Ammo instead of Gold?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ammo instead of Gold?

Post by Coach1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 am

With Gold prices soaring above $1,700 an ounce, many are looking to either buy on the hope it will keep going up, hold what they have for the same reason or seling their old / broken gold bits to cash-out while the price is high.

Well I don't have any gold and not the cash to start buy some... But I have noticed that ammo in my area is going up . For example, Walmart used to sell a 50 rnd box of Federal 9mm 115 gr FMJ "Champion" for $10.47. In the last month it is now $12.97 a box. Other similar brands and calibers all seem to be Up. The TulAmmo 9MM (Russian steel-cased) has remained at the same price point.

Perhaps brass costs are up? transportation costs up?

... y'all seeing the same price creep for ammo?
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 am

Retail ammo has been on the rise since the rush in 2008 and the presidential elections. Today's increases are likely tied to the high fuel rates, similar coincidentally to the summer of 2008.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

Anything that has to be refined or shipped is going up faster than the norm. Energy cost has the most influence on the price hikes. Most all metals have gone up almost the same percentage. China is buying all the resources they can get. They know that supplies will only get more expensive and less available as we consume them. My financial adviser has predicted this back in Dec. I ordered my stock for 2012-13 in Dec and Jan when my suppliers were running sales. One of the reasons I reload. I try to buy supplies in bulk and stay a min of 1 year ahead of what I shoot. Currently I have built up to a 2+yr supply of 9mm and have been trying to build up my supply of 45acp. My reload cost for 9mm is around $11/100, with 45acp $18/100. My LNL-AP paid for it self in 1 yr, 5000 rounds. I've had it now for over 3yrs and way ahead of the game. I add the brass feeder several years ago which cost another 3000 rounds to pay for it. But I shoot on a ave of 5k 9mm per yr. My shooting partner thought that was a lot till I told him he shoots more than I do. So he started figuring what he was shooing in a month. Low and behold he found out he actually shot more that me. So he bought the same setup as mine w/o the brass feeder so now he's rolling his own. Up front cost is high because you have to buy the equipment + supplies (in bulk). Now we combine our orders to save on hazmat fees.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 am

I'm better off cost-wise, being all rimfire, but I watch pennies, too. Rimfire isn't doing so bad. The local Gander and a LGS both had Federal 525 round packs on sale for $14.99 recently. The LGS also had Blazer packs for $13.99. Most all the bulk packs are normally about $22 now.

I built up to 20k rounds during the "panic", and I've maintained it, replacing what I shoot. A good bit of mine is Wally World Federal 550 boxes from when they were $14.47. They're $18.97 now. I only do about 4k rounds a year, so I can hold out a good while on my stash if need be.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

No Gold I guess

Post by Coach1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:32 pm

I know some of you recall when .22 rounds were 1 cent each.. I may have been around then, too, but I only started shooting in the lat few years... an old guy.. late to the game.

So, I see the benefits of reloading. I am just there as yet. I will have to adjust to the increasing costs until it gets really painful.

I am somewhat reassured that no one has yet blamed the increases on the latest "scare" - Real or imagined.

I get emails about the anti-gun nuts trying to ban lead bullets again... And maybe with a fear of that succeeding.. demand is soaring again for lead pointed cartridges.

In the meantime, I'll keep searching for ammo deals as best I can.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones