the subduction fault off the coast and the Cascade volcanoes. A lahar is remote for me, but one could take out the cities in the area (Eugene, Springfield). That would make supplies hard to find. An earthquake in that fault off the coast would take out all of the coastal cities (assuming Tsunami is part of the action). An earthquake of the size they expect would also take out many of the dams upstream of those cities. Not a pretty scenario.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 am

Agreed, I wasn't aware your proximity to the coast. A Tsunami is a realistic possibility with an earthquake off shore with all those plate boundaries in your area. I got to ride the Loma Prieta earthquake back in '89' and it was an eye opener for me. Having experienced many earthquakes in the bay area over the years they didn't concern me much but that one really caught my attention. I was actually near the shore when it struck and a tsunami never even crossed my mind at the time. I witnessed three sixty foot high sand dunes disappear into the Pacific Ocean via liquefaction from the tremors. Had a tsunami occurred things would definitely turned out differently for me.

R,
Bullseye