bullseye 1911 purchase

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

bullseye 1911 purchase

Post by piasashooter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:50 pm

One of the members at my local club has a wad gun for sale, I have only shot .22 so far but want to shoot some 1800 and 2700. The gun is a Kimber custom ii stainless, with an Essex slide that has been fitted to the frame. I don't recall what brand barrel it had but he did say he had 550$ into the Essex upper, and it has a 3.5# trigger. All the work was done by a gunsmith that shoots in the club league and is well respected by a lot of shooters in the league that have had guns built by him. Also the factory Kimber upper is included in the deal. He said he would sell it to me for 1000$. It sounds like a good deal to me but I don't know much about 1911's or aftermarket components for them. Does this sound like a good buy?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Sounds fair based on your information. The true test is what kind of group it holds and reliable cycling of wadcutter ammunition.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 pm

He said at 25 yards shooting off sandbags it would shoot one hole, I don't know if that means through the same hole or one big hole. I know him pretty well and all his other gun seem to be of high quality so I assume this one would perform as well. Do you have any opinions on an Essex slide, like I said I am kind of new to 1911's and part suppliers for them. I have read mixed reviews of Essex slides and frames, some say they were pleased and would buy again, and some said they required a lot of fitting. He said I could barrow the gun and shoot it, he said he would give me a few hundred rounds of the reloads he shoots with it, so I guess I will see how I shoot it.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm

greener has a built up gun with an essex slide and it shoots quite well.... at least it did before he started to "fix" it :P

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 am

Essex 1911 components are know for their affordable price which makes them popular with folks building 1911 pistols on a budget. Their manufacturing is in the old style and tolerances often vary, this means lots of custom fitting especially with their frames. I reject more of these than any other manufacturer for being out of spec. I also have to say that the Essex components I did use ended up making some fine pistols. If the work's done right, it is capable of shooting one-ragged hole. I also have a match pistol I built on an Essex frame in my personal collection.

I'd take up his offer to try it out, and if it shoots well for you then it's a very fair deal.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 am

Proof is in the pudding as grandma always said. The price is not out of line if it shoots well for you. He's willing to give you some rounds to try it out and the gunsmith who put it all together is in the club. I think from what you have said they are just trying to get you to join them at a fair price for the pistol. Good luck. :)

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:46 pm

My hardball guns is build on an Essex frame with a National Match slide and Kart barrel. It got me to Distinguished Expert in 4 EIC matches. I've been friends with my smith for over 30 years, so he would have let me in on any problems with fitting. His only comment was the excessive metal on the slide which required a lot of removal before it would begin fitting on the frame. I've probably got 2000-3000 rounds through it and 95% of those were in 01-02 & 03. Now it just sits and waits for someone to need a hardball gun for the EIC matches and Camp Perry.

I have absolutely no issues with it. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm going to see him on Monday to try the gun. I don't think reliability will be an issue as he has been shooting for about to years with no problems, I just wonder about the accuracy at 50 yards. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to test it at that distance. Thanks for the replies.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:35 pm

You don't have to test it at 50 yards. If it has a nice group at 25 yards, then it will be fine at 50.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:59 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:greener has a built up gun with an essex slide and it shoots quite well.... at least it did before he started to "fix" it :P
Better feeling trigger and shot low right (as it did when we fired it) and grouped fairly well at 25 yards. I adjusted the sights and got it back on center. This one shoots pretty well considering it was me shooting it and I'd spent more time than I wanted to under the kitchen sink this weekend.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Baldy wrote:Proof is in the pudding as grandma always said. The price is not out of line if it shoots well for you. He's willing to give you some rounds to try it out and the gunsmith who put it all together is in the club. I think from what you have said they are just trying to get you to join them at a fair price for the pistol. Good luck. :)
I agree. If it functions and shoots consistently, this one could be better commercial pistols around that price.