adjustable aperture

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

adjustable aperture

Post by Hakaman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:25 pm

I have been looking for an adjustable aperture rear sight for my RRA's NM LAR-15.
I have the A2 version fixed sight handle with the .040" peep sight. Brownell's offers this model,

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2674 ... TURE_SIGHT

and that brings me to a couple questions:
1) Does this model fit on my RRA's NM rifle?
2) Would this be the model you would order?
3) Is it difficult to install?
Finally,(sorry)
4) Is it legal for 'service rifle competition?
thank you, haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 pm

An adjustable aperture sight will fit your AR if it is an A2 configuration sight. All you do is replace the rear flip aperture with the adjustable one. I have a similar one (Merit) in my Palma rifle. I use Redfield Olympic sights on that rifle.

Fairly easy to install this sight. Just tap out the roll pin on the windage knob and unscrew the windage pin. Remove the flip aperature base and screw in the merit onto the windage pin screw until the base is centered in on the pin and the roll pin hole is upward. Reinstall the windage knob (ensure the detent ball and spring are installed) and tap in the roll pin with a pin punch.

It would not be legal for Service Rifle competition. Your rifle would be classified as a "match" rifle with this sight installed. If your shooting local matches you would have to check with the match director as how they would classify your rifle, sometimes they have more loose restrictions. If your highpower rifle scores are to be sent to the NRA for classification then you definitely would not classify for a service rifle with that sight installed.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks BE, helpful info,
haka