Range Bag

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Just what I need. And one of these to roll it

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... a=forklift

Actually, one of the really into it black powder guys has a great looking range box. Think I'm going to make a poor copy of that one.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:46 am

Don't forget to design in to it a "beverage holder" and a "brass holder".
It wouldn't qualify as a range bag/box/cart/etc without them.
:wink:
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:13 am

Did you ever see ther carts that some of the Cowboy shooters have. Gius, and extra guns, a,,o and just about everything but the kitchen sink, and that may be there too.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 am

I have never seen the cowboy folk's carts, but the service rifle people seem to have their stuff in a canvas wheeled cart. There are so many odds and ends to each shooting discipline that you need a "hatchback" car to tote it all in. I takes as much time setting up as it does to shoot a match.
H

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 am

Haka, remember that a SASS ie Cowboy shooter's standard arms are, 2 revolvers, a lever rifle, or pump and a shotgun, lever, pump or SxS. And maybe a spare, in case it breaks gun plus 2 or 3 kinds of ammo, space for fired brass, etc. The use 2 wheeled wide tire carts or small wagons as they usuall have to leave the hard surfaced paths. A horse and wagon would really do the job best,

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:28 am

http://www.backpocketguncart.com/
Mine looks similar to this. I made mine pretty much with scrap lumber and using 14 inch wheels bought from a hardware store. Total investment about $25 and time. I use it for .22 steel challenge as well as CAS. Mine folds down (the back hinges forward, and latches to the box frame on front) for transport in the car/pickup. Folded, it handles like a hand truck. It sure beats packing all that stuff in 3-4 trips from car to shooting area.
My 'handle, gun rack area" holds 5 long guns, and the box holds pistols and ammo.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm

I want one of those SASS carts, even though I'm not into SASS.

The tactical wheelbarrow isn't a new concept, apparently.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 pm

addendum: I made the box on the cart so it can lift off seperately. It can get heavy with ammo, and makes the stowing away of the rest of the cart easier. Also, it was made to be 16 inches to the top of the box, from the ground when assembled (chair height). One advantage of DIY is that you can customize it to suit your needs, guns, etc. I made mine as narrow as possible (but it still is 18 in wide at the wheels) so it would easily fit behind the seat of the extended cab pickup (Out of the weather).
If ya' got some scraps of wood, sheet rock screws, Elmer's glue, and wheels, you can make whatever suits your personal needs. I've even seen some that have a bracket attached to the handle area to use a sun / shade (think umbrella) if needed.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 pm

edit: sun/rain shade

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:54 pm

We have a "Cowboy Action" league at our club, although I have never watching 'em shoot. I sense they have a lot of equip like OM says they do. I bet half the time they spend is transporting to and fro and setting up. I spose you've go to have alot of time to spend on it. I do like that "back pocket" gun cart though.
h

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

bearandoldman wrote:How about something like this, Image
Saw this one in lowe's today. Radio and fridge. Seems like the way to go although you might need a portable generator to run your tool box.

http://www.squidoo.com/kobalt-16-drawer ... tool-chest

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am

That is the Kennedy tool box I used when I was working as a service tech for Yamaha products and lawn and garden power equipment. It is small compared to the Snap On boxes that most of the guys have now. They got base cabinets 6 or better feet wide. They are definitely for use on smooth paved surfaces only.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:18 am

Hakaman wrote:After looking at various brands of prices starting at $25 to $300, I decided to get the bag from Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... =939259680
It would be hard to go wrong at this price, and it has several hundred positive reviews.
thanks, Haka

ps, are the carts motorized ?
bgreene bought one on Haka's recommendation. I had a chance to look at it yesterday. I may get one, but I've been (unjustly) accused of copying him. The bag looks like a good design.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am

bgreene bought one on Haka's recommendation. I had a chance to look at it yesterday. I may get one, but I've been (unjustly) accused of copying him. The bag looks like a good design.
I think it would be hard to beat this bag for what it costs, and what it offers. It is actually two bags in one. I don't know if it's still on sale or not? but I got it for $39.99.
Even at $50 it is a great deal.
Haka

just checked, the price is $39.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... =939259680

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am

Just getting ready to throw a gun or two in the back of the range bag and Bear in the back seat and fire it up and drive it to the range, it's damn near 40F.