Don't be a victim

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Don't be a victim

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:30 pm

We have a monthy safety meeting where I work, and this month we had a guest speaker from the Detroit Police Dept. He is a
Detective that used to work patrol. The topic this month was geared toward "field workers", such as myself, but there was a lot of
excellent advice that would be practical for all peoples. One of the more dangerous places to be is a "parking lot", especially during this time of year.
Just like a preditor animal, these brazen thugs wait for a victom based on certain weaknesses.

These incidents were caught on camera:
Example: Woman in a parking lot who returns to her car after shopping, opens her door, or trunk, leans inside the car to insert goods
and the thug puts a gun to her back, pushes her in, and takes off with her in the car. He then has his way with her, robs her, and possibly kills her.

Example: A well schooled crook waits at a somewhat secluded elevator, without the call button pushed, for a easy target. Easy target gets in, he follows and robs her. We seen actual footage of this very incident, with the lady getting robbed. Horrible twist to this particular story is that the woman suffered a heart attack and died. Needless to say, there are many emotional scars, even death, resulting from such attacks.

Example: A fellow pulls up to a gas station to fill up, then goes to get back in his car. Out of "nowhere" come 3 thugs, one of the thugs shoot, kill, and rob him, without provacation in broad daylight. The strange part of this is that the other patrons at the gas station don't even realize this crime went down!

There were many other stories and incidents, but, in each case, there are some basic techniques
people can use to possibly prevent them from being a victom. When going to and from a parking lot to your car, scan the area completey, a firearm would be
a good choice, don't turn your back to possible trouble. Park a little closer to the store. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for
help if you become suspicious. Stay away from elevators. Stay in well lit areas. NEVER leave your purse or valuables UNATTEDED! Be smart, and realize that you COULD be the next victom.
I know there are some leo's in here that could share some stories and advice, maybe it would be a good things to do.
BE CAREFUL,
Haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:56 pm

It's a shame :( that some people take advantage of the season to hurt others.

Where I use to work they did the same thing, but in November they covered latter and electrical safety. Knowing that some would be putting up decorations, this was aimed at them. Just taking that extra step to move a latter can make the difference of not falling and getting hurt. It's always best to have someone to help hold/stabilize the latter. When you get to powering the lights up it help to know how much wattage you have so you do not over load a circuit and have an electrical fire. And the use of GFCI protection. Most newer homes (>1990) have GFCI outlets outside and in the garage where older homes may not. Then when things get wet the hazards go up.

Everyone be safe and enjoy the season.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Used to shoot at an indoor range run by an old retired Detroit Detective Sergeant who left after his 2 years and did training for the Government. He was involved in at least a dozen shootings in his PD days and we did discuss a lot of SD together. He was pretty much my mentor in that field. I remember well what he taught me.

Example, young tough guy attempts to hold up old man and dog, Young bad guy leaves in body bag as, old man reloads primary sidearm. :roll:
Last edited by bearandoldman on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:54 pm

A tragic element to the gas station story is that the victim never even seen the bag guy coming. The BG just snuck up behind the victim and shot him. The victim never had a chance to think about using and SD items. He was alive one moment, dead the next. That's why a person has to KNOW their surroundings before they go into them. ALWAYS keep ALL of your senses on guard.
3 eyed Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 pm

"Situational awareness" is an important part of self defense. Know your surroundings and the possible threats within it. Being mentally prepared to ward off attacks is a mindset that anyone who hopes to survive a violent attack must contemplate. The BG's are trying to prey on the weak and unprepared and their tactics are to set someone off guard to conduct their nefarious business.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Hakaman wrote:A tragic element to the gas station story is that the victim never even seen the bag guy coming. The BG just snuck up behind the victim and shot him.
Well, there's not a very effective defense against an assasination or dedicated murderer ... except not pissing people off to that degree.
Otherwise don't be a soft target and opportunistic predators will steer clear (one way or another) most of the time.

But if someone wakes up and decided to kill BFD in the morning, and is willing to study the habits of BFD, stalk BFD, and is willing to off BFD in public, I'm pretty much screwed.
On the other hand, if I was an opportunistic predator, I'd be just riding elevators up and down, lurking in parking lots outside Gun Free Zones, or following people with kids around ... all ways to get your daily robbery/rape/thrillkill prescription filled. Some victim will be along if the predator is patient.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:56 am

I have talked to a lot of folks whose attacker "just appeared out of nowhere" and "I can't believe it happened to me".....the folks who pay attention to the world around them tend to not be victims as much as those who live in their little bubble oblivious to whats is going on

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:33 am

A while back, there were a number of folks robbed in their driveways. They were apparently followed home from a shopping center and then robbed when they got out of the car. The robberies stopped when one citizen was armed. Rounds fired, bad guys fled, no more robberies of that type.

Situational awareness, preparation and execution of the plan.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:37 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I have talked to a lot of folks whose attacker "just appeared out of nowhere" and "I can't believe it happened to me".....the folks who pay attention to the world around them tend to not be victims as much as those who live in their little bubble oblivious to whats is going on
Bet you have heard a lot being in the trades. You have to be observant. Young friend of mine works part time at a local gun sales shop. Was talking to him one day when 2 rough looking characters walked in and asked something about a used car dealer next door, we answered their question and they left. My young friend turned to me after they left and said, "Oldman. you had your hand on your piece?" Yes, I did and was prepared to use it if forced to.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:24 am

greener wrote:The robberies stopped when one citizen was armed. Rounds fired, bad guys fled, no more robberies of that type.
SURPRISE!

Sounds like they got a mild case of "incorrect victim selection syndrome"
Side effects include leaking from new orifi, inability to leave a small room for extended periods, and loss of "street cred"

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:42 am

bigfatdave wrote:
greener wrote:The robberies stopped when one citizen was armed. Rounds fired, bad guys fled, no more robberies of that type.
SURPRISE!

Sounds like they got a mild case of "incorrect victim selection syndrome"
Side effects include leaking from new orifi, inability to leave a small room for extended periods, and loss of "street cred"
And that can be hazardous to your health. :o

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:53 am

I'm not surprised that everyone here believes in "Situational awareness" as the basis of the rest of our SD plan. Not much chance to deploy my pocket 500 Mag hand cannon if I'm in bliss of what is going on around me. I'm a Col Cooper disciple and he came up with workable personal color condition levels decades ago. Regards[/code]
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:25 am

Keeping "your head on a swivel" is important at all times. More than once I've looked off someone who's intent may have been questionable. In many cases that is all that's needed, a predator is looking for an easy victim, not someone who may be readily prepared to do them harm back. The "clueless" are easy to surprise and stun, therefore is is far easier to prey on them using pounce/ambush tactics.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:26 am

a predator is looking for an easy victim, not someone who may be readily prepared to do them harm back. The "clueless" are easy to surprise and stun, therefore is is far easier to prey on them using pounce/ambush tactics.
It always amazes me how criminals instinctively "mimic" animals.
If you are are fan of animal planet, discovery channel, or Nat Geo,
you will see this is the technique of most preditors: lions, cheetahs, leopards, etc.
They "size up" their prey victims, and "choose" the easiest target.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:34 pm

I tend to agree because criminals are not much farther up the evolutionary chain than animals in my book. In fact they may be just below, as animals prey on other animals for food not for opportunity or sport.

R,
Bullseye