Range Bag

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Range Bag

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:10 pm

I am looking for a decent quality range bag that would hold 3 pistols, ammo, and accessories. Anybody have any recommendations ?
Haka

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Nothing in particular comes to mind...because, it entirely depends on your pistols, holsers, belts, how you pack your ammo, ear protection, eye protection, other stuff (there is always other stuff)
My favorite range bag was a premium prize from NRA for something I either bought, donated or something (can't remember) It has a large central pocket, 2 long deep side pockets, zipper pockets on the outside of that and 2 large zippered end pockets. with other smaller sub-divisons of some of the pockets.
If you would check with 'Midway', Brownell's', 'Dillon Precisiion' etc. or whoever your favorite catalog is, there is an almost endless supply of endless designs. Lots of holster suppliers also have range bags. One thing I did to mine was add a stiff (like masonite) thin bottom in the main section with foam padding and a cloth cover (inside) so it doesn't look like a big funnel when you pick it up, and jam stuff all together.
If you go to a range, look around, and ask other folks to see what they have too. Everybody likes to show off their stuff.
Range bags are like cars, women, wine, etc. What suits me may not be OK for you. Good hunting.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Midway has a couple of them for sale this month in their sale flyer.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:39 pm

thanks guys, I'll check em out.
h

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am

I bought a soft-sided tool bag. Like the one on the right. Holds more than I want to carry and is reinforced. I also use the smaller one on the left.

I've been thinking about a mobile tool chest
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... ork+Center

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:56 am

My favorite is a BAGMASTER 12"Hx14L" and 14" deep. The center section is 14"X8" and has an adjustable divider. The center section will hold full size muffs, and other supplies. There are two side pockets that each have removable 10"X11" padded sleeves. I have sometimes had a pistol in each sleeve, and another beside it in the lightly padded outer side pocket with no damage to any of the four pistols. It has handles and a top strap that works well to carry it leaving hands free. If, I remember to load it :wink: in my truck I have everything needed for a range section(batteries,jointed cleaning rod,muffs, ammo,tools,etc) all easy to access without dumping out the contents. It looks like new after five years of constant use. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:23 am

I can't get the vehicle close to the shooting area like BAOM and bgreenea3. We have a parking area, a walk down a drop of about 10' and then a walk to the range area. 4 pistols, ammo, targets, tools leave one listing to port or starboard. I see the younger folks using wheeled-type bags/boxes. Time I joined the younger generation.

http://www.bagmaster.com/
The bagmasters look very good. I may have seen a few folks with them. I guess you could always add a set of wheels to it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZ ... H0X4E7RYY7

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:48 am

I'm cheapo. I just use a large Flambeau 23" carry toolbox, Model 23800, they make a 27" one, too..

No tray, and I removed the ribs that held up the tray. I can put in two plastic handgun cases (or three rugs), two rubber prairie dog targets, muffs, small binocs and lots of ammo, with room to spare. Even has a padlock hole.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:54 am

greener wrote:I can't get the vehicle close to the shooting area like BAOM and bgreenea3. ]
I think I am going to start backing in and then I will not have to walk all the way from the rear of the vehicle. If I leave the tailgate open I will have a bench to work off easier than the tables that are there now.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:25 pm

You are correct that my Bagmaster has no wheels :( I forgot to mention that I back right up to the bench, and only use the bag for it's organzation and the protection of pistol finishes. I particulary like the fact that when I pull a pistol out in it's padded sleeve it gives me something to lay the pistol on at the bench. Mine is not to heavy because I carry my ammo in a small softside cooler to deal with TX heat. Regards

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:26 pm

re: Greener. Check out Cowboy Action type gun carts. Lots of folks sell them, lots of folks build them I made mine, It's purposly a little on the small side but still holds 4 long guns. has an ammo box that is about 12x14x16 with a lid that is also a seat, other storage areas, 12 inch wheels in back, and a standing leg in front. The upright handle/gun rack on the back folds and latches either up or down. When its down and latched, it looks like a fat hand cart. Empty, it weighs about 10 lbs. The large wheel help it get up and down stairs, over rocky and sandy places where smaller wheel don't work so well. My total cost for materials was about $25 for the wheels with steel axle. Then scrap lumber already on hand. For a web search, just type in 'CAS gun carts' or SASS gun carts. Sort of think of a golf cart with an attitude, ego, and on steroids.
RE: BAOM. I learned to back in to our firing line this year. One of those oof da moments, why didn't I think of this before.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:31 pm

I use a MTM dry box.... kinda like a plastic ammo can. then carry the guns in a separate case

I think I like this one
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/ha ... s-su4.html

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

gun carts

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 pm

http://www.mustangwoodcrafters.com/cate ... bAodICTd3Q
My cart look very similar to this one. I did build mine so the handle/gun rack, when upright, tilts back about 10-15 degress, and latches in place so it and the guns can't tip forward. A built in hinged wood bar or bungie cord is extra security for the guns when upright.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 pm

After looking at various brands of prices starting at $25 to $300, I decided to get the bag from Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... =939259680
It would be hard to go wrong at this price, and it has several hundred positive reviews.
thanks, Haka

ps, are the carts motorized ?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:32 pm

HAK, that looks to be almost the same size and layout as the one I use. What I really like as it is easy to store items so that you don't have to dump everything out to find what you need. Now one thing that yours has that mine doesn't is:"•Left side compartments - 1 Padded zippered pocket, and 1 padded beverage holder with drain hole" Really HAK, a beverage holder :wink: