Hunter holster salvage

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Hunter holster salvage

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Never been happy with my Single Six holsters. Little out there except an inch too long Bianchi Lawman, or an FBI cant Ruger (Triple K), or too big Uncle Mike / Blackhawk nylon. Unless you want a full Western rig. I have a Ruger and a Blackhawk, so thought I'd try a Hunter.

This is a generic fit, so it didn't fit very well until I wet it and shaped it a bit to my plastic wrapped gun. Next problem is that it comes as stiff as wood. So a little Coach leather dressing, and ouch!, the finish wipes off! Turns out Hunter uses a spray dye on their leather. Cheap, cheap.

So, I removed all of this crummy finish with rubbing alcohol, reshaped the holster and dried it. Then applied a light coat of Kiwi Neatsfoot Oil, enough to give an even color. Neatsfoot gets a bad rap because people use it way too heavy, but I've used it years and years with no problem.

I think I now have a decent holster, spending time and effort to save my $33 investment. Hunter could spray an oil finish as easily as a surface dye, and have a better product.

I also cut a deeper curve to expose my rear sight, as the blade was digging into leather. You wouldn't need this with a fixed sight gun.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:41 pm

I've had finished run on me too, it sure can be a mess. Of all the dyes I use I hate the Black the most. It has so much pigment it gets every where and is harder to remove the haze from when it dries. But since most every one has moved to an enviromential safe finish (water based) they don't hold up like the old oil base does.

Neatsfoot oil does more harm to the leather if you use it more the twice a year. But like you said most use way too much. Tandy Leather now Leather Factory has a product called Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator ( http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... =Product_6 ) it's in paste form. This product does wonders to dried out leather. I have used this on boots and ball gloves that have so much dry rot you would throw them out. It's a mix of oil's and waxes that bring the leather back to life. I currently use Lexor Leather Conditioner on most all of my leather projects. It's also is a mix of oil and waxes but lighter. But with most, all of these conditioners can damage a finish due to there penetration capabilities.

Glad you found a holster to fill your need. I know how hard it is to find one these days.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Glad you both found suitable solutions (pardon the pun please).
For all the same issues you mentioned, I just make my own (from leather)
It's cheaper, only takes a little time and is always a custom fit.
I do have a manual leather sewing machine though that is a really big help. It will sew up to 3/4 inch in leather It's "The BOSS" from Tippmann Industries.
Made my first holster in 2nd grade for my cap pistol. It looks like a second grade kid made it, but I still have it. Hopefully, I've improved on technique since then. For me at least, gun leather is just another extension of the sport/hobby.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:50 am

What a coinkydink, I was just bemoaning the lack of a suitable holster for my Single Six.

Any chance of a picture of the finished product?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:57 am

Downeaster wrote:What a coinkydink, I was just bemoaning the lack of a suitable holster for my Single Six.

Any chance of a picture of the finished product?
I'm not up on photo posting here, wish we could do direct uploads. The holster just went from an orange-y brown to a Hershey bar brown. I cut a rounded dip in the front over the rear sight, about 3/4 inch lower than original.

Removing the finish left an ugly mess, different color splotches and dark specks everywhere. That will likely reappear when the holster gets dry.
Medicine Hat wrote: For all the same issues you mentioned, I just make my own (from leather)
It's cheaper, only takes a little time and is always a custom fit.
Years back, I too made all of my holsters, to get just what I wanted. After a few disasters, they turned out as well as factory. The thing was, I had a friendly Tandy leather store with a "scrap box". I could usually find a good one holster piece for a few dollars. That store closed several years ago.

No more Hunter holsters for me. The Bianchi Lawman is the best Single Six holster I know about, outside of some full cowboy rigs. Only thing is, they only make it for the 6.5 inch Single Six. I'll probably still get one.

Ruger's Triple K made holster is very well made for the price, if you like the forward tilt and thumb break style.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Whoa! I just looked at Midway's site, where the Bianchi Lawman is 85 bucks. Less than a year ago it was 50! I have wriiten Midway and Hunter to hopefully get some adjustment on the Hunter junk.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:09 am

Ruger22 wrote:I'm not up on photo posting here, wish we could do direct uploads.
If you don't have a hosting site, like Photobucket or picasa, then you can email me the picture and I'll place it in your post for you from the GTOL server.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:07 am

Bullseye wrote:
Ruger22 wrote:I'm not up on photo posting here, wish we could do direct uploads.
If you don't have a hosting site, like Photobucket or picasa, then you can email me the picture and I'll place it in your post for you from the GTOL server.

R,
Bullseye
I tried both when I own hosting from Yahoo. Picasa is the easiest to use as far as I am concerned.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:36 am

Another option is Imageshack which is what I use. I found it easier than photobucket at the time I was looking.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 pm

I'll figure out the photos someday. Anyhow, Midway won't refund (didn't expect them to) and after talking to Hunter by phone, they said to send it for a look-see. So I did, but don't know what they'll do.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Hunter finally got back to me, must have been on a holiday shut-down. They are sending a replacement holster, and a recommendation to only use care products suitable for harness or saddle leather.

I am surprised, since the holster's demise was mainly my mistake. That's very generous on Hunter's part. I just didn't imagine something that worked well on one holster would be such a disaster for another.

I'll stick to tried and true Lexol cleaner and conditioner from now on.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm

It's good to see companies stand behind their products. Some still believe the customer is always right, even when they innocently screw up. They know you'll likely buy from them again because of good service. Plus, you'll probably tell ten others about their product and excellent customer service. When it comes down to it that's cheap advertising.

R,
Bullseye